Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ZPI on PIPES tv Show.....*video of Episodes 1-5* ZPI on pg 7

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 07:02 PM
SL Member

"When I said you would practically spray the whole time, I was speaking along the lines of you running 87 octane (Being unsafe on a non-factory turboed car)"

you can still rur 87 octane on a boosted car. just not while its in boost. so thats why im scratching my head over the "spraying the whole time comment"
Old 05-30-2007, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Brett
you can still rur 87 octane on a boosted car. just not while its in boost. so thats why im scratching my head over the "spraying the whole time comment"

Yeah you see, my right foot has a problem with the whole "just not while its in boost" thing....
Old 05-30-2007, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Dyltone
Originally Posted by Whocares05050
Also, why would they need the methanol injection? The only reason anyone runs meth is to "lower" their necessary octane for a given amount of boost. Stage Zero at 6 psi would definitely run on pump gas so maybe they were running some stupid amount of boost with no intercooler, that's where the meth comes in.
And your point is...? Please tell me where I said that is lowers your octane. IT LOWERS THE "NECESSARY" OCTANE which is EXACTLY WHAT IT DOES.

I'm sorry you guys don't speak or understand English, is there another language you would prefer?
..was just pointing out the quote everyone was fighting about
Old 05-30-2007, 07:17 PM
SL Member

jumping a little off topic for a sec. now that you drivetrain has a little more hair on its chest. when can we expect to see some new track times? (i didnt use pm because i have a feeling im not the only curious party?) the 12 sec club is getting bigger. you gonna join any time soon?
Old 05-30-2007, 07:18 PM
Banned
SL Member

I'ma skip that club
Old 05-30-2007, 07:19 PM
SL Member

I'ma skip that club
lol. gotta crawl before you can walk.
Old 05-30-2007, 07:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

jumping a little off topic for a sec. now that you drivetrain has a little more hair on its chest. when can we expect to see some new track times? (i didnt use pm because i have a feeling im not the only curious party?) the 12 sec club is getting bigger. you gonna join any time soon?

I think I will savor the occasion for the Scion ShootOut. Trying to get the Z back sliding sideways as I'm missing her. The rear has been stripped a little (just for the hell of it). I'm going to add a few little touch up graphics here and there (Nismo, little vynl on the front..etc.) and then off to get a Competition Clutch and Flywheel dropped in.

I knew something had to be done when a few members of my own car club chapter did not know I owned a 350z too...
Old 05-30-2007, 09:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

WARNING ZPI, Kenny Strickler, The Scion Store, and ArtisanPerformance.com
Old 05-30-2007, 10:09 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet
Originally Posted by etsnet
AJ, I guess you'll never stop. Meth injection increases octane not lowering it. They may not of needed it but remember they had to prepare for the next rounds also. It's a game and they had to prepare for the future.
Where did you see me state that Meth injection lowers octane?

Originally Posted by dyltone
Also, why would they need the methanol injection? The only reason anyone runs meth is to "lower" their necessary octane for a given amount of boost. Stage Zero at 6 psi would definitely run on pump gas so maybe they were running some stupid amount of boost with no intercooler, that's where the meth comes in.
If you read what I wrote, I said it lowers the necessary octane for a given amount of boost.

if you run 300hp on 93 octane and you want 400hp, you'll need race gas or you run 93 octane plus meth injection to achieve your goal.

Anything incorrect about that statement?
if you read ALL of what he says, you'll see that he is simply saying that with meth injection, you can run a lower octane fuel. mabey if it was worded different you could understand it a little better.

(The only reason anyone runs meth is to "lower" their necessary octane for a given amount of boost).

translation=its not necessary to run 100 octane. you can run a lower octane fuel, if using meth injection.

i hope this helps clear up any confusion. i know aj can ____ alot of people off. but hes not that stupid.
I get it. If that's what he meant then I'll man up and say sorry AJ. Probably should of worded it like that. I've told you before I was a little slow.
good on you paul its nice to see some class with all this feuding going on. but on that note im glad to see alot of debate. that means that learning is ocurring. and afeter all thats what this site is for.
Old 05-31-2007, 01:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Back on topic, from ZPI's website forum:

To eliminate the continued speculation, here is a breakdown of what caused us to lose in round 2 of the Pipes television competition.

