Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Audio Help! Subs Randomly Cutting Out?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 01:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Audio Help! Subs Randomly Cutting Out?

Well guys I need some help here. For the past week or so my subs have been randomly cutting out. For instance, it started my only playing half the notes in the song then moved on to only turning on for some random songs. Here's the part that gets me, it seems like a loose wire somewhere. However, I have checked all my wiring, including the ground and power wires. I have checked all the fuses connected also. The amp does NOT turn off when the subs cut out, it stays on as if it were loose wiring or blown subs. I know its not blown subs cause, well they still turn on every now and then. If anyone has any ideas on what this could be I would greatly appreciate it! Oh and also this system has been working for the past year or so since I've installed it with no problems until now.

Here are the specs of my system:
Kenwood KDC-448u Head Unit
Power Acoustik Gothic Series 800w amp
2 10" American Bass XO subs
4 AWG Ground and Power wires

Thanks in Advance!
Old 06-03-2011, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Grab some long speaker wire and find a buddy with a system willing to help you out. Wire straight into another set of subs and see what happens. If that is not it, run another set of RCA cables. You did not mention them specifically, they may have a short. Just checking the wires by looking at them is not enough. I don't know how you checked them, but the copper strands can break and not be visible. Try new wire. I'm no audio guru, but I do have a decent grasp on the basics.
Old 06-05-2011, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

We'll I just checked my speaker wires and they still seemed fine. My speaker wire rubber casing is transparent so I could see the wire. Even still I doubt it would be the speaker wire, cause what are the odds of both breaking simultaneously? My bet now is it's probably bad RCA's. I'll try to find a buddy who will let me borrow their system so i could try hooking it up to my RCA's and seeing if it works.
Old 06-08-2011, 05:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

did you check the wires going to the sub in the box....mine does that time to time since I was lazy and didnt solder them to the terminals in the box and sometimes they come loose just enough that the signal shorts

take subs and put them in another persons car and see if problem goes with it...if not check RCAs from the deck to the amp for loose connection....RCAs break pretty easy,smal wire in them that is in most cases cheaply soldered to the ends....I even broke a set of Knukoncepts once that I stepped on and it broke the solder point and one channel went dead and did that same thing....took me a week to find it.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah originally I thought it was the connections on the inside of the box. So I took my subs out and sure enough the wires were merely twisted and electrical taped..go figure. Well I soldered those connections but it still didn't work. After this I had a buddy let me hook up my amp to his subs, and his amp to my subs. We figured out that my amp was not outputting anything so we figured it was the RCA's. We got a good pair of rockford fosgates and re ran those through the car but that still didn't work.

Well finally we figured it out, one of the solders inside the amp must have came loose. When we shook the amp you could hear something rattle around. I guess having my amp mounted to the back of my sub box for over a year took its toll haha

Thanks for your help guys