Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

8" components in front doors of tC (Updated w/pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 07:23 PM

Default 8" components in front doors of tC (Updated w/pics)

Has anybody installed 8" components in the front door of there tC? Mine will be in this Monday and I will post pics of the install. If you have done this or thought about it, let me know what ya'll think.

Here are some pics of the install

THESE SOUND ABSOLUTLY AMAZING, THE BEST PURCHASE YET
(These speakers are also Full Range Speaker)
Old 06-15-2007, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

are you looking for mid bass or subs in the doors???

eh i think 8's are kinda over kill for daily
Old 06-15-2007, 07:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Let us know if it fits. Good luck!
Old 06-15-2007, 07:50 PM

This will be for strickly Mid-bass. Its the 15-msync8 components made by Memphis.
I work at a audio shop here in MS and the local memphis sells rep has them and they are the sh__! Definitly not over kill. I play drums and I want to fell every note. MEMPHIS CAR AUDIO RULES!!!!!
Old 06-15-2007, 08:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice! hope it works never had memphis audio though
Old 06-15-2007, 08:49 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

I actually have been considering this. I was going to use the ED mid bass. Try and fiberglass them in myself in a sealed enclosure.
Whats the mounting depth of the 8s you want to use? What airspace do they need?
Old 06-15-2007, 09:15 PM

They are 3.5" deep and they don't need to be in a sealed enclosure from what the Memphis rep said. I will post pics with reviews hopefully before Weds.
Old 06-15-2007, 09:21 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

How much do they sell for? maybe I will try it. Alittle fiberglass and it would look good.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:24 PM

They run about $250 on ebay, $400 retail. You shouldn't need to glass anything because it going to be behind the door cover. I'm cutting a 1" baffle and sealing it up around the baffle with silicon.
Old 06-15-2007, 11:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: 8" components in front doors of tC

Originally Posted by -ANNX-
If you have done this or thought about it, let me know what ya'll think.
I haven't done this in the tC, but have in other vehicles. The important thing is your goal for the complete system, and how the 8" drivers in the doors integrate with the rest of the components.

I think it can be a good solution for midbass, but only when it's midbass frequencies only, such as a bandpass signal from 50Hz to 200Hz, with a sub handling the lower freq's and midranges-tweeters (located elsewhere, such as the kick-panels) covering everything above the MB's low-pass point. If you're not going to do a 4-way system (preferably at least tri-amped, if not quad) Then I wouldn't use 8" drivers in the doors, unless I was going to pair them with under-dash mounted HLCDs that produced full output down to 800HZ or lower, along with a sub. Using 8" drivers to cover frequency ranges larger than and/or outside of what I stated often results in less than acceptable sound quality, especially when they're located so far off-axis from the listener and the path legnths from each driver are so unequal, which is exactly what you have when placing them in the tC's doors.
Old 06-16-2007, 12:39 AM

That's deep, good information. I have only heard the final product with a slightly bigger amp and was throughly impressed. The components come with a option to mount the tweeter on the woofer. Go check it out at http://www.memphiscaraudio.com/. Thanks for the advise.
Old 06-16-2007, 05:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Kicker sells a good 8" midbass
Old 06-18-2007, 01:11 AM

I will be doing this soon. I am going to try the 8" midbass in the door. I ordered some baffles that I hope will allow me to do this and I will post pics. My midbass are fairly shallow. I think like 2.75" with a small neo magnet. I forgot to mention, I had these 8s in the door of my civic, which was a lot of work to get them in. I am sure I will get them installed it is just a matter of how much work to do it. I will be pairing mine with a 4" mid and a 1" tweeter in kicks.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:32 PM

I have installed a test speaker of the same model and everything works great. The window is still fully functional. The only problem I had was the bottom of the door is alittle mis-shaped due to having to slightly force the door to snap back together. You don't notice any difference and the door is snapped all the way around. I have pic of the install and will have pics of the finished install tonight, but I need you guys to tell me the easiest way to do this. I tried last night and can't get any on the post. I have a 8.1 meg Sony camera if that helps. I also read the ? and still no luck.
Old 06-18-2007, 04:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know VW's use some weird speaker sizes like 8's.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Adidude
I will be pairing mine with a 4" mid and a 1" tweeter in kicks.
That should be great, provided the crossover point between the MB & MR is kept low, and that shouldn't be a problem since the 4" should be able to handle 200Hz easily.

It's only when people try to use an 8" midbass over too wide of a range when there's an issue, such as when it's required to produce midrange frequencies to match a small tweeter, such that the crossover point is fairly high. This is further compounded by the stock door hole location in the tC, relative to the listening positions.

If anyone really wants an 8" MB in the doors and only a 2-way system (no MR for the range from MB to tweeter), I suggest you look into this setup, or a similar component set from one of the few other companies that offer them.
Old 06-19-2007, 03:10 PM

If you do this install, make sure you use plenty of sound mat. I have 2 layers of eDead V1se, and I'm thinking 2 more might handle it.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it can be a good solution for midbass, but only when it's midbass frequencies only, such as a bandpass signal from 50Hz to 200Hz, with a sub handling the lower freq's and midranges-tweeters (located elsewhere, such as the kick-panels) covering everything above the MB's low-pass point
mid bass is a bit, no much higher then 200hz. 200 youre still in the subrange, mid you want to start at 500-7500hz. you may want to overlap this if the speakers can handle it and avoid "holes"

example - your sub plays at 200 down tune the mids at 180 up this way you have no gaps in the frequency response. Using an rta will show the gaps in the freq that you need to fill and adjust accordingly via crossover gains. if passive crossovers are used, then use the closest setting to the frequency response of the given speaker.
Old 06-19-2007, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Sweet, this is great news. Means I only need to glass a mid to the door and I will have wonderful things.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's an interesting idea... Some day I might replace the rest of my speakers in my tC... but it's VERY low on my list.

Quick Reply: 8" components in front doors of tC (Updated w/pics)