Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Box for Dayton HO 10", need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Box for Dayton HO 10", need Help!

Hey guys, I just finished up putting in my Components and Alpine Amp to go with it. Now I'm getting started on installing a sub with another Alpine amp.

The total wattage (RMS) will be 900wrms. The PDX2.150 I run right now is 300wrms and the PDX1.600 I'm getting will be 600wrms.

So my question is, should I run a capacitor?

I can get a 1.2 Farad Tsunami for $50 shipped right now, so it's kinda the time to buy for me

Thanks!

The real dilemma now is about which box I should get, Pg. 2 has the most recent issues.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you will not need one. i am running pretty much the same power as you with no voltage drop what so ever.

if your still set on the Dayton sub which runs at 4 ohms you will be perfectly fine for sure. running a sub amp at 4ohms is much more efficient on your electrical.
Old 12-29-2007, 06:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm.. I was pretty sure I'd need one at that point, but great! And tcguy, since we run a similar setup, how do you have your system grounded and powered?

I was thinking of just using a distribution block from my one 4awg lead to two 4awg leads for my amps and then just have both of their grounds on the same bolt. But should I use another block to convert the two grounds back together to one so there's only one ground to the bolt?

And how should I determine the amp rating for the mini-ANL fuses in the distribution block? Just the total of the fuses on each amp?

EDIT: And yes, I was still going to run the Dayton HO
Old 12-29-2007, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you do end up needing one go with Flux brand Capacitors, they are rated up to 1.6 jigawatts
Old 12-29-2007, 06:49 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
SL Member

Default Re: Do I need a Capacitor?

Originally Posted by kidwolf908
So my question is, should I run a capacitor?
No.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nah you really really won't need one. i'm 100% sure that you won't. there is a big debate on whether they really do much of anything in the first place.

i was running the same setup i have now except with a different sub that was running at 2 ohms (so that means 800watts for the sub at 2 ohms and 410watts for the comps at 4 ohms) and i still didn't have a problem. so thats 1200 watts, and you'll be running roughly 900 watts all at 4 ohms. so you will be fine, i know that for sure. i have heard that the alpines are really efficient as well so that makes it even better.

for the wiring:
i have a single 4 gauge run from the battery to the back going into a distribution block splitting the single run or 4 gauge into 2 short runs of 4 gauge(one to each amp).

then i have a 4-6"piece of 4 gauge going to another distribution block being split into a 4 gauge wire for each amp as well. so the same thing pretty much for the negative as the positive.

i'm sure you could just run two 4 gauge wires right to the same bolt but i decided to do it the way i did (seemed simpler and uses less wire).

just another little side note. if you do choose the Dayton HO sub and put it in the box i recommended, you will really be suprised at how little power it will need. i don't think mine has ever seen more than 200watts of the 400 i have on tap. it's crazy efficient in the box i have it in.

i don't normally play rap but i put on Jeezy's Hypnotize (which is a really loud, bass heavy song) and my DMM on the speaker terminals read 27 volts at the highest peak, which is about 185-190 watts at 4 ohms. and it had my steering wheel, my visors, and my sunroof all vibrating a decent amount. the sub is seriously amazing.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get it flux capacitor, 1.6 jigawatts? no... anyone?
Old 12-29-2007, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by oni424
oh boy. lol
Old 12-29-2007, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha, sorry oni, I was concerned about the question at hand first

Wasn't really thinking about back to the future...

But tcguy, do you think I could get away with another PDX2.150 bridged to 300wrms with the Dayton? I know you suggested giving it more power, but the 1.600 is a good $75 more than the 2.150, and that's money that would go right into a nice tuned box without raping my wallet.

Just as a side note, I was actually looking into a Phoenix Gold RSD10 or RSD12 just as a cheaper alternative, $85 and $110 respectively. Anyone have any insight on those subs? I'll spend the extra on the Dayton for the quality, but I was just curious about going exclusively PG on the speakers and sub

Thanks again everyone!
Old 12-29-2007, 08:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Haha, sorry oni, I was concerned about the question at hand first

Wasn't really thinking about back to the future...

But tcguy, do you think I could get away with another PDX2.150 bridged to 300wrms with the Dayton? I know you suggested giving it more power, but the 1.600 is a good $75 more than the 2.150, and that's money that would go right into a nice tuned box without raping my wallet.

