Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Amp and Sub Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 06:59 AM

Default Amp and Sub Questions

OK, So I just ordered my new sub and amp and I was hoping some of you could help me out with a few questions. First, the new sub I'm getting is a Rockford Fosgate PL1-112 which handles 150 watts RMS at 4ohms. The amp I'm getting is a 600w PowerAcoustik that does 95 W RMS x 2 ch at 4 ohms, 120 watts x 2 channels at 2ohms, and 240 watts x 1 channel Bridged at 4ohms. So what would be the ideal setting for the best performance. Also, is it ok to mount the amp on the subbox. I've heard of a few people doing this so its easier to remove for space. I'm really just looking for a good place to mount it without drilling into the car really. Something easily movable would be ideal. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Amp and Sub Questions

Originally Posted by sirhceel23
OK, So I just ordered my new sub and amp and I was hoping some of you could help me out with a few questions. First, the new sub I'm getting is a Rockford Fosgate PL1-112 which handles 150 watts RMS at 4ohms. The amp I'm getting is a 600w PowerAcoustik that does 95 W RMS x 2 ch at 4 ohms, 120 watts x 2 channels at 2ohms, and 240 watts x 1 channel Bridged at 4ohms. So what would be the ideal setting for the best performance. Also, is it ok to mount the amp on the subbox. I've heard of a few people doing this so its easier to remove for space. I'm really just looking for a good place to mount it without drilling into the car really. Something easily movable would be ideal. Any thoughts anyone? Thanks in advance for the help.
Do NOT mount the amp on the box... I know many people do it, but they are really risking damage to the amp. The constant vibration of the sub is enough to knock capacitors off the amp internally. And as far as a good place to mount the amp, if you can fit it, mount it in the rear-passenger side storage area under the false floor. It's completely out of sight and hidden. You can cut up the styrofoam surround to contour to the amp however you like. Here's a pic of my amps in that location:

If you have any more questions, I'd be happy to help
Old 01-20-2008, 07:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

yeah i wouldnt mount it on the box..its not that easy to move around because you have to disconnect the power from the amp to get the speakerbox out
Old 01-20-2008, 07:42 AM

I see. What about the power settings. Would just powering it at the 95 W RMS be under-powering it too much. If I did it bridged is there any way to reduce the power down closer to 150 RMS? Is that adjustable at all?
Old 01-20-2008, 07:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I see. What about the power settings. Would just powering it at the 95 W RMS be under-powering it too much. If I did it bridged is there any way to reduce the power down closer to 150 RMS? Is that adjustable at all?
Don't worry about that. If the amp is capable of 240wRMS and the sub is 150wRMS, you're fine running almost all the way up to full power. The Punch won't blow until at least 200-225 watts, and you'd be at almost 80% volume by that point. Just set it all up and set the gains on the amp accordingly. If you really are afraid of giving the sub too much power, just turn the gains back on the amp, it'll cut back the amount of power the sub will see, however, it will also decrease the sub's output.

You really don't have anything to worry about, bridge the amp to 240w x 1 and you'll be fine

EDIT: And yes, 95W is NOT enough. 95W means that at 100% volume, you'll get 95W to the sub, an believe me, it needs more than that. Your sub probably needs 95W at 50% volume to sound the way you want it to
Old 01-21-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't really agree about the not mounting amps on the box itself. i have done it numerous times and never had a problem. if my box was big enough to actually mount amps on then i would be doing it.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tcguy85
i don't really agree about the not mounting amps on the box itself. i have done it numerous times and never had a problem. if my box was big enough to actually mount amps on then i would be doing it.
Ehh, only reason I advised against it is because when looking into where to put mine, I though about the back of the box, but when I looked around on caraudio I saw that a few people had actually knocked caps off their amps after mounting them to the box and pounding them too hard. My neighbor's boyfriend actually lost caps off his Infinity amp that was mounted to his box w/ 2-12's. I just didn't want to risk it

But I'd trust tcguy over myself, most of what I really know about car audio came from his help, and in fact several components of my own system are from his suggestions, so I'd say you're safe with his opinion.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:52 AM

