Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

ZPI Stage 1 Turbo - HERE I COME!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default ZPI Stage 1 Turbo - HERE I COME!!!!

I just recently purchased my ZPI Stage 1 Turbo Kit. My father, who's a mechanic, was telling me that I don't need to do any engine upgrade as of yet, because my engine still only has about 11,000 miles on it. He said it's pretty new, so no need for a new short block or cylinder head yet.

My question to you guys is, what are the chances of my engine blowing up with this kit? If I boost 9-10psi daily, and step on it every now and then, and RACE every weekend, can my engine blow on me anytime soon?

My father also told me to just get a new cylinder head in the future, and that'll be enough for the car to handle up to 400whp. Provided I don't step on it and/or race ALL THE TIME.

So what are your guys's opinions???
Old 04-30-2007, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: ZPI Stage 1 Turbo - HERE I COME!!!!

Originally Posted by chuynh207
I just recently purchased my ZPI Stage 1 Turbo Kit. My father, who's a mechanic, was telling me that I don't need to do any engine upgrade as of yet, because my engine still only has about 11,000 miles on it. He said it's pretty new, so no need for a new short block or cylinder head yet.

My question to you guys is, what are the chances of my engine blowing up with this kit? If I boost 9-10psi daily, and step on it every now and then, and RACE every weekend, can my engine blow on me anytime soon?

My father also told me to just get a new cylinder head in the future, and that'll be enough for the car to handle up to 400whp. Provided I don't step on it and/or race ALL THE TIME.

So what are your guys's opinions???

Listen to your dad, he knows what he is talking about. 9-10 PSI daily....HA! tC's motor takes that and laughs at it wanting more...

You need to look no further when it comes to reliability. Good choice on the Kit by the way. When you get her fired up the first time, take it easy and break in the turbo kit a bit. After that....proceed to display your tail lights to the locals when they try you..

Get a good tuner, and you are good to go.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you will be fine for now.

10psi is relatively low boost so no need to worry, as long as you dont raise the boost for every day driving i would think you should be fine.

just remember to fill it up with 91 starting now so the fuel is already cycling through the engine before you put the turbo on.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been using 91 octane for the past year now, so I'm good to go on that!

so 10psi daily is good on the engine? Cuz that's what I'm planning on running, I need 300whp ALL DAY EVERYDAY... the only thing I'm upset with is that I won't be able to beat out any M3s yet... same with Camaro SS and this Mustang Mach 1...
Old 04-30-2007, 01:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I've been using 91 octane for the past year now, so I'm good to go on that!

so 10psi daily is good on the engine? Cuz that's what I'm planning on running, I need 300whp ALL DAY EVERYDAY... the only thing I'm upset with is that I won't be able to beat out any M3s yet... same with Camaro SS and this Mustang Mach 1...

If they are stock, you can take them from a roll. From a dig, your going to need some hella traction.

And you need a boost controller to get your 10 PSI solid on the boost gauge. Running off of the WG spring will not net you 10 PSI exactly. It will rise to 10 PSI, but will hold pretty much at only 8.9-9 PSI. I just picked up a basic Turbo XS boost controller, works wonders...

We have 93 octane here though, so be careful with that 91 octane. Make sure you get a Wideband to keep an eye on the A/F ratio.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so 10psi daily is good on the engine?
0psi is best for the engine, but ya, 10psi wont hurt the engine too much.

I need 300whp ALL DAY EVERYDAY...
10psi will not yield 300whp without any other supporting mods such as an exhaust and a better tune. 10psi should yield about 270-280hp if that.

and you will be surprised what you can take on with just 10psi of bosst on a tC.
Old 04-30-2007, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default Re: ZPI Stage 1 Turbo - HERE I COME!!!!

