Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ZPI Installation question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2007, 10:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ZPI Installation question

I was thinking about purchasing the ZPI stage 0 kit for my 07 a/t TC and I noticed that in some of the pictures that it looks like some of the piping from the turbo kit might obstruct my TRD strut tower brace. I can't tell if it's just the angle of the picture or if it'll really get in the way. I was just wondering if anyone could confirm this for me

Also while i'm at it, is anyone in SoCal or just Cali in general runnin the ZPI kit? I was curious to see if anyone has run into any legality problems like it not being CARB legal or cops giving fix it tickets or whatever. Just wanna know if anyone has really run into any serious problems. I would just go with the TRD supercharger but for the money I don't think it's worth it
Old 06-05-2007, 11:00 PM

I Have a stage 0 and i had that problem,but you can cut about 1/2"-1" Off the charge pipe on the throttle body side. I did that, and i havent had a problem since. I run the dc sports strut tower bar, which is one of the bigger bulkier ones, so you having the trd bar,you may not have to cut that much off.I used a rotozip and it was a nice clean cut, no jagged edges ot anything. Goodluck with your future zpi kit!
Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yep you can just trim it down to fit, then make sure you sand and round the corners so it doesn't blow the coupler
Old 06-05-2007, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default Re: ZPI Installation question

Originally Posted by XIEmperorIX
I was thinking about purchasing the ZPI stage 0 kit for my 07 a/t TC and I noticed that in some of the pictures that it looks like some of the piping from the turbo kit might obstruct my TRD strut tower brace. I can't tell if it's just the angle of the picture or if it'll really get in the way. I was just wondering if anyone could confirm this for me

Also while i'm at it, is anyone in SoCal or just Cali in general runnin the ZPI kit? I was curious to see if anyone has run into any legality problems like it not being CARB legal or cops giving fix it tickets or whatever. Just wanna know if anyone has really run into any serious problems. I would just go with the TRD supercharger but for the money I don't think it's worth it
well i've been running the stage 0 on my 5 spd for 6 months here in so cal (irvine) and have actually had police behind me for lengths of up to 8 miles an never been pulled over or gotten a fix it ticket....its all about how you drive and how much control of the throttle you have....you can shift gears without being in boost, etc.....as for smog...well you can take it off come smog time and return it to stock, or you can bribe with some $$$.....some buddies of mine just did some mountain runs....and between my zpi kit, the trd supercharger, and the turbonetics kit, we all still are running strong with no problems, and no fix it tickets....
Old 06-06-2007, 12:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: ZPI Installation question

well i've been running the stage 0 on my 5 spd for 6 months here in so cal (irvine) and have actually had police behind me for lengths of up to 8 miles an never been pulled over or gotten a fix it ticket....its all about how you drive and how much control of the throttle you have....you can shift gears without being in boost, etc.....as for smog...well you can take it off come smog time and return it to stock, or you can bribe with some $$$.....some buddies of mine just did some mountain runs....and between my zpi kit, the trd supercharger, and the turbonetics kit, we all still are running strong with no problems, and no fix it tickets....
Thats good to know. I'll probably just get smogged illegally not sure if i wanna have to take the whole kit off and put it back on but whatever lol so now my biggest concern is having to shave the piping down to get my strut tower to fit lol oh well..time to save some bills I originally was just gonna wait till i could get a car in stick to screw with but the more I drive my TC the more i realize how much I love driving it
Old 06-06-2007, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I have been boosted by ZPI since November 05 and really have had no problems with law enforcement except for the usual speeding ticket. Heck a CHP officer took a long look at the front of my car and I could not tell if he was looking at the intercooler or looking for my front license plate (it is offset to the driver’s side so it was hard for him to see). After that when I tried to give him my registration and insurance from the glove box the greddy blue fell out . He still only gave me a tint ticket.
Old 06-06-2007, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by OuterHeaven
Well I have been boosted by ZPI since November 05 and really have had no problems with law enforcement except for the usual speeding ticket. Heck a CHP officer took a long look at the front of my car and I could not tell if he was looking at the intercooler or looking for my front license plate (it is offset to the driver’s side so it was hard for him to see). After that when I tried to give him my registration and insurance from the glove box the greddy blue fell out . He still only gave me a tint ticket.
lol yeah. I think I even heard somewhere that if cops spent there time busting people for cars that aren't street legal they wouldn't have time for anything else. My main concern is passing smog but I think i can deal with that little problem. I'm alittle iffy about screwing with my warranty but how else am i gonna have any fun? =D
Old 06-06-2007, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm boosted as well, no zpi, but haven't had any popo issues yet. As a matter of fact, I had a cop tell me I had a nice car when I was pumping gas LOL. Its always nice when you meet a cool cop. Boost ur tC, you'll L.O.V.E IT!!!!!! Its like crack and i'm an addict!
Old 06-06-2007, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Emperor,

If you need any help installing your kit, drop me a pm and we can xchange numbers. We've done 2 zpi installs since May. They are pretty flawless, but there are a couple "modifications" that need to be done that are not included with the instructions.
Old 06-06-2007, 03:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bcnu_702
Emperor,

