Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

*DIY*-PA11-TOY Aux. Adapter For iPod/Sat. Radio/DVD Player

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default *DIY*-PA11-TOY Aux. Adapter For iPod/Sat. Radio/DVD Player

I have had my iPod for well over a year now. And for X-Mas, I received SIRIUS Satellite Radio (S50 Personal Sat. Radio + Kit). I have been looking into 'hardwiring' the iPod for a while because I was getting annoyed by the constant noise caused by the FM Transmitter. Now, I needed something to 'hardwire' both to my 2005 HU and maintain the best sound quality. The USA Spec PA11-TOY Aux. Adatper was my answer.

I ordered it at Crutchfield.com. (I highly recommend Crutchfield.com! They are great!) Now, some of you may say that this adapter is a bit costly. There are other options for you if cash is a little tight. I just wanted everything in one package. And I pretty much got it. (Except for the Monster "Y" Adapter cables. Which I had lying around the house.) On with the DIY!

First, I would like to thank dctennis10 for a great idea and killer DIY! Check it out!...
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...318&highlight=
My Aux. Adapter is slightly different. Mine has a round din plug for the iPod and an AUX INPUT. The din plug is great! It keeps my iPod charged (even if the car is off, up to 1 hour.) and connects through the dock of the iPod instead of through the headphone jack.

**DO THIS MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK!! I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IF YOU BREAK OR DAMAGE ANYTHING!!**

Here's what you need:

1. PA11-TOY Aux. Adapter
2. 10mm wrench
3. Phillips Screwdriver
4. Monster Cable (or any other brand) "Y" adapter cables
5. 3M Heavy Duty Velcro
6. Zip-ties (optional)
7. About 45 minutes of time

First, disconnect NEG. Battery Terminal. Second, you need to remove the interior trim panels. I'm not going to post pix because Crutchfiled included FREE with my order how to do this! (Not only this, but how to install front & rear speakers also!) Some of us have done this a zillion times, some of us have not. For you 1st timers, start with pulling up the Gear Shift Trim. This way, you will get a "feel" of just how much force you will need for the rest of the trim pieces. Follow this order of removal:

1. Gear Shift Trimpiece
2. Receiver/Climate Controls
3. Plasic Cup Holders Trimpiece

BE CAREFUL WITH:
THE GEAR SHIFT TRIMPIECE! YOU NEED TO DISCONNECT THE CIG. LIGHTER ADAPTER!
THE RECEIVER/CLIMATE CONTROLS TRIMPIECE! YOU NEED TO DISCONNECT THE AC CONTROLS AND AC DUCT!
YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
Sorry.

After all that fun, carefully remove the HU by unscrewing the bottom screws and then use the 10mm wrench to loosen the bolts on top of the HU. Disconnect the wires in the back of the HU and then put HU aside in a SAFE place. It should now look like this...

Now, you need to decide where to put the Aux. Adapter. I chose here. Use 3M Heavy Duty Velcro (or Heavy Duty Double-Sided Adhesive) on the back of the adapter and afix to white plastic of car.

Time to add some wires! Take your "Y" Adapter cables and plug them into the AUX INPUT rca jacks. Run the 1/8" adapter under the Center Console and out the side by the Passenger's seat. Zip-tie all Satellite Radio wires together. Take the supplied iPod Dock cable (CB-PA14) and do the same. Zip-tie excess wire. (You can always go back and adjust your zip-tied wires after install.)

Plug in the Aux. Adapter-to-HU cable (CAS-TYi, round din plug). Zip-tie excess wire.

Add the Aux.-to-HU adapter wire (CAS-TA) to the Aux. Adapter-to-HU cable (CAS-TYi).

Plug wires back into HU. (Antenna, Stereo and CAS-TYi)

Set HU on install screws and temporarily reconnect Bat. Terminal. Plug in all wires on iPod and Satellite Radio.

Test to see if iPod and Satellite are working properly. Do one at time. For some reason, they both cannot be plugged in at the same time. Here is what the HU should look like with the iPod plugged in and after hitting the "DISC" button on the HU...("Finished" pic) It also works on DISC 1. I don't know why though.

Here's what it should look like with the Satellite Radio plugged in and after hitting the "DISC" button on the HU...("Finished" pic)

It may take you a couple of tries to get used to hitting the "DISC" button properly. If for some reason it does not work, just go over your wiring. There is a possible solution at the end of this DIY.