Just as a side note, I was actually looking into a Phoenix Gold RSD10 or RSD12 just as a cheaper alternative, $85 and $110 respectively. Anyone have any insight on those subs? I'll spend the extra on the Dayton for the quality, but I was just curious about going exclusively PG on the speakers and sub

Thanks again everyone!
i have never heard the rsd subs but have heard they are great as well. i really can't comment on it so.

using another pdx2.150 should be ok but i like having extra headroom. but like i was saying earlier on, i don't think mine has ever seen more than 200 watts in the first place so it might not really be needed. i would just hate to see you buy the smaller amp and wish you had gotten the bigger one. i would probably choose the Dayton over the rsd sub though. i am truly amazed at the dayton and don't think you could go wrong with it.

also the good thing about the Dayton is the eficiency, they don't need tons of power, i have heard the rsd's love a good 750-1000 watts. so if you choose the cheaper rsd you'll need to buy a bigger more expensive amp.
Old 12-29-2007, 08:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tcguy85
i have never heard the rsd subs but have heard they are great as well. i really can't comment on it so.

using another pdx2.150 should be ok but i like having extra headroom. but like i was saying earlier on, i don't think mine has ever seen more than 200 watts in the first place so it might not really be needed. i would just hate to see you buy the smaller amp and wish you had gotten the bigger one. i would probably choose the Dayton over the rsd sub though. i am truly amazed at the dayton and don't think you could go wrong with it.
Yea I hear ya...

With the 600 watt amp it'll be $450 + the cost of the box.

With the 300 watt amp it'll be $375 + the cost of the box.

The box will probably run $100-150. So I'm looking at $550-600 for 600 watts and $475-525 for 300 watts.

What do the rest of you think? I really would HATE to be underpowered as well, and I really want to get the best I can with my budget... not to mention, I like that I'd have 900 watts on tap lol... just sounds like a VERY loud number :D

I'm gonna have to get a quote on an enclosure from a local company. I don't want to go with the elemental designs ones, they're too damn big if you actually use your trunk lol. Opinions welcome!

EDIT: Yea I don't want to spend more than I have to on an amp just to get the desired effect from the sub. I'd only save at most $40 with the PG anyway, not enough to justify it, and I don't have any input from someone who actually owns it, unlike the Dayton which has actually been backed by Tcguy, who was SOOO right about the RSD65cs's
Old 12-29-2007, 08:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tcguy85

Yea I hear ya...

With the 600 watt amp it'll be $450 + the cost of the box.

With the 300 watt amp it'll be $375 + the cost of the box.

The box will probably run $100-150. So I'm looking at $550-600 for 600 watts and $475-525 for 300 watts.

What do the rest of you think? I really would HATE to be underpowered as well, and I really want to get the best I can with my budget... not to mention, I like that I'd have 900 watts on tap lol... just sounds like a VERY loud number :D

I'm gonna have to get a quote on an enclosure from a local company. I don't want to go with the elemental designs ones, they're too damn big if you actually use your trunk lol. Opinions welcome!

EDIT: Yea I don't want to spend more than I have to on an amp just to get the desired effect from the sub. I'd only save at most $40 with the PG anyway, not enough to justify it, and I don't have any input from someone who actually owns it, unlike the Dayton which has actually been backed by Tcguy, who was SOOO right about the RSD65cs's
my honest opinion would be to save up and get the 600 watt alpine. you might end up liking your music even louder than me. i would just hate to say get the 300 watt and you end up not liking the output (even though i doubt you'll think the dayton on 300 watts lacks output). it's all up to you in the end. what kind of music did you say you listen to?
Old 12-29-2007, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I listen mostly to rock.

Chevelle, Exies, Audiovent, Metallica, etc. among the newer rock.

Zeppelin, Floyd, Halen, ZZ Top, etc. among the older rock.

Occasionally I'll play rap/hip-hop as well, but not nearly enough to base the system around it lol.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I listen mostly to rock.

Chevelle, Exies, Audiovent, Metallica, etc. among the newer rock.

Zeppelin, Floyd, Halen, ZZ Top, etc. among the older rock.

