Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ZPI Stage 0 A/T Kit Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if he is only making 216ft lbs torque and 230whp I think his auto will be ok , weather he is running 6psi or 15psi if he is making 216ft lbs then the tranny isnt under a big strain .
Old 12-21-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes I do have a A/T cooler, and Yes I do have the HKS SSQV. I'm kinda ____ed that zpi didn't inform me that I had a 10 psi spring in my wastegate For the time being im driving like an 80 year old because I'm still having some fitment issues and stuff is vibrating like crazy...im having to build a brace to hold the j-pipe off the downpipe...I've already melted a coupler there...then my charge pipe is hitting the intake pipe creating a hellacious vibration I have to think of a way to keep them from touching.....oh how I hate chinese knockoff turbos......and wastegates.......GSC says they can get their hands on a real 16G turbo and do an insane upgrade....for now though i feel safe knowing they have a backup 2AZ-FE motor with a 5 speed tranny out of a 06 tC waiting for me lol as they said..." its not a matter of if...but when" I think I'm going to try and fix the fitment issues, then drive it for about a week, and if I'm not feeling better by then...rip everything out
Old 12-21-2006, 10:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Streeter
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Originally Posted by Streeter
I guess he's probably right - I don't know much about turbo'd A/T systems but I imagine it's hard on your tranny unless you reinforce that.

(And yea, after Miami trip I figured my avatar was due for a change.)
are you running a A/T cooler Streeter?
Pleeeease... M/T all the way buddy

I thought you were M/T, but it sounded like you were saying you were A/T in the last few post...my bad. And yes M/T FTW! Once you go Manual, you never go back, unless it's your beater.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by clayisland485
Yes I do have a A/T cooler, and Yes I do have the HKS SSQV. I'm kinda ____ed that zpi didn't inform me that I had a 10 psi spring in my wastegate For the time being im driving like an 80 year old because I'm still having some fitment issues and stuff is vibrating like crazy...im having to build a brace to hold the j-pipe off the downpipe...I've already melted a coupler there...then my charge pipe is hitting the intake pipe creating a hellacious vibration I have to think of a way to keep them from touching.....oh how I hate chinese knockoff turbos......and wastegates.......GSC says they can get their hands on a real 16G turbo and do an insane upgrade....for now though i feel safe knowing they have a backup 2AZ-FE motor with a 5 speed tranny out of a 06 tC waiting for me lol as they said..." its not a matter of if...but when" I think I'm going to try and fix the fitment issues, then drive it for about a week, and if I'm not feeling better by then...rip everything out

If you like GSC so much, then why in the world did you buy a ZPI kit to begin with? Secondly, I have a Stage 1, the 16G they use is NOT a chinese knockoff, and infact made in the States. WG works just fine for me. Did you install it yourself, or did GSC do that one for you? Cause heaven forbid "it's never the installer"....

PS...You tune it, you don't have to worry about taking out the 10 PSI spring, as you have a tranny cooler to help the tranny hold the power. The motor isn't what one should worry about when having an Auto, the tranny will go WAAAAY before your motor ever would on 10 PSI.
Old 12-21-2006, 10:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let's keep things in perpective here... Anyone who has shelled out over $3000 in turbo parts deserves to tell us about their experience with their install and investement. Be it good-bad or indiferent.

Let's see if we can help Clay get his car running it's best.

There are a couple of ZPI stage 1 kits owners lurking around. Maybe they can help with how to better route the intercooler piping and/or with tips on getting the details ironed out.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eric you are the shiz my friend...and GSC doesn't have a turbo kit....yet.. lol And I'm really not knocking on ZPI.....just explaining the problems I'm having trying to find solutions....The biggest two problems is the J-pipe rubbing the downpipe and the charge pipe hitting the intake...228.48 is a good bit of power but I'm too scared to break something to put it to use.....
Old 12-21-2006, 11:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

didnt you have a boost gauge in the car while dynoing? If you were hitting 10psi during your pulls I would think the numbers woulda been higher? Still not bad for an auto tC either way, congrats!
Old 12-21-2006, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I can't imagine that the intercooler pipes or anything else would install much differently... Do you have pics of your installation? Ha - make sure the radiator hose isn't installed backwards - we were wondering why the pipes weren't fitting, but as it turned out the radiator hose was installed backwards from Toyota!

