Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ZPI Stage 0 install **Pics 5/9** 56k get some robertos!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bcnu_702
Originally Posted by Matt_Burgess
I myself is thinking about getting the stage 0. One question tho, How is it rich/lean wise out of the box? Do i need to run out and get a wideband right away?
The MAF piping it comes with is engineered to run rich. Kenny told me the way the piping is made, it runs richer on a stock ecu (which is a good thing).
My Uego shows I'm running 14.5-15.2 in vacuum and 10.5-12.4 in boost at WOT. I'm running a dezod black box, and when partial throttle boosting, my afr's drop to 12.4 as soon as i hit 1 psi, and drops progressively into the 10's as the boost climbs and the ECU changes over to open loop. This kit is PLENTY rich and safe. You could actually get an emanage and lean it out to 11.5-12.0 afr to make a little more power and still be safe
Old 05-27-2007, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by nauticalblue_tC
My Uego shows I'm running 14.5-15.2 in vacuum and 10.5-12.4 in boost at WOT. I'm running a dezod black box, and when partial throttle boosting, my afr's drop to 12.4 as soon as i hit 1 psi, and drops progressively into the 10's as the boost climbs and the ECU changes over to open loop. This kit is PLENTY rich and safe. You could actually get an emanage and lean it out to 11.5-12.0 afr to make a little more power and still be safe
So your running JUST the black box? No emanege? Did you take it to the shop to get tuned, or was it pretty easy to set up yourself?
I was thinking about getting this just to help in partial throttle, but was not planning on getting emanage till later on when I up my boost.
Plus, it'd be easier for me to convice my wife to let me spend $300 not and $500 later then $800 all at once, especially right after I bought my kit!
Old 05-30-2007, 09:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I have some updates, and they aren't pretty. First of all ,I like the ZPI kit, it is very efficient and runs well. Even though the kit runs well, I have a responsiblity to explain the issues that occur with it in hopes that future customers will be able to avoid these.

Issues:

1. Still waiting the CORRECT MAF piping for an 07. (I originally received an 05/06 MAF piping, and have been waiting over 1 1/2 weeks for the correct one).

2. I now have a crack in the welds on the manifold. I called ZPI and advsd them of this and was told they are aware of the issue.

I am still concerned with the shipping of ZPI's parts. I know they run a very busy company, I just want everyone to be aware of these circumstances. If ZPI or anyone wants to chime in, please do so. Again, this is an informative post, not a bashing post. I like my ZPI kit very much.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I have some updates, and they aren't pretty. First of all ,I like the ZPI kit, it is very efficient and runs well. Even though the kit runs well, I have a responsiblity to explain the issues that occur with it in hopes that future customers will be able to avoid these.

Issues:

1. Still waiting the CORRECT MAF piping for an 07. (I originally received an 05/06 MAF piping, and have been waiting over 1 1/2 weeks for the correct one).

2. I now have a crack in the welds on the manifold. I called ZPI and advsd them of this and was told they are aware of the issue.

I am still concerned with the shipping of ZPI's parts. I know they run a very busy company, I just want everyone to be aware of these circumstances. If ZPI or anyone wants to chime in, please do so. Again, this is an informative post, not a bashing post. I like my ZPI kit very much.
Damn bro that sucks! So are they gonna send you a new Manifold and MAF pipe?
Old 05-30-2007, 09:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How have you been running with the wrong MAF piping?
Are you running at all with the cracked header? When did this happen and how did you notice this?

Did you end up putting Mark's kit in? Is his also an '07?

I feel for you.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now with all that out of the way, I have received my AEM Wideband, and it works very well. I will update with some better pics of the gauges. Also, prostreet here in Vegas is going to make a customer intercooler setup. I have already purchased the intercooler, and will have them make a custom piping setup along with relocating the battery to the trunk. I will post pics after that.

-Chris
Old 05-30-2007, 09:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc

Issues:

Damn bro that sucks! So are they gonna send you a new Manifold and MAF pipe?
I will take off the manifold and ship it back to them per ZPI's request, and they will repair it and ship it back to me the same day. Thank goodness for a warranty.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well GL with everything. And good idea about a custom intercooler and piping set up! Knowing what I know now, I would rather build my own set up. Make sure and take lots'o'pics
Old 05-30-2007, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Mr_Meaty
How have you been running with the wrong MAF piping?
Are you running at all with the cracked header? When did this happen and how did you notice this?

Did you end up putting Mark's kit in? Is his also an '07?

I feel for you.
We went to Home Depot and got a rubber thingy that ensures there is no leaking of air since the 07 MAF sensor is smaller then the 05/06 piping has for it. After that we ziptied it to the MAF piping and it has ran fine since.

I called Kenny this morning before leaving for work and was advsd it is ok to drive with it cracked, but of course I dont want to run hard at all with it cracked. Actually I prefer to not drive it at all, but since I did not have time today to schedule a ride to and from work today, I had to drive it. I will get it fixed asap.