After hitting paydirt, turn off your HU and disconnect the Bat. Terminal. Re-assemble your baby in reverse order and reconnect NEG. Bat. Terminal. You're finished!! Turn car on. I always like to "Reset" (windows, moon roof, hatch, SSP on HU, etc.) my car before I do anything else. Sit back and enjoy the fruits of your labor!!! Then, go and grab yourself a cold one!!!

There are 2 ways to control your iPod with this adapter- Direct Mode and Playlist Mode. Since I don't have any playlists, I went with Direct Mode. You can still use your iPod like before AND use the controls on the HU! Just be sure to switch DIP switch #2 to the "OFF" position! That was my solution to my problem. Because I didn't properly read the instructions!

Also, my SIRIUS Satellite Radio never sounded better! What a difference!

Just for kicks, I hooked up my portable DVD Player and chose the 'Lobby Scene' from The Matrix and it worked flawlessly! Cool!

Overall, I am very happy with this Aux. Adapter! I highly recommend it to everybody! I can hear the music MUCH more clearly then before. The only downside is that it doesn't display artist and song info on the HU from the iPod. Oh well, I'll live! I hope you all enjoyed this DIY. This took longer than the actual project! Any ?s, please feel free to ask. If I've forgotten anything, let me know.

**Links Fixed!!**
Old 02-18-2006, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Big Sky Scion
SL Member

^^^ Nice DIY! Good pix - in focus and all
Good job - I'm still trying to decide between Sirius and XM - which is why I didn't get one at the time I bought the tC...but the iPod is all I need 90% of the time

One tiny criticism - I'd put "iPod" in the title somewhere for those searching

Scott
Old 02-20-2006, 03:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just curious how you have the Sirius S50 plugged into the HU or is it FM transmission??

Nice write up...
Old 02-20-2006, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

does it work with the 6 cd changer?
Old 02-20-2006, 05:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rjj130
Just curious how you have the Sirius S50 plugged into the HU or is it FM transmission??

Nice write up...
Not to sound rude, but did you read the title of this post? Its plugged in by Aux. adapter. Sound is 100x better then FM Transmitter.

Originally Posted by lriicelboy
Does it work with 6-Disc...?
It will work with Built-In Disc Changers, NOT external Disc Changers. The Aux. Adapter plugs into the external disc changer port on the back of the HU.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx

Nice write up...
Not to sound rude, but did you read the title of this post? Its plugged in by Aux. adapter. Sound is 100x better then FM Transmitter.
My bad dude...was half asleep last night whenever I typed this...I went thru and re-read and saw your adapter has two sets of inputs...was just confused because most iPod interfaces only have one for the iPod itself...I have a version of the ipod2car...so I was confused.

Sorry for bein an idiot...haha
Old 02-20-2006, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

just to clarify again.. it works with the factory 6-disc right? cause i wanna get this, and i really wanna make sure it works before i spend my money. sorry for the trouble, but thanks in advance!
Old 02-20-2006, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry for bein an idiot...haha
You're not an idiot. I just know that some peeps here just skim the pictures of a DIY without reading through it. I'm just glad you got your ? answered.

Originally Posted by lriicelboy
just to clarify again.. it works with the factory 6-disc right?...
Here's a quote from the instruction manual:

"This interface is designed as an alternative replacement to the Toyota 6 disc CD changer unit in your Toyota vehicle. Therefore it is not possible to have the slave Toyota 6 disc CD changer and PA11-TOY iPod interface simultaneously connected to your Toyota radio. The CD changer which is built-in the Toyota radio is not affected."

If you order it from Crutchfield.com and it doesn't work to your liking, you can return it within 30 days. According to the manual, it should work just fine.
Old 02-20-2006, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Cool! The PA11 is finally out. When I was looking at iPod setups, you could only get the PA11 by buying a PA10 and paying 10 bucks to have USASpec change the firmware.
Old 03-01-2006, 01:17 PM
5 Year Member

Default Hi everyone!

my first reply...
I'm italian, and I wish you could forget some leanguage error...

I bought a 2006 scion HU (singol disc) for my european Rav4, I simply put on it, 20 min., and it work perfectly.

The question is: who buy a scion car, find in it, the jack output where put mp3 reader, only has to connect and push "AUX" isn't it?

Some of you know if there is an adapter on stock car (from the back until the jack) or is inside the hu?

So, My hu needs an adapter as the 2004/05 unit, or simply wiring a jack from the my rav connector?

thanks everyone.

