Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

'05 ipod troubles (with pics)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2006, 08:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default '05 ipod troubles (with pics)

i tried to install a new (old) cd player in my tC today. it had been around for a while, most recently appearing in my '90 talon. its been sitting in the living room collecting dust for a year or so, and while i was cleaning, i noticed it had the red and white AUX inputs on the back. this gave me the idea that i could plug my ipod into it and listen in the car! i had never installed one myself before, but a useful DIY tear-down i found here was greatly helpful.

new wiring harness to fit toyota/lexus/scion

i dont have those fancy shmancy rubber connectors, so electrical tape will do

center console taken off; stock radio

stock radio taken out

new radio pluged in; seems to function perfectly

AUX inputs for ipod

new radio mounted

works after mounted

ipod phone jack rounted under console; comes through e-brake opening

all back together

now, there is a big problem with the setup, and i believe it's the radio to blame. CDs and the radio both work perfectly, but the AUX input is... strange. first off, it doesnt seem to have its own mode. IE, press the "source" button, and it will switch between radio and CD, but not AUX. if i plug my ipod in and play it, i can hear it, but only over whatever mode is selected. so to get it to work, it seems i have to be on CD mode and then have the CD paused (to get silence), then i can listen to my ipod on AUX. thats not too big a deal, and nothing i cant get over. but the second and much bigger problem is that while listening to the ipod, sound *only* comes out of the rear two speakers + sub. no idea why it does this =/ i think i might drop by san diego car stereo and have them take a look at it; see if they can figure out why. but i think it's just because its kind of a ____ty radio. i bought it for 100$ over 3 years ago. its the bottom-of-the-barrel cheapest model pioneer made at the time. with that said, i do think it plays CDs and has better EQ and other options than the stock scion radio. so while it doesnt play my ipod properly, i think i'll leave it in untill i can afford to buy another cd player that will work properly. any other ideas?
Old 01-04-2006, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no one?
Old 01-04-2006, 01:43 AM
5 Year Member

The first thing that comes to mind is that, that AUX hook up is for a cd changer...I asked the guy at the shop if I could do that when i installed my pioneer in my (then) new 2000 passat...he said it wouldn't work right....hope that helps...
Old 01-04-2006, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ehh thats probably it