Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

AVIC-D1 problem with angle and eject button.

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2006, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AVIC-D1 problem with angle and eject button.

I am a installer at circuit city for car audio. Today I had a customer come in with a tc that had just gotten an avic-d1 installed at Best buy. Before I even ask my question, i just have to throw in that this install was very messy. There was just a big clump of wires behind the head unit all with these ____ty crimp caps.. I solder everyhing i do. Anyways, The reason the he came in was to get the metra kit that covers that gaps on the left and right of the unit. He also wanted his unit bypassed. I decided to just do the install on the side. I did the standard bypass for the avic-d1, where u pull a wire out the harness, put it in the open slot next to the ground, ground the wire and ground the park break. I thought everything was working, but the guy came back in about 10 minutes saying his angle button and eject button wasnt working. For some reason you had to hold down the eject for it to open, whereas normally u just hit it once for it to open to the cd slot, and hold it to go to the dvd slot. Also the angle button didnt work.. The guy even said when he pulled out he was able to adjust the angle, then he was playing with some settings and it started to act up.. I dont know what could be wrong why its doin that. And im afraid im going to get in trouble for bypassin the unit, and to top it off getting paid in cash on the side lol.. Oh and the final thing which he didnt mind was the door on the tc dash doesnt close all the way because of the combination of the side gap fillers along with best buys install job.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know what the deal with the buttons not working right is, but it sounds like maybe Best Buy did such a crappy job that some of the wires are loose or somethign is rubbing or something - hard to say.

I had a question about the install though - I'm about to install my own D2 (never done this one before) and I'm wondering about the bypass - I know there is some additional wire in the harness you can use in the empty spot in the harness, but is there any reason you'd want to keep that wire where it was? Where could you get an additional wire instead of pulling apart the harness?
Old 07-24-2006, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You can get an additional wire from another pioneer harness, but the easiest thing to do would be to pull out the yellow/black wire(phone mute), I doubt you will ever use this. Although this post is so old, i might as well state what was wrong with me original post. Best buy mounted the head unit all funky and when i put it back in, it was not completely straight so the unit was actually rubbing against the door when it tried to open.. Its all good and its been fixed for awhile.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good deal - thanks for the update. In any case, please tell me a little more about the phone mute wire - would that wire only be used if you had a phone hardwired into the car? It's not in any way related to using a bluetooth phone or anything, is it? I don't think anyone has hardwired phones anymore...
Old 07-24-2006, 04:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The deck itself could be bad but then again this could have been based on where the holes where made to try to make it sit flush. I dont know what the big deal is with BB or CC either way it is a installer error not a company issue. as for the chance of u getting in trouble I am a former installer and we always have to be careful with the choices we make. best of luck to you
Old 07-24-2006, 06:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this post is so old, this issue was handled a while ago.. And iowagary, yes the phone mute wire is only for hardwired cellphone kits