Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ZPI Stage 0 A/T Kit Dyno

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 07:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by clayisland485
Partial throttle boosting...sounds bad lol...I'm guessing thats what im doing...just like if im trying to accelerate just a little bit, and my rpm's get high enough to get into boost, i don't like how that feels lol...esp. when I let off afterwards. So is it safe to just drop my foot off the accelerator then? Also, does anyone have an answer about boosting in D? whether its ok to do or whatever....Def don't think I should be going around going through 1,2,3 and then to D but i just want to make sure im driving the best way possible

That's neither a YES or NO answer. Some say it's bad because your A/F ratio's are like 14.8-15.2 while making like 1-3 PSI Part throttle. So, Dezod came out with the Black Box, and everyone is jumping on that bandwagon to pick it up, because it's said to be able to tune Part Throttle boosting A/F ratio. I'm not saying it's bad myself, because I have been boosted for a year now and Part Throttle boosting for a year also (as well as smash the pedal to the metal boost), and never have had a single engine problem.

Have you had your car tuned or are you on the base map? I recently had a wideband installed, and Kenny retuned it for me. No jerky jerky or anything during Part Throttle Boost to past those slow people. So, with a good tuner who knows the Emanage like a pig knows slop, then he should be able to smooth that out. Also, GReddy makes the Pressure sensor, that would also solve Part Throttle boosting, as your able to tune based on boost Pressure, and not Throttle position.
Old 12-22-2006, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah I got it tuned and its WAY WAY WAY WAY, and I mean WAY better than it was...after putting injectors in the first run on the dyno i made, after just a base map, when i started getting into boost of course it maxed out my MAF and the car went nuts and started shooting some serious black smoke out the back...so i got it tuned pretty good, doesn't do it NEARLY as bad as before, now its more of a how it feels thing more than anything...and i am getting the pressure sensor
Old 12-22-2006, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
Partial throttle boosting...sounds bad lol...I'm guessing thats what im doing...just like if im trying to accelerate just a little bit, and my rpm's get high enough to get into boost, i don't like how that feels lol...esp. when I let off afterwards. So is it safe to just drop my foot off the accelerator then? Also, does anyone have an answer about boosting in D? whether its ok to do or whatever....Def don't think I should be going around going through 1,2,3 and then to D but i just want to make sure im driving the best way possible

That's neither a YES or NO answer. Some say it's bad because your A/F ratio's are like 14.8-15.2 while making like 1-3 PSI Part throttle. So, Dezod came out with the Black Box, and everyone is jumping on that bandwagon to pick it up, because it's said to be able to tune Part Throttle boosting A/F ratio. I'm not saying it's bad myself, because I have been boosted for a year now and Part Throttle boosting for a year also (as well as smash the pedal to the metal boost), and never have had a single engine problem.

Have you had your car tuned or are you on the base map? I recently had a wideband installed, and Kenny retuned it for me. No jerky jerky or anything during Part Throttle Boost to past those slow people. So, with a good tuner who knows the Emanage like a pig knows slop, then he should be able to smooth that out. Also, GReddy makes the Pressure sensor, that would also solve Part Throttle boosting, as your able to tune based on boost Pressure, and not Throttle position.
Rythm, don't forget we are talking about an A/T tC with ZPI's fast spooling 16G turbo. A/T's stay in closed-loop for a longer time and can generate higher boost in closed loop. So unless the tuning shop are wizards with emanage ultimate it's going to be a hit-n-miss on the tune.
Old 12-22-2006, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so when it comes to driving habits i need to either keep it in the low rpms or just floor it?
Old 12-23-2006, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have a part throttle boosting issue. same tuners as you rhythm
Old 12-23-2006, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what type of problems r u guys having ? I am running water injection and even in part throttle once the injection come on at 4psi the AFRs drop to 12.5 and the computer isnt able to correct it for some reason , so it stays rock steady 12.1-12.6 .
Old 12-23-2006, 01:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

see i think my tune shop did the best they could with the partial throttle...did make me feel good that my car went on the dyno after a R34 Skyline GT-R V-spec lol...At first it was super rocky going into boost....jerky rpms all over the place, shooting black smoke like crazy, even a flame or two, but they got it straightened out pretty good...off this topic but back to the fitment issues...i re-clocked the turbo forward a little bit, and it angled the J-pipe enough to keep the coupler off the downpipe so hopefully no more melting coupliers... lol
Old 12-23-2006, 01:56 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

http://www.gadgetonline.com/U-Tune.pdf

maybe they didnt smooth the closed loop , open loop transition out . go to that file and read how we do it on the tacoma trucks using a split second piggy back . im sure it works the same as the emanage .
Old 12-23-2006, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so when it comes to driving habits i need to either keep it in the low rpms or just floor it?
Yeah.. you generally want to do just that. It's pretty funny if you try to do part throttle in high rpms you will get herky jerky (like m/t do in first gear) in 2nd gear and sometimes in 3rd since our motor produces so much of torque. And the smaller turbo's respond pretty quick which makes it that much more sensitive with the throttle.