Funny thing is, we were hoping Mark got the 07 piping so we could just swap, but he did in fact receive the correct 05/06 piping (good for Mark). We did get it installed though. Mark can comment on that if he wants.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jrodTc
Well GL with everything. And good idea about a custom intercooler and piping set up! Knowing what I know now, I would rather build my own set up. Make sure and take lots'o'pics
Definitely will have lots of pics.
Old 05-31-2007, 02:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Now ZPI is aware of this issue with the welds cracking, How are they in the future going to fix this problem? Are they planing on making cast manifolds? I read about this problem somewhere on this forum before about the welds opening up idk.. I am interested in the stage 0 kit myself but now i'm getting nervous about getting one..
Old 05-31-2007, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So your running JUST the black box? No emanege? Did you take it to the shop to get tuned, or was it pretty easy to set up yourself?
I was thinking about getting this just to help in partial throttle, but was not planning on getting emanage till later on when I up my boost.
Plus, it'd be easier for me to convice my wife to let me spend $300 not and $500 later then $800 all at once, especially right after I bought my kit!
Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Yes, I'm running JUST the Black Box, with no other engine management. The car runs great like this. Black Box controls closed loop (partial throttle) tuning, while Emanage controls open loop (WOT) tuning, therefore you do not have to have one to have the other. Dezod will confirm that you do not have to have an Emanage to run a black box. My black box came with Joe Dezod's pretune on it, i didn't have to do any tuning at all. All you have to do is hook up 4 wires and a vacuum line and you are ready to go. Your car will run much safer AFR's at part throttle with the black box, I am very satisfied with mine. Any more questions feel free to PM me. Thanks.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Plus, it'd be easier for me to convice my wife to let me spend $300 now and $500 later then $800 all at once, especially right after I bought my kit!

Sorry it took so long for me to reply. Yes, I'm running JUST the Black Box, with no other engine management. The car runs great like this. Black Box controls closed loop (partial throttle) tuning, while Emanage controls open loop (WOT) tuning, therefore you do not have to have one to have the other. Dezod will confirm that you do not have to have an Emanage to run a black box. My black box came with Joe Dezod's pretune on it, i didn't have to do any tuning at all. All you have to do is hook up 4 wires and a vacuum line and you are ready to go. Your car will run much safer AFR's at part throttle with the black box, I am very satisfied with mine. Any more questions feel free to PM me. Thanks.
SOLD!!!
expect a pm soon.
Old 05-31-2007, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Matt_Burgess
Now ZPI is aware of this issue with the welds cracking, How are they in the future going to fix this problem? Are they planing on making cast manifolds? I read about this problem somewhere on this forum before about the welds opening up idk.. I am interested in the stage 0 kit myself but now i'm getting nervous about getting one..
Well what's weird is, when I talked with Kenny, he made it sound like (or I could have taken it this way) that they know of the problem happening becuase of only 6 bolts holding up the manifold to the block (creating stress on the welds) versus more bolts offering a stronger and sturdier hold. Also, he said that earlier models were having this problem....I have an 07, so these same manifolds have been out for what...2 years or more? Just wondering why it has not been improved on....
Old 05-31-2007, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree. If it's happened before, and they know about it, why have they not changed it.
Also, I understand it's under warantee and what not, but I think they should send you a new one, not fix the broken one. It's only a couple months old. Plus, when you ship it, you will be without a car for however long. If they sent you a new one, you could swap it right then and send back the old one.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree. If it's happened before, and they know about it, why have they not changed it.
Also, I understand it's under warantee and what not, but I think they should send you a new one, not fix the broken one. It's only a couple months old. Plus, when you ship it, you will be without a car for however long. If they sent you a new one, you could swap it right then and send back the old one.
Actually, believe it or not, its not even 3 weeks old. It's been on my car since 5/13/2007.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well guys, I just got Forza Motorsport 2 for my Xbox 360 and one of the cars you can pick and trick out is the Scion tC!
So I'm going to ditch my turbo and sell all my mods so I can spend more time just tricking out my tC on my 360 and living vicariously through that.

YEAH RIGHT!!!
Old 06-02-2007, 02:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Im woundering which manifold you have. because when i got my kit, i was the first to recieve the FULL RACE manifold, log style, and robotically welded inside and out. I dont think after me there using this manifold enymore becuase of cost i think, but mine hasnt cracked yet. Ive been running my kit since feb.

Ask them if its the full race mani, or an in house one
Old 06-02-2007, 04:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050
Im woundering which manifold you have. because when i got my kit, i was the first to recieve the FULL RACE manifold, log style, and robotically welded inside and out. I dont think after me there using this manifold enymore becuase of cost i think, but mine hasnt cracked yet. Ive been running my kit since feb.

Will do!
Old 06-02-2007, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050
for free

Quick Reply: ZPI Stage 0 install **Pics 5/9** 56k get some robertos!