Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

alarm installers please chime in

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

Default alarm installers please chime in

well, i was talking to a guy about installing a python 990 on my 07 tc and he told me that in order to be able to use remote start you have to put a key in the car so that it would bypass the imob. so i was wondering why he would need a key when dei makes a imob. bypass. so my question is, how does the imob. bypass work? do you have to program it with the key so that it can give that signal to the ecu for that second that you need to be able to use remote start? i'm wondering this because i've never heard of leaving a key in the car to use the remote start.
should i tell him to just install the alarm and do the imob. stuff my self? don't worry i know how to wire and i'm a tech for toyota so i have the resources. i'd install the whole alarm my self but its a PITA and too much work.
BTW, he's done many cars for my friends including a g35, 3 chevy trucks, galant and a couple others that i can't remember right now.
thanks and sorry for the long read.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:24 AM
5 Year Member

dei has remote start immob. parts for a lot of vehicle that don't need a key, but for toyota the only part you can use is the universal transponder. it tells the car that the key is in so start. you need the transponder if you havea chip in the key. a way you can test is to hook up the remote start, try to start it with the key out of the car. if you start you don't need it. if it doesn't stick the key in the ignition or hold it next to the the key cylinder. if it starts then, retest once more to make sure, sometimes the car will trick you (it sounds silly but car do like to play jokes on you)

P. S.
you have to use a key (valet key most likely) with it. you put the key in the box, hide the box and it will throw the singnal from the chip in the key to the receiver in the key cylinder we it get the go ahead from the status output on the alarm.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah he needs to put the key in a 556U. Its the only way to get a tC to remote start. I've done my share...
Old 01-31-2007, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

with the 556uw you have to put the key in it and also it has a wire with a loop on the end of it, you have to run that and put it around the ignition where the key goes.
Old 01-31-2007, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scion Evolution

well if i have to leave the key in the 556, then what exactly does that thing do? isn't that the same as just leaving the key in the car?
Old 01-31-2007, 07:49 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

you need that key in there to bypass the immobilizer..

yes... you are essentially leaving the key in the car... bypassing the stock "security" system... to install remote start for another...

imo... screw remote start.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The key will be inside the immobilizer bypass which will be tucked up underneath the dash out of the way. When the remote start is activated, the bypass is turned on and it sends a signal to the rf ring that is around the ignition cylinder to make the car think the key is in the ignition. Its not enough to just leave the key in the car, which is what I think you are getting at...
Old 01-31-2007, 04:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

soo since there is the immobilizer bypass for remote start... does that mean that someone could make a copy of your key without the chip and start it? or does the bypass only work when using the remote start?
Old 02-01-2007, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The bypass only activates when the remote start is used. No worries on getting your car stolen because of it. I say that if someone goes through the trouble of getting a key cut to steal your car, then you gotta respect the determination that involves and just let them have it.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know its been said about 100 times, but I just put in a viper 5900 responder, and they had to use my valet key in order to start my car, he was saying thats the only way! I was alittle concerned about leaving my spare key in my car, but I have to give him credit for hiding it, cause he told me where it was, and I still havent found the damn thing!!!
Old 02-01-2007, 01:03 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Stealth_Fighter_tC
I know its been said about 100 times, but I just put in a viper 5900 responder, and they had to use my valet key in order to start my car, he was saying thats the only way! I was alittle concerned about leaving my spare key in my car, but I have to give him credit for hiding it, cause he told me where it was, and I still havent found the damn thing!!!
niiice where and how much did you get it for? I want one too because of the range. But i think im going to have to settle for a 791xv because its available at Best Buy and I get an employee discount
Old 02-01-2007, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StevieSoFly
niiice where and how much did you get it for? I want one too because of the range. But i think im going to have to settle for a 791xv because its available at Best Buy and I get an employee discount
I got it on eBay for $225, but the day after I bought it, the seller (discountedelectronics) or something like that, was suspended for selling viper alarms on ebay, thank god mine was already sent out to me before that happened! I've been searching since that day for my brother, but havent come across any. The 791X isnt bad, and its the SAME thing as the 5900, just 1/4 mile range instead of a mile!
Old 02-01-2007, 02:10 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i want the range! oh well what i really want is the viper 7900 but all the places I've called dont carry it and don't plan on it any time soon because not much of a demand they said.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member

there is a company that have blank keys that you can have you're chip cloned to. the key isn't cut but have the electronics inside to be placed in the 556uw.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by ryomanmkiii
there is a company that have blank keys that you can have you're chip cloned to. the key isn't cut but have the electronics inside to be placed in the 556uw.
Thats not a bad idea, and dont get me wrong, But when I bought my tC It came with 2 remotes, and a spare valet key, so buying another blank just for the alarm to work, seems kinda......well expensive, and dumb! BUT if you got the money, and use for the "real" valet, then id say do that!! Just my opinon
Old 02-01-2007, 03:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StevieSoFly
yeah i want the range! oh well what i really want is the viper 7900 but all the places I've called dont carry it and don't plan on it any time soon because not much of a demand they said.
yeah thats the same thing I said when i was looking for an alarm! The 7900? havent seen that one yet. Ill continue to search for a cheap 5900, if I find something ill PM you with the site and info!
Old 02-01-2007, 05:40 AM
5 Year Member

Thats not a bad idea, and dont get me wrong, But when I bought my tC It came with 2 remotes, and a spare valet key, so buying another blank just for the alarm to work, seems kinda......well expensive, and dumb! BUT if you got the money, and use for the "real" valet, then id say do that!! Just my opinon
the key i'm referring to isn't a toyota manufactured key. it's third party key and the cost is significantly less than getting a key from a dealer.. (i need spell check)
Old 02-01-2007, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

they do sell the uncut scion ones on ebay though i think...but for like 90 bucks
Old 02-01-2007, 06:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have done my fair share of remote start installs. The last one was on a newer GM that needed an immobilizer. Now, this is where my question comes in.

Is the tC too new to have an immobilizer made with the code already in it? The GM I did the install on had this small box that hooks up to the other wires and learns the code of the car the first time you turn it on and then works without the key.

I would suspect that an immobilizer could be made for the Scion to do the same thing. Of course, maybe the technology used it just expensive anyways. Of course, now that I think about it, the immobilizer was more than the remote start ($55) so the cost of the valet key probably evens it out.

Off topic: What is the point of the valet key? Why does it matter to make sure it does not have the keyless entry? Maybe it is lost on me since I have yet to ever use a valet.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the key i'm referring to isn't a toyota manufactured key. it's third party key and the cost is significantly less than getting a key from a dealer.. (i need spell check)
Thats a good idea, I wasnt downing it at all, I was just saying when I bought my tC I got 3 keys, 2 remotes, and 1 valet which I have no use for anyway....So I used that one for my alarm, and I still have a spare key! Thats all I was saying.

Quick Reply: alarm installers please chime in