If you need any help installing your kit, drop me a pm and we can xchange numbers. We've done 2 zpi installs since May. They are pretty flawless, but there are a couple "modifications" that need to be done that are not included with the instructions.
Hey thanks man! Although it'll be a long time before I can get the kit lol a good 7-10 months if I play my cards right I just wanted to start doing my research now. And all you guys have been really helpful thanks
Old 06-06-2007, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

7-10 months! I said the same thing!..."by the end of the year i'll be boosted"
You start research now and that bug will bite hard. You'll find a way.
my 7 months has now dropped to 2-3 weeks!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
7-10 months! I said the same thing!..."by the end of the year i'll be boosted"
You start research now and that bug will bite hard. You'll find a way.
my 7 months has now dropped to 2-3 weeks!!!
thats nuts man. Unfortunately I don't have the means to earn cash that fast

BTW, bcnu, what kind of custom modifications are you reffering to with the ZPI kit?
Old 06-06-2007, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, with what research I have done I came up with a set up I was considering

deathschwerks fuel injectors (410cc or 440cc)

zpi racing intercooler 18x6x2

zpi racing stage 0 turbo kit

NGK Iridium spark plugs (just for good measure)

Summit racing a/t cooler

greddy emanage ultimate (if you guys can reccomend another one that'd be cool to, I don't know much about engine/fuel management, this is just one i've seen mentioned)

greddy emanage ultimate complete harness

AEM uego 6 in 1 wideband controller

AEm 4 in 1 oil temperature gauge

AEM 4 in 1 Oil Pressure gauge

AEM digital Boost Guage

comments? reccomendations? noob bashing?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also, with what research I have done I came up with a set up I was considering

deathschwerks fuel injectors (410cc or 440cc)

zpi racing intercooler 18x6x2

zpi racing stage 0 turbo kit

NGK Iridium spark plugs (just for good measure)

Summit racing a/t cooler

greddy emanage ultimate (if you guys can reccomend another one that'd be cool to, I don't know much about engine/fuel management, this is just one i've seen mentioned)

greddy emanage ultimate complete harness

AEM uego 6 in 1 wideband controller

AEm 4 in 1 oil temperature gauge

AEM 4 in 1 Oil Pressure gauge

AEM digital Boost Guage

comments? reccomendations? noob bashing?
Just get the zpi stage 1 if your gonna get a BOV, Intercooler and the like. Also, you can get a B&M Tranny Cooler (what I'm using) off of Amazon.com for like $40. The other thing to is, i'd hold off on the emanage to see how the new AEM F/IC unit turns out. It sounds like it may be a great piggy back system. But all that looks good bro. You prolly only need one or the other of the oil temp/pressure gauges.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Won't the stage 1 be a lot harder on my engine? boosting at 9-10 psi right? I'm a noob to this stuff lol I was gonna just go with the stage 0 cause it boosts so much lower but yeah, like I said i'm a noob
Old 06-06-2007, 10:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Won't the stage 1 be a lot harder on my engine? boosting at 9-10 psi right? I'm a noob to this stuff lol I was gonna just go with the stage 0 cause it boosts so much lower but yeah, like I said i'm a noob
Yes and no. The stage 0 has a smaller wastegate spring in it. The spring that comes with the stage 1 is just a different spring. So, what you'd do is get the stage 1 kit and either buy a boost controller to run lower boost or just have them send you the 6 psi spring that they include in the stage 0 kit. Your best option is going with the larger spring and controlling your boost level with a boost controller. So then you can adjust your boost level quick and easy. Make sense?
Old 06-06-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah. thanks man. maybe I will go with the stage 1
Old 06-06-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah. thanks man. maybe I will go with the stage 1
THat'd be the easier way to go if you are already planning on getting an inter-cooler and bov, which is a good idea. By the way, It looks like your learning the right way too. Keep up the good work! For some more good info on boost and the like, subscribe to Turbo Mag, Modified Mag and the like. THey have GREAT tech articles and explain how everything works. on this site, malloyonyx, dyltone, paul dezod, turbo toyota's are all super knowledgeable peeps when it comes to turboing cars. THere are a ton more as well, hope I don't offend anyone
Old 06-06-2007, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I thought you could not turn the boost any lower then what the spring is? for example, if you have a 7psi spring, you run at 7psi, and with a boost controller, you can up it to 9 or whatever.
But if you wanna run 5psi, you would need the 5psi spring, and with a boost controller, up it to 7 or 9 psi.

OH, and those are all the gauges I have, minus the oil temp. And I got the AEM tru boost which is a digital boost gauge and a guage type boost controller in one.

But yeah, if your gonna get all that, get the ZPI stage 1 and ask for the 5psi spring instead of the stage 0 kit.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

well the stage 0 actually comes with a higher psi spring....when you do the install, you will need to open your wastegate and switch out the spring inside for the actual 6 psi spring they give you.....if you don't do this, you'll be boosting around 9 psi, which you aren't equipped for....if you're gonna go with the intercooler, emanage ultimate, bigger injectors, and bov, you might as well get the stage 1 kit....remember, when saving up for this project, save about an extra 1000 or so for tuneing costs, extra supplies (dependant on if you do it yourself), and other odds and ends costs.....

Quick Reply: ZPI Installation question