Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

2006 tC HU: Compatible with 2005

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2005, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2006 tC HU: Compatible with 2005

*edited* updated with current information

ok, i have the new wiring diagrams for the 2006 tc and it has the the diagrams for the new head units. comparing diagrams between the model years, it appears they take the same standard wiring harness. so yes, you can take a 2006 HU and put it into your 2005 and it will work without any kind of special retrofitting.

however, the wiring harness for the steering wheel controls is separate from the standard radio controls. the wiring harness for the steering wheel controls is combined with the harness of the aux port in the center console and also a single wire from the combination meter (this cable is a very interesting wire indeed! more on that in a second). so, what this means is it will be *really* hard to buy the hardware for the steering wheel controls for your 2005 and actually get it to work with the 2006 HU if you decide to put one in. BUT, at least if your 2005 HU goes bad or if you want the ****, you'll be able to use a 2006 HU with out doing any serious hacking.

now, back to this interesting wire... as i said, it looks like it's joined with the wiring harness that combines the steering wheel controls and the aux port (non-ipod port). this wire is labled as "SPD" on the radio and appears that it's attached to the speed control sensors which means this could probably be used for aftermarket or eclipse head units and using it for gps! good news indeed!!

also, we know from this thread that the 2005 (older head unit) will work with a newer 2006: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66640

so, to sum this up:
- 2006 (2nd generation) HU is compatible with the 2005 model tC. there is no connector option for the ipod HU similiar to the TOY03-AUX. pehaps scion/toyota will release one or maybe a 3rd party will, but for now, if you want the ipod HU in your 2005 tC, you will NOT be able to connect an ipod in your 2005 tC. also, if you want to have the steering wheel controls on your 2005 tc AND the 2006 HU, it would be fairly hard to do. not only would you have to purchase a new steering wheel, you'd then have to retrofit the wiring over to the 2006 HU. i would say it's possible, but not w/o alot of headache and $$$ depending on what the steering wheel will cost.
- 2005 (1st generation) HU is compatible with the 2006 model tC. also, you can add the TOY03-AUX to your 2005 HU, but you will not be able to use the integrated wiring for the aux port that is located in the center console/arm rest that is found on the 2006 model.

if anyone has any questions regarding the new HU, respond here and i'll do my best to answer them using the wiring diagrams.

also, in case anyone was wondering, the ipod and aux ports are in the center console/armrest. referencing the pic below (thanks to tc_TRD for the pic), the first port is the ipod connection (actually connected to an ipod!), then the aux port and then the power port:
Old 06-10-2005, 08:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sure someone will come out with a connection to retrofit the iPod connector to the back of the HU. Actually, if it is the same AUX port and that is where the steering controls and iPod wires go, then it should be quite easy to just use a TOY03-AUX or any other iPod connecting hardware. You'd just have to drill the holes yourself.

BTW, thanx for doing the research for us.
Old 06-11-2005, 12:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

how much is an 06 hu?
Old 06-11-2005, 02:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ohhhh I want an 06 head unit . volumn **** baby WOOO HOOOOOOOO
Old 06-11-2005, 09:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

so with all this said, getting the 06 HU, the only advantage would be the *****. both 06 HUs are single disc players and if you can't use the ipod with it in your 05, the only advantage is the **** or ***** depending on which HU you buy. unless you do mp3 discs you will only have a single disc player as your only source of personal music input. that's not too cool. actually that's not cool at all. why not just go aftermarket? it's probably around the same price.
Old 06-11-2005, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 2006 tC HU: Compatible with 2005

Originally Posted by icdedppl
ok, i have the new wiring diagrams for the 2006 tc and it has the the diagrams for the new head units. comparing diagrams between the model years, it appears they take the same wiring harness. so yes, it looks like you can take a 2006 HU and put it into your 2005 and it will work without any kind of special retrofitting.

however, the wiring harness for the steering wheel controls is separate from the standard radio controls. the wiring harness for the steering wheel controls is combined with the harness of the aux port in the center console and also a single wire from the combination meter (this cable is a very interesting wire indeed! more on that in a second). so, what this means is it will be *really* hard to buy the hardware for the steering wheel controls for your 2005 and actually get it to work with the 2006 HU if you decide to put one in. BUT, at least if your 2005 HU goes bad or if you want the ****, you'll be able to use a 2006 HU with out doing any serious hacking.

now, back to this interesting wire... as i said, it looks like it's joined with the wiring harness that combines the steering wheel controls and the aux port (non-ipod port). this wire is labled as "SPD" on the radio and appears that it's attached to the speed control sensors which means this could probably be used for aftermarket or eclipse head units and using it for gps! good news indeed!!

also, we know from this thread that the 2005 (older head unit) will work with a newer 2006: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=66640

so, to sum this up:
- 2005 HU is compatible with the 2006 model tC. if you do this, the ipod/aux ports will not work and the steering wheel controls will not work.
- 2006 HU is compatible with the 2005. if you do this, it will be *extremely* hard to get the steering wheel controls to retrofit it to work. also, it looks like it would be *extremely* hard to "build your own" wiring harness to get the ipod/aux ports working because of how the harnesses and wires look for each.

if anyone has any questions regarding the new HU, respond here and i'll do my best to answer them using the wiring diagrams.
Do you know if all of the center consoles have the iPod hookups already built in? This could be the stumbling block to getting it fitted into an 05. Also, do we know if the iPod would work without the steering wheel or spd wires hooked up (I would think it should, but who knows). Also, if the iPod part in the center console is not included on every 06, does all of the extra equipment come with the headunit to wire this up? If this is the case, it could possibly be done to an 05.

