Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

after 8 hours still no luck with my remote start PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default after 8 hours still no luck with my remote start PLEASE HELP

My buddy, a professional installer worked on my car all last evening. Its a manual and he put a relay on the clutch as well as the brake. The car starts fine with the key, but as soon as you attempt to remote start it...it simply clicks and eventually blows the starter fuse under the hood. Any ideas what the problem could be? He really put alot of time into everything and looked to be doing a really good job. I ended up leaving the car with him and was just wondering if anyone knew anything specal about this situation. He found the clutch and brakes wires with a multimeter so they seemed to be correct to me............PLEASE HELP
Old 01-09-2007, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

If a fuse keeps blowing under the hood, that could be that there is a bad ground somewhere. you migh want to contact the manufactuer of the alarm or remote start that you bought. There could be something really simple that your missing and they could help you out.

What kind of system do you have?
Old 01-09-2007, 02:45 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

VIPER LCD
Old 01-09-2007, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is he using an immobilzer bypass... a part from DEi that is a black box that contains your extra key.. so the car will start?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes he is
Old 01-09-2007, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does he have the 2nd starter wire hooked up with a relay? And the 2nd Ignition wire?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Isn't it illegal to connect a remote start to a manual?
Old 01-09-2007, 03:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ThePerchik
Isn't it illegal to connect a remote start to a manual?
I dont beleive it is illegal.. some companies even make a RS just for a manual.. But most shops wont install them on a manual for liability reasons.
Old 01-09-2007, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Default Re: after 8 hours still no luck with my remote start PLEASE

Originally Posted by whitetrd
My buddy, a professional installer worked on my car all last evening. Its a manual and he put a relay on the clutch as well as the brake. The car starts fine with the key, but as soon as you attempt to remote start it...it simply clicks and eventually blows the starter fuse under the hood. Any ideas what the problem could be? He really put alot of time into everything and looked to be doing a really good job. I ended up leaving the car with him and was just wondering if anyone knew anything specal about this situation. He found the clutch and brakes wires with a multimeter so they seemed to be correct to me............PLEASE HELP
I don't mean to be an a$$ but good luck.

I had my bro-in-law (a mechanic and electrical is he's specialty) he failed at it. I then had an authorized installer of the alarm/starter (compustar) put it in and failed. Oh yeah this pro installer was said to be the best around. He was a joke and failed and I'd love to run into him and break all his fingers. He blamed my stereo I had at the time for being the problem. I ripped the stereo out and he had nothing to say after he still couldn't get it.

Good luck.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by etsnet

I had my bro-in-law (a mechanic and electrical is he's specialty) he failed at it. I then had an authorized installer of the alarm/starter (compustar) put it in and failed. Oh yeah this pro installer was said to be the best around. He was a joke and failed and I'd love to run into him and break all his fingers. He blamed my stereo I had at the time for being the problem. I ripped the stereo out and he had nothing to say after he still couldn't get it.

Good luck.
Paul if you need any electrical done to your car, make the 3 hr trip north to Daytona and I will hook you up..
Old 01-09-2007, 04:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Good luck.
oh god, i probably know of the shop. who did it?
Old 01-09-2007, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is the car starting to crank at all? tc has a 2ed starter, you need to have that hooked up as well. you need to also bypass the clutch switch, that way the car thinks the clutch is always pushed in, and it will start the car

oh i forgot, did he hook up the tach wire? before trying to remote start, you need to make sure the alarm learns the tach.
Old 01-09-2007, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

My installer also struggled with my 5spd RS install. It took him two full days to complete the install. He also said he kept on blowing fuses. I wish you good luck.
Old 01-09-2007, 07:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ask him to double check the wiring on the relay for the second starter. it's probably sending a negative pulse cuasing the fuse to blow.

It could also be the way he wired up the relay for the clutch bypass. instead of wiring a relay to it, just connect the two wires at the clutch switch. that way it will always be bypassed, you wont have to press your clutch to start your car manually. its quick and easy.
Old 01-09-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProshopXB

Good luck.
Paul if you need any electrical done to your car, make the 3 hr trip north to Daytona and I will hook you up..
If I attempt to do a RS again I'll let you know. Thanks!
Old 01-09-2007, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ProshopXB

Good luck.
If I attempt to do a RS again I'll let you know. Thanks!
Werd... RS are nice..but a TT is all you really need with your setup.. Im sure you dont mind sitting in the car while it's warming up and listening to the engine purr..
Old 01-09-2007, 04:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Whocares05050

Good luck.
oh god, i probably know of the shop. who did it?

Extreme Performance in Palm City. You've probably seen their black turbo Subaru wagon driving around PSL. I see it all the time. Their a joke, you had to have seen were they put the sensor for the alarm. It was unbelievable.

Sorry for the thread jacking, I'm done.

BTW, pay the extra money and drive to some place that's done a RS in a tC. It will save a LOT of headache and money.
Old 01-09-2007, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
teamNJCT
SL Member

Make sure that the black/white wire is hooked up to the neutral safety switch. As for the relay have the black wire on the relay connected to the negative status output for the starter. Connect the brown and red wire to a 12 volt source and the yellow wire to the second starter wire on the ignition harness. If you are using a 556UW bypass module make sure that you have the red to a 12 volt source, black to ground and the blue wire connected to the blue/white wire that is on the viper brain. The blue white is next to the brake wire, hood pin wire and tach wire. As for the harness that has 12 wires on it you only need three. White goes to parking lights, black to ground, and red to the 12 volt source. If you want horn honk that will be the brown wire. We have security in this car so be sure to hook up factory disarm... Should be a green wire on the brain, or green/black. If you need more help let us know.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:46 AM
5 Year Member

Is the remote starter option available from the dealer for manual tCs? I mean, do they instal it for you when you buy ur new manual?
Old 01-10-2007, 12:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Rebeld321
Ask him to double check the wiring on the relay for the second starter. it's probably sending a negative pulse cuasing the fuse to blow.

It could also be the way he wired up the relay for the clutch bypass. instead of wiring a relay to it, just connect the two wires at the clutch switch. that way it will always be bypassed, you wont have to press your clutch to start your car manually. its quick and easy.
Sorry for all your trubles but I did my car in a matter of hours and followed that with 4 other scions for friends. Its really not a hard car if you know what you are doing. No offense but your professional installer sounds like he is over his head.

Just my 2 cents, if you just connect the 2 wires on the clutch together and leave it that way, you will not have cruise control any more. You need to wire up 2 relays and have one for the switch at rest at the top of the clutch pedal and one at the bottom of the clutch pedal. Its been awhile since ive done one otherwise id tell you exactly how to do it. Out of the close to one thousand (I keep a list just for fun) of remote starters i have done, the TC is one of the easier ones.

Good Luck

if you were closer id finish it for ya, sorry

Quick Reply: after 8 hours still no luck with my remote start PLEASE HELP