Wishes from florence, tuscany, Italy
Old 03-01-2006, 06:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I edited as noted; I included "iPod" in the title as well as "Sat. Radio" and "DVD Player". So hopefully the peeps that SEARCH (Huh? what's "SEARCH"? ) can find this. When I first did this DIY, I forgot to include that my HU is the '05 model. Even though it deosn't make a difference, but I just wanted to let everyone know. I also changed the order of disassembly as well. Its MUCH easier now. Also tweaked some minor flaws that were hardly noticable. Next up? Installing my Audiobahn ATB8AT 8" 100 Watt Powered Subwoofer! Maybe another DIY? Hmmm...
Old 12-27-2006, 12:47 PM
nm3
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Would this work with the Factory XM Radio kit?

I have an 05 tC with the factory head unit, XM Radio kit and the Factory Sub and was wondering if adding this iPod AUX adapter would work too?
Old 12-27-2006, 07:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I just bought one. Can't wait to get and install it. :D

EDIT:

Hyghgynx, how are you liking this item? Is it worth it? Any problems?
Old 12-29-2006, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^WOW!!!! Bringing threads back from the dead!

Q. #1 -Yes it should work with the 'o5 HU and all the goodies. It plugs into the CD Changer port on the back of the HU. So it doesn't interfere with the other ports.

Q. #2-Well, I only had it for 4 months before I sold it. I decided on a new Alpine HU instead. But when I had it, it performed quite well. It took a little getting used to (how to operate it), but once you learn its easy. Of course NOW the aux. adapter has gone up $30. For that much $$$ just get yourself a new HU with an iPod cable.
Old 12-30-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

LoL! Sorry to bring a dead thread back to life.

I hope the ipod adapter won't give any problems.

I don't have plans upgrading my HU yet because when somebody hears my music play, they get curious and say "Why does your stock HU gives that "Stadium-reverb echo" sound?"

I'm still saving up for some 2-DIN DVD unit with a nav system thing.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Update:

Does anybody have problems with this item? I recently installed mine and for some unknown reason, when I'm playing music from my ipod, the HU suddenly shuts off and when I turn it on, it is on the FM radio mode. When I press the "Disc" to play music with the ipod, it won't let me. It just won't work. I would have to turn the HU off and the engine and replug the cable to the ipod then it'll work. My ipod never had issues from the past.

Thanks for any help!
Old 09-25-2007, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member

Again bringing a dead post back to life. I read that this works with an '05 unit. Does the standard '05 unit (not the upgraded one) have the CD Changer port in the back? And if so, if I use this then will I lose functionality of my CD player if I want to listen to a single CD in the HU?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2008, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member

Default pics no longer in post

I've got a 2005 TC and this is EXACTLY what i'm trying to do. Sirius S50 and an ipod. This post is really helpful, but the pics orginally posted are no longer there. Do you have them stashed away somewhere? would it be possible to post this again with photos?

Thanks!!
Old 05-19-2008, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: pics no longer in post

Originally Posted by Dyah
I've got a 2005 TC and this is EXACTLY what i'm trying to do. Sirius S50 and an ipod. This post is really helpful, but the pics orginally posted are no longer there. Do you have them stashed away somewhere? would it be possible to post this again with photos?

Thanks!!
I fixed the links. The cost of this adapter has gone up considerablely! I strongly suggest a new HU and an iPod connector and a RCA "Y" cable for your S50. All of this will cost a little bit (around $20-$50 more, depending on the HU) more than the adapter. (Unless you already have the adapter.) Lastly, a new HU sounds so much better than the stock HU. GL.
Old 12-06-2008, 05:08 PM

Default What's Broken?

So about a year ago I installed this exactly according to the instructions and everything worked great. Thanks for the spectacular DIY.

About a month ago someone broke into my car and stole my iPod in the process breaking the PA11-TOY to iPod cable. I bought a replacement cable from USA Spec and now the iPod doesn't charge and I'm only getting audio from the right speakers.

I tried my roommate's iPod just to make sure the new iPod wasn't the culprit and had the same problem.

I plugged "Y" cable into the aux port, adjusted the dip switches and connected that to the headphone jack on top of the iPod. In that configuration I have clear sound out of all 4 speakers.

I took everything completely apart and re-wired it just to make sure nothing had come loose and still I only have sound out of the right speakers and the iPod doesn't charge.

The PA11-TOY unit looks to be intact none of the connectors are loose and all of the cables seat very firmly.

The only conclusion I can come to is that the new cable from USA Spec is pinned wrong. Or the actual PA11-TOY box is broken. Someone please help!