Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

alarm on tc?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Scikotics

Default alarm on tc?

Just wondering what kinda alarm people be using on their cars. This my first car so i ain't familiar with alarm systems. anyone know if the alarms they sell at like circuitcity or bestbuy any good? I read mix reviews on the ones with the engine starter..any help appreciated

Old 07-03-2007, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally have the Python 990 that is sold at Circuit City. I install them at Circuit City so I have delt with them a lot. The Python alarms are good quality alarms. Viper which is the just about the same thing as Python is made by the same company DEI and are also good alarms. Viper is sold at Best Buy and a lot of smaller car audio stores. Clifford is also made by DEI and again are very simalar to Viper and Python. All three use the same accessories and there a good amount of them.

I would recommend getting an alarm with a 2 way remote. It is a personal preference but I like it because I know if my alarm is going off if I can't hear the car. If you are going to get a 2 way alarm get the one with the LCD remote one not the LED remote. I say this because in my experience the LED remotes don't work that well, they have a delay when you hit any buttons. Overall you are going to get what you pay for a good alarm isn't cheap.

Oh yeah as for the remote start half of it my Python works great and I have known many people with Viper's and they worked great too. I would stay away from Audiovox alarms and remote starts, I had one and had nothing but problems with it. Well that is my 2 cents.
Old 07-03-2007, 05:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

definately agree with Steve.....alot of the audiovox stuff ain't that great.......and code alarm stuff....(at least from when I used to work at CC and used the code stuff) is crap, and caused nothing but problems....CC was retarted for giving up Viper....owell but if your goin 2way LCD is the way to go and I think it's SSD or somethin along those lines, gives you half a mile range on the pager and from what I hear works great......
Old 07-03-2007, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

I have and Prestige alarm. This it my 4 car with on.. Even though i didn't install this one on the tC.. it was installed at the dealer ship. and it wasn't done all that great. I had to pull it out and reinstall it.. not that the wiring or the install was bad.. it was installed and a spot i didn't care to have it in.

But with any alarm being at 400 dollar system or a 20 dollar one off of ebay. The way you install it makes all the difference how the system works. So just get one thats in your price range and installed by some one that knows what they are doing.. and don't be scared sit around and watch what they are doing during the install
Old 07-03-2007, 11:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Clifford Matrix 50.5x 2-Way Pager Alarm is the one I went with for both my cars.

I ordered from Amazon.com, very good price.

Don't forget to buy the sensors/accessories to go along with the alarm itself. Because the alarm itself is not suffice enough imo.

And one more thing I need to mention. There are things you can compromise, but a security system is definitely not one of them.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey everyone I notice that Car Toys is having a sale on the car alarms and I was looking to put one in on my TC. Do you guys know which one is better in brand, Clifford or Audiovox and which features are better? Here is the link to it,

http://www.cartoys.com/default.cfm/t...ote_Car_Alarms

Please if people can respond that would be great

Thanks
Old 07-09-2007, 04:40 PM

Default Stock TC alarm?

Does anyone have any experience with the stock TC alarm? I know the general rule of thumb is to buy all aftermarket accessories, but I was just curious if the security system that you can buy with the TC is any good?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Doesn't the Tc come with a Security System?
Old 07-10-2007, 03:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

the tC doesn't come w/ a security system. it is offered as an accessory option. it's pretty much like all other security systems that come from factory. personally i wouldn't go for it. i'd rather do aftermarket. preferrably something by DEI.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
teamNJCT
SL Member

well i got the security system installed at the dealership. it was on of the many things they thow in for free.. hut from what i was told they just install aftermarket security systems as a piggy back to the key less entry system and the immobilizer
Old 07-11-2007, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by AnthonyC
Hey everyone I notice that Car Toys is having a sale on the car alarms and I was looking to put one in on my TC. Do you guys know which one is better in brand, Clifford or Audiovox and which features are better? Here is the link to it,

Thanks
Clifford is the better brand, made by DEI who makes Viper and Python. I had an Audiovox and have installed a bunch of them and I don't like them at all. I haven't come across anything made by Audiovox that is any good.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

how much does the python usually run w/ install? because i just got my 08 2 weeks ago and already about about 2k put into it with more int he process so i need one. and is it worth getting remote start w/ it or no?
Old 07-12-2007, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the feedback

Originally Posted by combatsteve
Originally Posted by AnthonyC

Thanks
Clifford is the better brand, made by DEI who makes Viper and Python. I had an Audiovox and have installed a bunch of them and I don't like them at all. I haven't come across anything made by Audiovox that is any good.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Scikotics

Originally Posted by scotspitch56
how much does the python usually run w/ install? because i just got my 08 2 weeks ago and already about about 2k put into it with more int he process so i need one. and is it worth getting remote start w/ it or no?
circuit city got it installed for $379..they offer lifetime warranty if the alarm fails or something like that.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

ok good. because i know best buy jumped all of their prices on vipers and everything else and even excluded free install on it now (even on the alarm that was like 600$
Old 07-19-2007, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by scotspitch56
ok good. because i know best buy jumped all of their prices on vipers and everything else and even excluded free install on it now (even on the alarm that was like 600$
so i went to circuit city today looking to put a alarm in and they told me that to put a alarm on a tc they need to disable the driver side knee airbags indicator and that the airbag indicator light will remain on until it gets reset by the manufacturer...anyone else ever heard about this? I wasn't able to find any other posts about this. any help appreciated!
Old 07-19-2007, 03:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Should I not get the security key option that they offer and get a regular one and do an aftermarket alarm system at either ciruit city or best buy?
Old 07-20-2007, 01:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i've given up and said screw it for now on the alarm since mine already has a security alarm that goes off if someone tries to get into the lock or busts a window, because i dont feel like mesing with same problems as mayism. then again its circuit city, and if they are anything like the ones around my area they are complete idiots as it is lol.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so in conclusion, its a better choice to go with an aftermarket alarm like the Clifford Matrix 50.5x 2-Way Pager Alarm that i am planning to get,and just keep the factory key remote for door entry and what ever it does..also do you know that after installing an aftermarket alarm will the key remote functions still operate
Old 07-24-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tcvenom
so in conclusion, its a better choice to go with an aftermarket alarm like the Clifford Matrix 50.5x 2-Way Pager Alarm that i am planning to get,and just keep the factory key remote for door entry and what ever it does..also do you know that after installing an aftermarket alarm will the key remote functions still operate
I was wondering that too! If on an aftermarket alarm system, can they intergrade the arm and disarm with the factory car keys?

Quick Reply: alarm on tc?