The Fox Marketing tC powered by ZPIracing was built for the Pipes show. ZPI assembled the car from a bare shell in 3 days. We left the shop for approximately 3-4 hours a day. We did not even sleep the evening before we drove to Arkansas for the filming of round one. This has a lot to do with our issues faced in round 2 of the competition.

Issue #1 We removed the power steering, a/c, etc., from the car anticipating a head swap in round 3 which would allow us to swap the head in the allotted time. We did not realize until about 11 pm on the night we needed to leave at midnight that this would not work due to the water pump. We had an hour to come up with a solution so we reinstalled the power steering pump and a/c compressor so that we could run a stock belt for the water pump…this laid the ground work for the first issue. We attempted to reroute the hose into pump reservoir to circulate the fluid and keep the pump cool. This works in theory, however, not so well in practical use. Ultimately, the pump overheated and locked which is the main cause of the idling issues in round two. We had this same issue in round 1and it just continued to get worse.

Issue #2 We installed a cracked radiator. Like I said, this car was assembled in little to no time and we installed a bad radiator. We realized this at the shop but did not have a radiator to swap it out with so we put in some bars leak and rolled on…it is a drag race car would not get that hot..

Issue #3 and this is the big one. We installed a prototype clutch in the car. It is a multi disk and makes a lot of noise. The engine was solid mounted into the car so this, with the clutch, tripped the knock sensor. This happened before the baseline and before round one. We did not know it, and this is why we picked up so much power with the exhaust, pulley etc. The baseline had no timing in the map due to the knock sensor pulling it all out. When we added timing with the Ultimate in round 1 the car picked up tremendously as evidenced by the margin of victory. Little did we know the same reason why we won would cause us to lose.

We installed all of the parts in under 2 hours leaving 2 hours for tuning. We were looking good. We had to drain the gas and run the same gas as everyone else on the show. (All teams had to do this in round 2). This took about 45 minutes leaving us with 45 minutes or so to tune. We got the car started and on the dyno and the thing would not make any power. By the time we figured out the problem, we did not have enough time to fix it. Once we tried to over compensate by adding timing with the piggy back, the car freaked out and would not let us rev past 4800 rpms. We did pretty well considering a car designed to rev to 8500 and we only took it to 4800 and lost by half a car……

We chose to make some power and short shift it rather than no timing and being able to rev. We still ran approximately a 12.5 in the Ľ even with the issues we had.

We would appreciate everyone’s support by voting for us to come back as the fan favorite so that we can truly show what the tC is capable of when running correctly.

Kenny Strickler
Old 05-31-2007, 02:09 AM
Banned
SL Member

A couple things don't add up but I'm willing to let sleeping dogs lie for the sake of piece.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

peace you mean, lol jk just yanking your leg.

sucks that they are out, ill be voting them back in hopefully they make it
Old 05-31-2007, 10:18 AM
Banned
SL Member

ooops... peace.

:D I deserved that :D
Old 05-31-2007, 10:29 AM
SL Member

"We still ran approximately a 12.5 in the Ľ even with the issues we had."
please someone corect me if im wrong. i think they had around a 10.6 1000' time. same as me. i went though the finishline at 12.6 bouncing off the rev limiter. that car couldnt even rev past 4800.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:33 AM
SL Member

"We removed the power steering, a/c, etc., from the car anticipating a head swap in round 3."

"We did pretty well considering a car designed to rev to 8500 and we only took it to 4800 and lost by half a car……"

Old 05-31-2007, 11:00 AM
SL Member

We would appreciate everyone’s support by voting for us to come back as the fan favorite so that we can truly show what the tC is capable of when running correctly.

show us what that t4 is capable of. dont need pipes. just a camera and youtube
Old 05-31-2007, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

any one youtube it yet?
Old 06-02-2007, 05:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

zpi went to combat without a battleplan..
Old 06-04-2007, 02:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by malloynx
zpi went to combat without a battleplan..

It sounds like he had a set plan in mind. But there is very little room for error. And when error did strike, a "scramble" mode was set into play. Scrambling does not always work out for the best. BUT....the show must go on...as they say.
Old 06-04-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

WARNING ZPI, Kenny Strickler, The Scion Store, and ArtisanPerformance.com

Quick Reply: ZPI on PIPES tv Show.....*video of Episodes 1-5* ZPI on pg 7