What are some of the key differences between an A/T and M/T turbo kit? Maybe we can hash this out.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clay, go look up at Jesters and Nu-Era's install threads. Both have the ZPI Stage 1 with good pics on the intercooler install. Some folks have trimed the pipes a bit to improve fitup. You can clock the turbo forward a little to create more space for the J-Pipe. DK-01 Also bent the A/T dip stick to create more space between the intake and dischage pipe. Combine this mod with reversing the radiator hose and you should be in good shape.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no fitment issues with my stage 1. when i stopped at zpi they reseated a few of my turbo pipes but they still had no fitment issue. why is his tq so low? auto tranny? i thought with the turbo'd tc's the tq outweighs the hp until about 380 whp.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I already switched the radiator pipe, and yes i have a boost gauge, which im curious about because it was reading only 6 lbs but the dyno was reading 10 lbs of internal boost so i have no idea...I'm going to try and clock the turbo a little more forward and see if it helps pull the j-pipe off
Old 12-22-2006, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Help us help you...by posting some pics of your trouble areas -Then we can help you a lot more. I can host your pictures PM me if you are intersted.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I dont have a camera near by im with the fam for christmas...but way down low where the j-pipe connects, the coupler there is hitting the downpipe, and the other is right where the intake pipe comes out of the turbo, the charge pipe comes over it from the intercooler, its hitting where they cross.....One other question Eric..How do you drive your car? my biggest question is..when im getting into boost...not flooring it mind you..is it better to slowly let off the gas or act like im shifting to let the ssqv do its thing? my car feels weird right now when i let off either way, seems worse if i slightly let off compared to letting all the way off and the BOV opening...I've also heard some people talk about not boosting in D? as in if I'm expecting to go into boost pretty good to have in in 3 but I'm not too sure about that one Thanks for all the help
Old 12-22-2006, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i know if i boost at all i have to let off all the way, no partial let offs or its a weird feeling.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah letting off a little feels crazy weird, but when i let all the way off its so sudden and jerky its scary lol
Old 12-22-2006, 02:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah letting off a little feels crazy weird, but when i let all the way off its so sudden and jerky its scary lol
now i dont have that issue..
Old 12-22-2006, 02:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe im just not used to it...its just more sudden than im used to with N/A...I started noticing it on the drive home today on the highway, if i got into boost going up a hill, id get to the top and let off and it felt like i really slowed down
Old 12-22-2006, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe im just not used to it...its just more sudden than im used to with N/A...I started noticing it on the drive home today on the highway, if i got into boost going up a hill, id get to the top and let off and it felt like i really slowed down
thats normal because your throttle plate is shutting rapidly..
Old 12-22-2006, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

what it sounds like you are doing is Partial Throttle boosting. That always feels weird when letting off, or accelerating (not all the time, but some times you might get a little bit of a jerk). You will have to practice some driving habits, 1 being when you boost it....BOOST IT! If not, drive normal like if there was no turbo. You have an auto, so your cars reaction might be slightly different than a manual. I don't have any experience with Auto tC's and boost, so it's hard to say. Maybe PeteD or 318_tC can chime in, or PM them for their input as both of them are/were Auto and boosted.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Partial throttle boosting...sounds bad lol...I'm guessing thats what im doing...just like if im trying to accelerate just a little bit, and my rpm's get high enough to get into boost, i don't like how that feels lol...esp. when I let off afterwards. So is it safe to just drop my foot off the accelerator then? Also, does anyone have an answer about boosting in D? whether its ok to do or whatever....Def don't think I should be going around going through 1,2,3 and then to D but i just want to make sure im driving the best way possible

Quick Reply: ZPI Stage 0 A/T Kit Dyno