Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

ANNOYING tapping noise whenever hitting a bump

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 09:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thanks, but no, its definitely coming from the driver's side; either in the dash (possibly where it meets the windshield) or its actually originating in the wheel well/strut tower and i hear the noise coming thru the firewall
Old 03-26-2007, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Ive been having this problem too. I will also agree its probably temp related. I bought my car in june of 06 and didnt start hearing this until decemberish. Now its been pretty warm outside and i cant remember the last time i heard the noise. I almost always hear it getting off my exit from the LIE cause it has a ton of little bumps, but it has been behaving well for a while.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i hear it every day. def not temp related cuz its much warmer out now.

and its def coming from inside the dash or possibly even the door pillar/frame.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it has something to do with the glue or adhesive on the windshield
Old 03-28-2007, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I hate to say this but I posted in the xb forum the same complaint. It drives me nuts. I have the trd springs.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by StevieSoFly
it has something to do with the glue or adhesive on the windshield
r u sure? i thought i heard something about this too. like a tab on the windshield is broken or needs to be removed or something.

how did u find out about this. is there a tsb which [surprise, surprise] the dealership hasn't told me about?
Old 03-28-2007, 07:19 PM
SL Member

Default Me Too.

I Have Tein S-Tech springs on my 07 TC BSP. Springs have been on for a while now, the Tap Noise is very noticable, loud, scary especially in mornings... It sounds as if a large pebble fell from the sky and hit the glass roof. I have noticed it happens only when driving over a bump when you first start the car. The weather has warmed up since then, and the problem has gone away since. So I guess its no big deal just a fluke.
~ Mechy
Old 03-28-2007, 07:33 PM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I'm getting a tap from the rear passenger side on bumps regardless of temperature. The car is on progress coilovers (07 5k miles). I had it checked out at a local shop and they suggested it could be loose end links but that everything else looked good. Planning on getting a camber kit before I get it aligned to see if that helps at all.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That tap noise you have seems like the same one I had back in december last year.
I took it to the dealership and they found the tapping noise originating from under my windsheild edges near the lower base and right A-pillar corner. They had to remove the windsheild and inspected the mount surface where the glass rest on. They found a high spot on the weld surface causing the noise. (Damn robots that built the car and created the high spot.) The tech burred it out flat and since then the noise never came back. Just be prepared to be without your tc for a week because that how long it took for the dealership to correct the problem.
Old 03-29-2007, 02:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SCIONOSIS
That tap noise you have seems like the same one I had back in december last year.
I took it to the dealership and they found the tapping noise originating from under my windsheild edges near the lower base and right A-pillar corner. They had to remove the windsheild and inspected the mount surface where the glass rest on. They found a high spot on the weld surface causing the noise. (Damn robots that built the car and created the high spot.) The tech burred it out flat and since then the noise never came back. Just be prepared to be without your tc for a week because that how long it took for the dealership to correct the problem.
hmm, u know what, that souns EXACTLY like where my noise is coming from.

u have an 05? maybe could u like have your dealership techs call the [dumbass] techs at my dealership and explain to them what the hell to do?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

XLR8TOR said it. i had a TC at work with the "windshield tick" went away but came back even after the tabs were cuz only when it was like 5 degrees out. car hasnt come back so i havent looked at it again but theres more to it then the windshild clips i already cut them and it was there about 1 hour later clickin away.
Old 04-01-2007, 08:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did the car have an aftermarket or otherwise altered or modded suspension by chance? cuz i first noticed the noise in mine shortly after i had my trd shocks installed, also during the winter when it was like 10 deg out though. i told my mechanic about it, when i first heard it, he said he thought it was probably weather related. its still there in the warm weather though. definitely related to hitting a bump with the front driverside wheel. it almost sounds like "plasticky" in nature though.... or even glass on plastic or something. its not metallic i don't think.