Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

ACTIVE radar jammers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2006, 12:23 AM
Banned
SL Member

Traffic Radar: The Basic Idea

Traffic radar's constant beam acts very much like a searchlight, both in its shape and in its method of operation. That's because microwaves behave much like light waves. They travel in straight lines and they are easily reflected. Metallic objects like cars, trucks, guard rails, and overpasses make the most effective reflectors, sending glints of microwaves around in unpredictable directions just like glints of light.

Unlike light, however, you can't see the radar beam because microwaves are invisible. But they are very easily received by a radio tuned to microwave frequency. And, in fact, such a radio connected to a compact antenna forms the basis of all traffic radars.

Traffic radar works by shining its microwave searchlight down the road.
When you come in range, the beam bounces off your car, and the radar antenna looks for the reflections.

How Traffic Radar Measures Your Speed

Traffic radar calculates speed from the reflections it receives. It uses a phenomenon of physics know as the Doppler principle. We've all heard how the Doppler principle works with sound waves. The classic example is heard along railroad tracks. As the train approaches, you hear the sound at a fixed pitch. The instant the train passes and begins to move away, you hear a lower pitch. The train itself is making the same sound both coming and going, but t a stationary listener, the speed of the train adds to the pitch of its sound as it approaches, and subtracts as it departs. This change from true pitch is called the Doppler shift and the magnitude of the change depends only upon the speed of the train.

Traffic radar applies this Doppler principle to microwaves.
It compares the shifted frequency of the reflection to the original frequency of the beam it sent out and from the difference it calculates speed, which it then displays on its digital readout. That's all there is to traffic radar.
Old 03-02-2006, 12:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Do you mean the Laser Defense from beltronics i have the RX65 ITS excellent! Has saved me many times......by the way how much you get the 905 for?

didnt it come with directions of how to install? you should call or go to the beltronics website for info.....or google it!
Old 03-02-2006, 12:41 AM
Banned
SL Member

The rxx65 is coming saturday 208.00
Im looking on getting the laserpro 905 to hook up with it
229.00 for it

I found install for 904 should be same. Beltronics has it so you need to go to a beltronics dealer and have them install it. They dont give out directions
Old 03-02-2006, 12:57 PM
Banned
SL Member

BTW radar jammers are illegal in all 50 states. Its not a police thing per se. Its the FCC. They do not want stray microwave transmissions messing up all the other microwave transmission services that run every day
Old 03-02-2006, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member

I AM RUNNING A Passport SR7 plus Shifters TOTALY HIDDEN UNDER THE HOOD
Old 03-02-2006, 04:57 PM
Banned
SL Member

I think im going to ahve to cut away some of the grill to set mine up. Think ill moount the rear jammer on ther front license plate and the other 2 heads next to the headlights
Old 03-02-2006, 05:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What if a cop can spot the senors from the outside and realized it? Even tho you have a toggle switch, can he say that you had it on when he clocked you? Would he even have a reason to pull you over since he couldnt get a valid reading? (i got off a DUI on the account a cop didnt have valid reason to pull me over) Long as you toggle is off after the first cop, can they prove you had it on?
Old 03-02-2006, 06:16 PM
Banned
SL Member

Police officer needs probable cause to pull you over.
Probable cause is anything he makes up.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:23 PM
5 Year Member

Duker

Did you get your equipment straight from the the beltronics sight or somewhere else?
Old 03-02-2006, 08:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

DUKER: anything he makes up doesnt validate it in court... i would know
Old 03-03-2006, 02:12 AM
Banned
SL Member

DUKER: anything he makes up doesnt validate it in court... i would know

Wrong! Cop said my license plate light was out, motion to dismiss thrown out becuase not having license on person was discovered and was not poison fruit.

In other words, the cop pulled me over with the lame excuse of my license plate light being out. Wanted to search my vehicle, denied him. Got a ticket for not having DL on person.
Judge said even if i was pulled over for something that doesnt exist not haveing DL on person was a completely different crime
So yes probable cause is anything they make up
BTW i got pulled over 6 times in a 2 week period by the same cops and it was either the license plate light or my tail lights that wrent working.... but only when i drove past them

Did you get your equipment straight from the the beltronics sight or somewhere else?
Ebay saved a 100 bucks. Guy has 713 transactions and a 100% feedback rating

Oh yeah one more thing and it is important. Due to a supreme court decision a police officer has the option of taking you to jail for even a seat belt violation. When they take you to jail it is their discretion to have your car towed, even if it is parked legally.
If they tow your car they have to inventory the contents. So think twice about saying no to a search

Rememer this saying
"Am I free to go Officer?"
Use it often and dont say nothing else
Old 03-03-2006, 02:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
OhioScions
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by Duker
Police officer needs probable cause to pull you over.
Probable cause is anything he makes up.

Rememer this saying
"Am I free to go Officer?"
Use it often and dont say nothing else
Old 03-05-2006, 09:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just wanted to add, there arent any true radar jammers anymore. But there are li-dar/laser jammers. Laser technology is regulated by a different agency (think its the FDA but dont quote me). Currently transmitting laser to confuse laser guns is legal in many states. But it does have its limitations, works best at long range. If youre too close the lidar shifter doesnt have time to react and the gun will get and accurate reading.

Oh, and those Rocky Mountain radar jammers that you see in magazines? Snake oil. Might as well be filled with rocks. They can make those claims of "if you get a ticket we'll pay it!" because they sell enough extra units with that claim that the rare time someone does request a pay-out its just a drop in the bucket.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:56 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone dumb enough to run an illegal microwave transmitter in their car (jammer) needs to understand that it is putting out a radar signal that will look just exactly like a police radar unit to every radar detector in the area.

With every one else's radar detector screaming it's head off, and them all slowing down because of it, you will create your very own traffic jam wherever you go.

If you escape from the jam you created and speed, it should be fairly easy for an officer to pick you out, 'cause you will be passing all those other cars. :D

====

The FCC, among other things, enforces the "Communication Act of 1934" and the laws, rules and regulations created in response to it and international treaties.

The ban on unlicensed transmitters that do not fit within the exceptions of FCC Rules and Regs, Part 15, is not something new and is not specifically aimed at radar jammers - it covers ALL transmitters in the US.

How hard is it to detect a jammer? Simple: get any cheap radar detector...

(FCC First Class commercial radio license since 1963... and 'subject matter expert' for FCC compliance in my old company for years.)