Awesome, thanks for the help. Sound's like I'll just set the gain at around 3/5 the way up just to be safe. That should keep it from blowing it. I still don't know about the mounting on the subbox. But if its safe to use powered subwoofers with the amp built in then then you would think that mounting it on it would be just about the same effect. Plus, its not a super loud sub so I would bet that it would be ok. Its going to vibrate the whole area anyways. Guess I'll just have to see and use it as an experiment. Hmm...how about a poll.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome, thanks for the help. Sound's like I'll just set the gain at around 3/5 the way up just to be safe. That should keep it from blowing it. I still don't know about the mounting on the subbox. But if its safe to use powered subwoofers with the amp built in then then you would think that mounting it on it would be just about the same effect. Plus, its not a super loud sub so I would bet that it would be ok. Its going to vibrate the whole area anyways. Guess I'll just have to see and use it as an experiment. Hmm...how about a poll.
I wouldn't just say you're going to set the gain for 3/5 and be done with it...as setting gains is a process of checking for distortion and adjusting accordingly. If your head unit puts out 8 volts at 100% volume, for instance, 3/5 gain could easily blow the amp at higher volume... if it's only a 2 volt pre out, on the other hand, 3/5 might be fine.

Here's a good tutorial on gain setting: http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...read.php?t=542

Try to use a dynamic track to adjust gains (one with a WIDE range of lows, mids, and highs so you can adjust for most any other song you'll listen to. Just turn your volume up until you hear distortion through your door speakers, then back it off until the distortion disappears for the most part, then just add gain until you hear your sub distort at that level of volume. Then back it off til the distortion is gone.
Old 01-21-2008, 05:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ nice, x2!
Old 01-21-2008, 06:12 AM

Good point. So really the best way to get the best sound is to just raise the gain slowly until it distorts then lower it little from that correct?That giving it the max amount of power the sub can handle. So too much power is what makes it distort then right?
Old 01-21-2008, 06:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good point. So really the best way to get the best sound is to just raise the gain slowly until it distorts then lower it little from that correct? So too much power will make is what makes it distort then right.
nah, not too much power but dirty clipped power. you can usually over power a speaker a good amount b4 damaging it. it's the dirty power that the amp will make once it's been pushed beyond it's limits that will cause the damage.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good point. So really the best way to get the best sound is to just raise the gain slowly until it distorts then lower it little from that correct? So too much power will make is what makes it distort then right.
Correct!... For the most part... When you reach the upper limit of your amp's output, you start "clipping" the signal, which in a simplistic way, means that you are sending an unclean signal to your speakers, which is not what you want. Just follow the steps i said and read the tutorial I posted for a better understanding, it should help you out in understanding the concepts behind all this.

But if you have any issues, just let us know, I'm on here every day pretty much, so I'll always be around to help
Old 01-21-2008, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kidwolf908
Correct!... For the most part... When you reach the upper limit of your amp's output, you start "clipping" the signal, which in a simplistic way, means that you are sending an unclean signal to your speakers, which is not what you want. Just follow the steps i said and read the tutorial I posted for a better understanding, it should help you out in understanding the concepts behind all this.

But if you have any issues, just let us know, I'm on here every day pretty much, so I'll always be around to help
yes, it's the dirty clipped power that the amp will start sending the speakers once it's reached it's limits. if you want and "need" to use 600 watts get an amp that does 750 so your not pushing it to far. i have way more power than i need, but is it hurting my speakers? nope, not one bit.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 AM

Ok cool. Good information to know.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok cool. Good information to know.
yup. lol when it comes to amps, get whatever power you can afford. if the sub only needs 300 watts if you can afford to get way more than do it. it'll never hurt to have to much power.

i have a component speaker set that is rated at 60 watts rms per side. i have 205 on tap just for each mid. right now the tweeters are running off of the HU (so only about 22 watts per side) but i plan to put an amp that can do about 80 watts a side to them as well.

will they blow? if i can actually stand to listen to it loud enough to use all of that power for a long period of time, probably yes, but i won't be. it's a great thing called headroom.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

do not... i repeat.. doooooo noooooootttttt. put your amps under the panel in the back. it will over heat and it will suck..