Notices
Scion tC 1G Forced Induction Turbo and supercharger applications...

Zpi stage 1 vs turbonetics kit.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
you can have you tuner make a map for cold weather, warm weather, daily boost, race gas boost, drag boost curve, autocross boost curve, road race tuning, etc and store them on your laptop or PDA. You Bluetooth into the EMS, upload your new map and away you go. No trying to dig and find the interface port.
There are many more features that only a tuner would use that are also in the Unichip but suffice to say it far exceeds the Emanage in included options.

How much dyno time is that to program that many maps?
That would be quite a bit of dyno time. Figure 1-2 hour to fine tune your base map. Then maybe on hour of playing with boost response and tune for each map...
Would you really need separate maps for winter and summer or would the daily driver that comes standard be sufficient? I really wouldn't want to retune it everytime it got cold cause MA sees both ends of the spectrum. I'd much rather have a safe daily driver and then a higher boost around 10/11 (with the appropriate engine mods of course).
Old 01-19-2006, 09:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

TimmyT.. Turbonetics is planning on going for CARB for this kit so I don't think that CARB certification should sway your opinion. If Turbonetcs can't get CARB, GReddy won't either.

What should sway your opinion though is that the GReddy kit includes a tubular manifold that's way nicer than the log you get with the Turbonetics kit.

What's swaying my opinion is the Unichip. I can get a different manifold..
Old 01-19-2006, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure about stage 1 but stage 1 but stage 0 spools up extrimely fast. You get power right after stepping on gas if you launch from dead stop. Comparing to most other turbo cars I played with, my scion has the smoothest power delivery for aftermarket turbo. I'd like to try turbonetics kit but I doubt it is going to be any different from any other t3/t4 setup on a TC. Hope BB option and tuning makes plenty of difference.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by peteyd
bah we dont have 91 here in houston we only have 93
93 is better than 91 fool
Old 01-19-2006, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by retrodrive
Not sure about stage 1 but stage 1 but stage 0 spools up extrimely fast. You get power right after stepping on gas if you launch from dead stop. Comparing to most other turbo cars I played with, my scion has the smoothest power delivery for aftermarket turbo. I'd like to try turbonetics kit but I doubt it is going to be any different from any other t3/t4 setup on a TC. Hope BB option and tuning makes plenty of difference.
I can tell you that the Turbonetics Tc spools up IMMEDIATELY just as you described with your ZPI kit. I'd love to do a side by side with you. Maybe we can set something up. I mean in any gear on the Turbonetics kit you press the gas down and get boost.
Old 01-19-2006, 09:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IAmTheProdigy
you can have you tuner make a map for cold weather, warm weather, daily boost, race gas boost, drag boost curve, autocross boost curve, road race tuning, etc and store them on your laptop or PDA. You Bluetooth into the EMS, upload your new map and away you go. No trying to dig and find the interface port.
There are many more features that only a tuner would use that are also in the Unichip but suffice to say it far exceeds the Emanage in included options.

That would be quite a bit of dyno time. Figure 1-2 hour to fine tune your base map. Then maybe on hour of playing with boost response and tune for each map...
Would you really need separate maps for winter and summer or would the daily driver that comes standard be sufficient? I really wouldn't want to retune it everytime it got cold cause MA sees both ends of the spectrum. I'd much rather have a safe daily driver and then a higher boost around 10/11 (with the appropriate engine mods of course).
Technically no you wouldn't but some people drive their Tc in the snow and want less boost during snow season hence "winter" tune...
Old 01-19-2006, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kungpaosamuraiii
TimmyT.. Turbonetics is planning on going for CARB for this kit so I don't think that CARB certification should sway your opinion. If Turbonetcs can't get CARB, GReddy won't either.

What should sway your opinion though is that the GReddy kit includes a tubular manifold that's way nicer than the log you get with the Turbonetics kit.

What's swaying my opinion is the Unichip. I can get a different manifold..
Do you have a link to the Greddy kit pictures I'd like to see it...
Old 01-19-2006, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The GReddy kit was a prototype shown at some show or another. They quickly pulled the kit out and went back to designing it. And no one has seen it since.

