Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ZPI Stage 0 questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ZPI Stage 0 questions

So i know i am probably about to get myself flamed here(and im not sure if i should be posting this in a previous thread) but I'm going to go ahead and ask anyways, because I really have searched and read a lot but haven't seen real defininitive answers to my questions(maybe im bad at it tho )

First, how complete is the ZPI stage 0 kit now once you add the wideband o2 and boost gauges? are there any other parts that i would need for sure that i could buy ahead of time so i dont start and get that "Oh crap" feeling as much as i can.

Second, from what i understand the ZPI Stage 0 kit runs without an emanage or anything of the sort, and the kit doesnt include any kind of fuel management, is this correct? If so, does it run well or is a tune definitely recommended?

And finally, this is a minor one, is there actually a dyno of a bone stock 5spd tC with the ZPI stage 0?

Anyways, sorry for the ridiculously long post (and maybe i should be speaking with someone at ZPI about this, im not sure) and thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.
Old 03-01-2007, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

all you really need for that kit, is what it comes with, the gauge, adn teh wideband are optional, the kit however does not come w/ an intercooler, you dont NEED it for that kit, but if you plan on runing higher boost, then yes your going to have to update and get the intercooler, adn an emanage. a dyno for the stage 0 as is, is like around 230-225 wheel.
Old 03-01-2007, 04:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

i recently bought this kit 2 months ago and installed it myself.....the kit DOES NOT come with a pre-tapped oil pan....if you have the money, get one from zpi, but if not, and you have descent welding skills, do it yourself, or get someone to do it for you....if you do it yourself or with friends, i have plenty of tips to help you through it....you could get the hks blow off valve...always a nice touch, and better for performance....lemme know if you have any specific questions, and i could probably hep you out!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks a LOT guys i really appreciate your help and the quick reply. I plan on probably getting the pre-tapped oil pan just because i dont want to worry about the possibility of leaks. As for more boost, i have no intention of running more than 6psi... but then again you never know what the future brings, the stage 1 upgrade could get too tempting to resist I plan on doing it with me and a couple of my friends (one of whom is a master tech) but I'll be sure to chime in if (read when) we need assistance
Old 03-01-2007, 03:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Good luck and keep updating!!...please....lol
Im hoping to do the same setup, also looking to boost no more than 6psi, and build the block soon after....
230hp is my "beginning goal" hehe....

Good Luck....
Old 03-01-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

happy boosting.....you're gonna love this setup!
Old 03-01-2007, 10:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by malibuboy54
happy boosting.....you're gonna love this setup!
Niiiiiice!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are any of you guys actually running w/o gauges...? the thought of running without having any idea whats goin on under there makes me very nervous.
Old 03-03-2007, 07:00 AM
GEO
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Highly recommend the gauges. I Had the stage 0 and just upgraded to a stage one with custom intercooler piping. The stage Zero is a nice kit. The throttle pipe will need a little work such as cuting it to clear a strut bar if you have one. Not sure if their newer kits fixed that problem yet. Also plan on 230 whp on a dyno jet. I also had mine reshaped so it would clear everthing and fit good. I threw my stage 1 at 6 PSI (yes I went conservative) on a dynomite and only showed 210 whp and 218 lb ft. The installer said it would net more on a dyno jet but dont let it full you its fast as hell and at 6 PSI I'm not worring about blowing the motor. Plus I just moved to AZ where it gets hot as hell. I'll try to take pictures once I get settled in AZ.
Old 03-03-2007, 10:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by GEO
Highly recommend the gauges. I Had the stage 0 and just upgraded to a stage one with custom intercooler piping. The stage Zero is a nice kit. The throttle pipe will need a little work such as cuting it to clear a strut bar if you have one. Not sure if their newer kits fixed that problem yet. Also plan on 230 whp on a dyno jet. I also had mine reshaped so it would clear everthing and fit good. I threw my stage 1 at 6 PSI (yes I went conservative) on a dynomite and only showed 210 whp and 218 lb ft. The installer said it would net more on a dyno jet but dont let it full you its fast as hell and at 6 PSI I'm not worring about blowing the motor. Plus I just moved to AZ where it gets hot as hell. I'll try to take pictures once I get settled in AZ.

Thats awesome dude!!!
Old 03-03-2007, 12:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Second, from what i understand the ZPI Stage 0 kit runs without an emanage or anything of the sort, and the kit doesnt include any kind of fuel management, is this correct? If so, does it run well or is a tune definitely recommended?
this question i too would like to know. i wasnt aware it doesnt come with intercooler but thats ok, it gives more of a sleeper look to the car

so one could buy this kit bolt it up and go? do you really need emanage or any of those engine/fuel upgrades?
Old 03-03-2007, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

The stage o is nice and all but just to let know i have the stage o i put an intercooler on it and also did a greddy e-manage ult. I had it dyno tuned and it put down a nice 255 whp and 265 fpt but with less then 10000 miles on it the enternal seals on the turbo blew out and in turn blew about a qt of oil into my intercooler and piping. After talking to my tuner shop they told me that it really needs cooling lines run to it witch are not to hard but that is a day late and a buck short. The kit is great but if you do buy it run cooling lines cuz now i have a long two or three week wait to get the turbo back and not only that i still dont know if the moter is damaged.
Old 03-03-2007, 04:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey vypa, I sent you a pm i have a complete kit for sale in Clemson
Old 03-04-2007, 12:41 AM
GEO
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That sucks about your turbo. Yeah my install guy told me something about that and he did install my water/ cooling line. He also redid the half circle pipe that sits in front of the turbo and stretched it pass the turbo. Apparently he said it was so close to the turbo that it would get hot and blow hot air into the engine which was bad. What PSI were you running to get 250 whp?
Old 03-04-2007, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was running 8 psi and that was what my waste gate was set at so i dont know why it blew the seals if you have a chance could you send me some pics of your water cooling lines.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I run and have been running 7 PSI for half a year, and now 9.5-10 PSI for about 5-6 months. NEVER ran a water cooling line a day in the life of this turbo. So, it could have just been that turbo itself. But the kit does not need water cooling on the turbo. Of all the kits out there, I have never seen a ZPI kit that had water cooling on the 16G turbine, and they still run great.

FYI....If you don't let your car warm up, before you go boosting away, you will cause the seals in the turbo to leak, perhaps blowing them.
Old 03-04-2007, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

And keep your Eyes peeled to this thread for your Stage 0 questions, cause we are about to put to rest a whole shrew of doubts and disbeliefs of the performance of the Stage 0.

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...7a4eaa635dacb6
Old 03-04-2007, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks rhythmnsmoke, very informative thread. :D
Old 03-05-2007, 12:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member