I currently have an iPod connection, but I would LOVE to have track names on the headunit, and to have the headunit work the iPod. That's why I am so interested in this.
Old 06-12-2005, 03:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Boricua - yes, you're right. it looks like you could use the TOY03-AUX as it appears to have a similiar aux input on the back. so if you put the 2006 HU in a 2005, you could buy the TOY03-AUX but you would have to wire the rest yourself. and yes, someone could perpaps make a "TOY03-IPOD" or something similiar to where you could use your ipod in your 2005 as well.

mancide - the 2006 vehicle is pre-wired with the ipod harness (behind the HU) and it travels down the console to near the console where your shift **** would be. if you buy the ipod option, there is a cable that must be installed under the shift **** that attaches to the harness there and then you run it to the center console/armrest to where the ipod input is. if you wanted to get this to work on a 2005, you really couldn't unless somone made an ipod-only accessory add-on. something simliar to the 03-AUX but just for the ipod part. and yes, i believe it will work w/o the steering wheel or the spd wire. i'm not even sure why the 2006 HU even has the SPD wire hooked up to the HU considering it's non-gps. so yes, i'm sure *eventually* you will be able to, but someone (toyota/scion or 3rd part) is probably going to have to release an ipod option adapter that is compatible with the 2006 HU.
Old 06-12-2005, 11:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

06 HU is cool cuz it has the **** for volume.....
Old 06-12-2005, 11:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

also for the steering wheele controls, the airbag cover is smaller, i don't know if you could just get an new cover so easily, and may have to replace the airbag.. that is expensive.
Old 06-13-2005, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by icdedppl
Boricua - yes, you're right. it looks like you could use the TOY03-AUX as it appears to have a similiar aux input on the back. so if you put the 2006 HU in a 2005, you could buy the TOY03-AUX but you would have to wire the rest yourself. and yes, someone could perpaps make a "TOY03-IPOD" or something similiar to where you could use your ipod in your 2005 as well.

mancide - the 2006 vehicle is pre-wired with the ipod harness (behind the HU) and it travels down the console to near the console where your shift **** would be. if you buy the ipod option, there is a cable that must be installed under the shift **** that attaches to the harness there and then you run it to the center console/armrest to where the ipod input is. if you wanted to get this to work on a 2005, you really couldn't unless somone made an ipod-only accessory add-on. something simliar to the 03-AUX but just for the ipod part. and yes, i believe it will work w/o the steering wheel or the spd wire. i'm not even sure why the 2006 HU even has the SPD wire hooked up to the HU considering it's non-gps. so yes, i'm sure *eventually* you will be able to, but someone (toyota/scion or 3rd part) is probably going to have to release an ipod option adapter that is compatible with the 2006 HU.
So, unless we can buy all these parts, looking for a wrecked 06 with iPod harnesses would probably be the cheapest? ;P

Keep us updated if you can find parts and harness numbers.
Old 06-23-2005, 06:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, if I were going to spend $300-400 on buying an HU off of Ebay I might as well just get me a new HU, like the Kenwood.
Old 06-24-2005, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you do get a new aftermarket headunit, i wonder if you will be able to connect the steering wheel controls to it.. Ive done it in the past with the factory steering wheel controls of a car controlling a small IR unit that acted as a remote for a pioneer headunit.. all we would need is the interface/wiring kit
Old 06-27-2005, 01:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by gavmitchau
If you do get a new aftermarket headunit, i wonder if you will be able to connect the steering wheel controls to it.. Ive done it in the past with the factory steering wheel controls of a car controlling a small IR unit that acted as a remote for a pioneer headunit.. all we would need is the interface/wiring kit
Probably will be available, maybe not right away since it will have to be adapted for the aftermarket units.
Old 06-27-2005, 01:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds good.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, someone reported that the steering wheel controls will work with an aftermarket head unit. not sure which hu he had, but this is what you use to get it to work: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-yjRfGfD...8900&I=127SWIX

he said to use the camry instructions...
Old 06-27-2005, 02:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You know after looking at the pics of the '06 HU, I noticed something else other than just iPod and volume **** changes. This new deck also plays WMA files, not just MP3.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was pretty sure the old one did play them. but too bad its sitting in a cardboard box in my garage right now so i cant test it out ;)
Old 06-27-2005, 02:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nope, the 05's only have the MP3 marking on them. The 06's have both WMA and MP3 markings.
Old 06-27-2005, 02:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was pretty sure it played a .wma.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default x

xx

Quick Reply: 2006 tC HU: Compatible with 2005