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke

tC's motor takes that and laughs at it wanting more...
bahahahaha that was quite hilarious for some reason
Old 04-30-2007, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i cant wait to get my kit as well, should be here soon! I hope
Old 04-30-2007, 03:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hellz ya! ZPI!
Old 04-30-2007, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'll be definitely getting a boost guage, egt, wideband, and oil pressure guage. I already have no CATs and a 2.5" mid-pipe. My plans are after I get the turbo installed, is to bring my car to a muffler shop and have them chop off all my 2.5" pipes and weld on 3" pipes, including my down-pipe and the pipe leading to my exhaust.

I hope the place I'm taking my turbo to will get installed and tuned REAL well. AND I PRAY that I will be able to boost and hold 10psi daily, and with the exhaust setup being 3"s... I hope 300whp is there from start to finish...
Old 04-30-2007, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

3" is too large for what you are trying to accomplish.

stick with 2.5"
Old 04-30-2007, 04:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

I'll be definitely getting a boost guage, egt, wideband, and oil pressure guage. I already have no CATs and a 2.5" mid-pipe. My plans are after I get the turbo installed, is to bring my car to a muffler shop and have them chop off all my 2.5" pipes and weld on 3" pipes, including my down-pipe and the pipe leading to my exhaust.

I hope the place I'm taking my turbo to will get installed and tuned REAL well. AND I PRAY that I will be able to boost and hold 10psi daily, and with the exhaust setup being 3"s... I hope 300whp is there from start to finish...
Cool, just fyi though....2.5 is good up to 350-400whp.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the advice man... I guess I'll just stick with my current set up then... with exhaust and a boost gauge, I hope I'm at 10psi all the time and hitting 300whp... plus I got LSD so hopefully that'll help with traction a lot!!!!
Old 04-30-2007, 05:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

PSI will vary during Summer and Winter months. So, keep an eye on your tune and A/F ratio.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

most definitely man.. oh and, the stage 1 comes with the GReddy Blue right? cuz I'm about to buy the Blue harness plug n play from Dezod... and should I get 3 step colder spark plugs? or is one enough?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You're located in California. Do you only plan on keeping the car until smog time comes around?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

most definitely man.. oh and, the stage 1 comes with the GReddy Blue right? cuz I'm about to buy the Blue harness plug n play from Dezod... and should I get 3 step colder spark plugs? or is one enough?

Yes, comes with the Blue box.
Old 04-30-2007, 06:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ALaS
You're located in California. Do you only plan on keeping the car until smog time comes around?
people make too big of a deal with passing smog and stuff.

if you go to a kick back place, they will make sure you are emissions compliant, ie: not a gross polluter. just have at least one cat on your car and you should be good to go, turbo' s do not add excess emissions.

you will fail visual, but nothing a little smooth talking and a benjamin cant fix.

the cops however, thats a whole different story.. can you say sleeper?
Old 04-30-2007, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not really afraid of the police. I'm in the US Army and half the time, I'm driving in uniform cuz I'm going to and coming back from work. Most police officers around my area are ex-military or strong supporters of us, and they'll most likely cut us a lot of slack.

I was almost pulled over on the freeway last Monday morning, I was in the carpool lane by myself, and when I saw him, I went into the next lane (my exit was coming up anyways) and the police officer drove right up against my bumper and told me to pull over on his P.A. system, but I guess he took a close look and saw that I was in uniform and especially since I got a "US Army Recruiter" sticker on the back of my car, he decided to let me go.

Even if I'm not in Uniform, I usually show my ID and they let me go, as long as I wasn't doing something TOO reckless (driving around at 100mph or running redlights, etc).

So blue emanage it is then... now just wondering about the spark plugs...
Old 04-30-2007, 08:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They're cracking down on under the table payments for someone to pass you in smog. Good luck in 4 or 5 years when we do actually have to smog. I wonder ho hard it will be then. People make a big deal out of it because it is a federal offense. Serious money or even jail time and bye bye to tC.

Quick Reply: ZPI Stage 1 Turbo - HERE I COME!!!!