Occasionally I'll play rap/hip-hop as well, but not nearly enough to base the system around it lol.
ok, then i'd say get the 300 watt alpine. when i am playing rock or metal(that type of music) my sub isn't seeing anymore than 150watts anyway. i know this number seems low but music is very dynamic to begin with(especially well recorded rock or metal). on the other hand rap and hip hop are the opposite (recorded like crap and not dynamic at all).

reproducing rock/metal the way it was meant to be heard was my goal. the double bass kicks really pound me in the back even with the sub only seeing that little power. i'll take efficiency over high power handling any day.

so as long as you plan on using the dayton in the box i recommended then go for it. it should be a sweet setup with awesome SQ and decent output.

i wish you were closer to me, id let you hear my setup first. i think you would like it. everybody else i have showed it to so far has loved the sound and is amazed.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

This guy here seems to like the RSd sub:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5698

I am currently running the flatline in my car right now. Tcguy seems to like his Dayton!

Having a little more power on that aka headroom is a good thing.

Where in MD are you? I'm in the Baltimore county area...thats if you are interested in hearing my flatline off of 1500watts lol.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trialsindude
This guy here seems to like the RSd sub:
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...ead.php?t=5698

I am currently running the flatline in my car right now. Tcguy seems to like his Dayton!

Having a little more power on that aka headroom is a good thing.

Where in MD are you? I'm in the Baltimore county area...thats if you are interested in hearing my flatline off of 1500watts lol.
yea i read that same thread a while back. thats where i based my "i heard they were good" comment off of.

i have heard some good things about the flatline sub. it's no audiobahn though haha :-)

the Dayton suits my needs very well. i like metal so i need a sub that can keep up and not get sloppy with the double bass. the dayton plays my type of music very well. it actually has really good output then i want it to, but other than that it blends very well with my front stage. i would like to see him get the bigger amp as well, but it's probably not needed for this sub in the enclosure i have and that i recommended to him. i have mine on 400 watts rms and i never come close to using all 400 watts of it. i'm more into SQ now than SPL though, which is what the OP looks to be after.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

yeah i want to do the sq also thats why I got rid of the 15" FI BL!!! But now I do kinda miss that 15" sub though...cone area FTMFW!!

I want to do a nice daily setup, groundpounder sql.

I dont know. I just got the flatline, and now I want something different. Maybe 4 8" subs....?!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trialsindude
yeah i want to do the sq also thats why I got rid of the 15" FI BL!!! But now I do kinda miss that 15" sub though...cone area FTMFW!!

I want to do a nice daily setup, groundpounder sql.

I dont know. I just got the flatline, and now I want something different. Maybe 4 8" subs....?!
yea, i wouldn't call my setup "true SQ". i don't think any of my stuff is expensive enough to be considered a real SQ system. i'm on a budget but i still want the best possible sound. but i don't think i could have a much better setup for the $1200.... maybe $1300 that i spent on all of it.

if i get a beater car for next winter like i want i might go the "crazy 8" route for it. do like 4 cheap 8's on 1000 watts or so in a nice ported box tuned in the mid 30's.

well i'm off for the night, i'm interested in seeing where this thread goes though, so i'l lcheck back on it in the morning.

kidwolf: anymore questions just let me know, i'll be glad to help!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think I'm going to just save and get the 600. It'll leave me more headroom for if I want to change the sub in the future. However, after perusing the PG manual, I noticed that the RSD10's and 12's can be mounted in either sealed of vented enclosures, can the same be done with the Dayton?

And what are the pros/cons/differences between ported and sealed?

I do require sound quality over quantity, however, I WILL crank it on occasion and WILL require the sub to hit enough make the hairs on your neck stand up a bit and shake my car.

That's why I can't WAIT to get a sub so I can set the HPF on my comps higher so I won't be afraid of blowing them so much. I wanna unleash the 150 watts/channel I have at hand. I know the PG comps I have can't handle all of it, but I'd like to be able to send them 75-100 watts without sweating it.

EDIT: Thanks a ton Tcguy, and now you too trials! You guys are awesome and Tcguy has been with me through the whole system build so far!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Ahh the old debate of sealed over ported...! LOL

head over here and read this:
http://www.hexibase.com/acoustics/ar..._conundrum.htm

Quick Reply: Box for Dayton HO 10", need Help!