If you have selected 2nd gear and you are going to let off then you should shift to 3rd gear or the next gear up. Try not to deaccelerate in the same gear or you get the herky jerky going on.

Also I just installed my dezod black box and couldn't be happier with it. It's nice to see the afr's richen up in closed loop and the noticable low end power gain is nice.
Old 12-23-2006, 06:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Everyone that's had time to install the box and talk to us has said it's worked wonders for them. Definately changes they way you drive your car.
Old 12-23-2006, 12:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

[quote="DK01"]
Yeah.. you generally want to do just that. It's pretty funny if you try to do part throttle in high rpms you will get herky jerky (like m/t do in first gear) in 2nd gear and sometimes in 3rd since our motor produces so much of torque. And the smaller turbo's respond pretty quick which makes it that much more sensitive with the throttle.

If you have selected 2nd gear and you are going to let off then you should shift to 3rd gear or the next gear up. Try not to deaccelerate in the same gear or you get the herky jerky going on.

quote]

But I shouldn't drive my A/T like a manual though should I?
Old 12-23-2006, 02:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ERIC-TC

Rythm, don't forget we are talking about an A/T tC with ZPI's fast spooling 16G turbo. A/T's stay in closed-loop for a longer time and can generate higher boost in closed loop. So unless the tuning shop are wizards with emanage ultimate it's going to be a hit-n-miss on the tune.

Yeah, my information/experience comes from only M/T tC. So, he should keep in mind that I'm speaking from this point of view.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by pollup
i have a part throttle boosting issue. same tuners as you rhythm
Yeah, but difference between me an you is I don't drive back home through mountains and elevation changes where I live. I have the same weather as KY...

Just pick up the GReddy Pressure sensor, and you will be gravy. Even though I don't have a problem with PT boosting, I'm still going to get a pressure sensor.

Originally Posted by toyotaracer9
what type of problems r u guys having ? I am running water injection and even in part throttle once the injection come on at 4psi the AFRs drop to 12.5 and the computer isnt able to correct it for some reason , so it stays rock steady 12.1-12.6 .

Why do you have it set so low? Your motor dosen't need extra cooling methods at only 4 lbs of boost. How much boost are you running now? For example, if you were running 10 lbs, and then added a meth kit, I would bump the PSI up to like 12, and have the meth kit spray at like 8 PSI up to 12 PSI.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

But I shouldn't drive my A/T like a manual though should I?

Probably not.
Old 12-23-2006, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Why do you have it set so low? Your motor dosen't need extra cooling methods at only 4 lbs of boost. How much boost are you running now? For example, if you were running 10 lbs, and then added a meth kit, I would bump the PSI up to like 12, and have the meth kit spray at like 8 PSI up to 12 PSI.[/quote]

im running 6psi , I dont have any type of fuel management and running stock injectors , so I make it come on early to bring my AFRs down to the 12s while part throttle boosting . it seems to be pretty quick I have outran a 350z 6spd and an srt-4 , but the srt-4 guy said he had a boost leak so IDK . gonna hit the track first part of jan. to see what it really has .
Old 12-23-2006, 03:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Joe_Dezod
Everyone that's had time to install the box and talk to us has said it's worked wonders for them. Definately changes they way you drive your car.
I stopped yesterday by the hobby-shop to get some nice 4-pin connectors for my black-box install. I will install the black-box when I get back from the mall this afternoon. I will post some install pics and reviews on Sunday...
Old 12-24-2006, 12:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Why do you have it set so low? Your motor dosen't need extra cooling methods at only 4 lbs of boost. How much boost are you running now? For example, if you were running 10 lbs, and then added a meth kit, I would bump the PSI up to like 12, and have the meth kit spray at like 8 PSI up to 12 PSI.

im running 6psi , I dont have any type of fuel management and running stock injectors , so I make it come on early to bring my AFRs down to the 12s while part throttle boosting . it seems to be pretty quick I have outran a 350z 6spd and an srt-4 , but the srt-4 guy said he had a boost leak so IDK . gonna hit the track first part of jan. to see what it really has .

Oh, I see. Good kills by the way for only 6 PSI. The SRT-4 having a boost leak..."Run What you Brung"