Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

AVIC-D2 Install Help! - Wiring Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default AVIC-D2 Install Help! - Wiring Question

i've got a couple wiring questions for people who've installed an AVIC-XX already. Bear with me because I want to do this right and i don't want to mess it up.

1. What should I do with the ground wire from the AVIC harness? It's really long. i was thinking I could cut it and connect it to the ground wire in the stereo harness, but it's so long it looks like they want you to ground it seperately - is there any reason to do that?

2. I know if I ground the parking brake wire, it's part of unlocking things. Can I cut that one and ground it through the stereo harness as well?

3. I've heard in other threads that one of the blue wires is the power wire for the AM antenna. There are two blue wires - one is marked "system remote control" - the other is marked "auto-antenna remote control". Which is the one I want?

4. Speed sensor - I've heard it's an orange wire and it's #14 - I think it runs behind the console. Is there any more specifics on how to find it? Is it plain orange?

Anyone who can help... I'd be forever grateful.

thanks!

-IG
Old 08-03-2006, 06:42 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wiring Behind Radio
(use only these)

Radio 12v blue + radio harness
Radio Ground brown - radio harness
Radio Ignition gray + radio harness
LF Speaker +/- pink - purple +,- radio harness
RF Speaker +/- lt. green - blue +,- radio harness
LR Speaker +/- brown - yellow +,- radio harness
RR Speaker +/- red - white +,- radio harness

Speed Sense purple ECM, 2nd plug from top, pin 17
Note: The ECM is behind the glove box.
The VSS wire is also yellow in the radio harness. (not sure myself if this is true, but u might have to test for this. just install the speed sense wire into this and check the system config menu on the unit and if the speed sense rods move or u hear the beeps. it worked)

now on the UNIT itself.
yellow 12v
black ground (ground it to the chasis for the car, since the unit will probably draw more than a aftermarket radio. or if u feel lazy, just get ground from the radio harness)
red accessory

system remote control is the remote turn on. if u have amps. this is where u get ur rem turn on.

auto-antenna remote control dont need this unless u installed a powered antenna on ur vehicle. ummmmmm........

now the ground bypass ur talkn' about. i'm not sure but the avic wont work completely like that. but i can get u answers tomorrow when i get to work. i work as an installer for car audio @ circuit city. i hardly install navi systems. i stick to customizing and alarms. and commonly decks/speakers/overheads
Old 08-03-2006, 12:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

okay...i'm not sure about the d2 but with other pioneer units with the parking brake wire you have to wire it to ground through a switch. when the car is turned on you have to flip the switch off and then back on. The avic unit is looking for a reset of the parking brake so that it thinks the car was sitting with the parking brake on and now you've turned it off.

as for those two blue wires, neither one has anything to do with an AM antenna. The system remote wire is basically a 12V trigger for turning amplifiers on when you start the car. If you don't have any amps then cap it off and don't worry about it. The other wire is if your car has an auto up and down antenna which none of the scions have. Cap it off and don't worry about it. And who cares about AM radio anyway. Your radio antenna plugs into that black cylinder that is hanging from the headunit.

DON'T CUT THE GROUND WIRES FROM THE RADIO HARNESS! I would cap off the ground on the harness you purchased and run the long ground wire that came with the radio harness to a bolt somewhere in the dash. Just to keep from picking up ground noises from the engine.

The color code insanelyx has listed isn't the CEMA color code. The harness that comes with the radio has all the proper colors. Any harness you purchase to connect the radio harness to the car will have the correct CEMA color standard. We are pretty much agreeing on everything else
Old 08-03-2006, 02:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks you guys. So I'm going to try and find a good ground bolt up under the dash somewhere - not exactly sure where, but I'll poke around in there and see what there is to see. I think I do need to use the system remote wire to turn on the amp in the bazooka sub I've got - the VSE one. I'm pretty sure about that, so I'll make sure to hook that up right. Now I've just got to hook up the speed sensor wire (i'll go hunting for that one) and figure out what to do with the parking break wire. I don't think it needs a switch though. There is some stuff I have to do with adding a pin to the missing port in the harness, and other than that, I think the wire just needs to be grounded. See https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...t=avic+install about that. I sure hope that's all I need to do...
Old 08-03-2006, 04:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh yes.... i remember now... there is a missing pin in the main power harness. ground the parking wire and that pin stuff a 16 gauge wire and ground that too... and it override all the safety features...... grrrrrrrrrrr.
Old 08-03-2006, 05:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I'm thinking I'm going to tie the pin I put into the missing pin hole into the ground wire on the harness - just for neatness and becaue I figure it should be good enough for the head unit, then I'll find another ground connection outside of the harness for the big ground wire coming from the stereo and maybe for the parking brake wire too.
Old 08-03-2006, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

check out www.avic411.com lots of useful information for you
Old 08-03-2006, 06:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They've got a lot of info, but I wish they just had a plain installation thread. I confirmed some of the unlocking stuff there, but since it's not Scion-specific, things like installation help are a little harder to find. Now I just need to find the updated map discs - I think mine shipped with 1.0 and 1.2 is out or something.
Old 08-03-2006, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you can probably find someone to copy them for you
Old 08-03-2006, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah - I've heard there are bit torrents of them, but I haven't spent too much time looking. I think people also try and sell bootlegs of them online, but I'll see what I can figure out on my own first. If you hear anyone offering (or if anyone around here has them!) I'd love to get my hands on them.