I believe this is it:

Different angle

Old 01-19-2006, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

damm thats nice!

also how u guys know so much about turbos?..damm i wish I need as much

i've tried to find sites but never could find any to explain it
Old 01-19-2006, 11:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes I finally found some when I googled. Sad to say though that kit was shown at the 2004 SEMA show so if Greddy had some plans to produce (it was shown with the RX-8 kit) they should have released more info by now. It's doubtful Greddy would release the kit with that manifold as well. At least from what I've seen they usually do some form of cast manifold similar to the Turbonetics one for their kits. Although it may not even be a point of argument since they do not appear to be pursuing production very much.
Old 01-19-2006, 11:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by chubster41
damm thats nice!

To learn more about turbos a good resource is a book called Maximum Boost by Corkey Bell. Its considered the turbocharging bible.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team No Limitz
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

damm thats nice!

To learn more about turbos a good resource is a book called Maximum Boost by Corkey Bell. Its considered the turbocharging bible.
Verry good book...When you read it and think you took in a lot of information, go back and read it again 2 more times...after the third time you will understand almost everything Corkey explains in there.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:18 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Simplyscion
damm thats nice!

Verry good book...When you read it and think you took in a lot of information, go back and read it again 2 more times...after the third time you will understand almost everything Corkey explains in there.
Absolutely. I have read that book 4 times at least and referenced it several times for some of the formulas...
Old 01-20-2006, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Technically no you wouldn't but some people drive their Tc in the snow and want less boost during snow season hence "winter" tune...
Couldn't you just stay "OUT" of boost persay?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:49 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Couldn't you just stay "OUT" of boost persay?
Absolutely...some people just prefer to have their boost dropped. Its just another nice feature but its not a mandatory thing...
Old 01-20-2006, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Society
SL Member

I emailed greddy a few times about thier kit.
The first repsonse was they are waiting to see if there is enough interest in the kit to develop and produce it.

the 2nd response was they were not going to produce the kit unless they got a carb certification and it still had a respectable performance gain.

The last response I recieved was they didn't have any specific pricing information, but to expect the kit to be available @ the earliest in summer 06.

It is from this information that I based my posts about the greddy kit and the CARB certification.

CARB certification (being a californian) is very important to me. Especially if I am spending 5,000+ Dollars on top of the already $20,000 in the car I am going to put it into. Only to be able to use it for 4 years, and then Have to spend the time to remove/reinstall the kit just to be able to drive the car with current registration. And then if I want to sell or trade in my vehicle I'll need to remove the kit or sell it privately.

Being of military mind, even though I may not agree with them, rules are ment to be followed. I believe its an integrity issue. To me personally it doesn't matter if Johny Law doesn't know my car is illegal. I know its illegal, and that is enough to deter me from purchasing any aftermarket part. Be it a performance part or cosmetic.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Turbonetics = 244whp - - - -$5,595 - - - 8psi
ZPI Stage 0 = 230whp - - - $2,670 - - - 6 psi
ZPI Stage 1 = 300 - - - - - -$4,500 - - - 9 - 10psi
Dezod = 244whp - - - - - - - $3,975* - - - 8.5psi

*Without Options
Old 01-20-2006, 02:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One of the draw backs I see to using the 18G turbo is unless something has changed Greddy uses conventional sleeve bearing turbos. Typically the boost threshold time on this turbos is higher then with a ball bearing design. This basically means full boost later and depending on how they have it setup could be less of a linear power delivery.
I know its a completely different engine but i had the greddy kit on my prelude and the 18g achieved full boost at 2000 rpm. If anyone is interested in buying it you can email me at jpg1976@sbcglobal.net. It only has 50 miles on it!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That greddy manifold is sexy

Does anyone know anything about the EVO lll 16G that zpi uses and how it compares to the other turbo's people are using?
Old 01-20-2006, 03:48 AM
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

I disagree with the greddy mani being sexy. Look at the runners on that thing none of them are the same length so the flow would be wierd and probably cost a few horses. But thats just my opinion.

Quick Reply: Zpi stage 1 vs turbonetics kit.