Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Box for Dayton HO 10", need Help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kidwolf908
I think I'm going to just save and get the 600. It'll leave me more headroom for if I want to change the sub in the future. However, after perusing the PG manual, I noticed that the RSD10's and 12's can be mounted in either sealed of vented enclosures, can the same be done with the Dayton?

And what are the pros/cons/differences between ported and sealed?

I do require sound quality over quantity, however, I WILL crank it on occasion and WILL require the sub to hit enough make the hairs on your neck stand up a bit.

That's why I can't WAIT to get a sub so I can set the HPF on my comps higher so I won't be afraid of blowing them so much. I wanna unleash the 150 watts/channel I have at hand. I know the PG comps I have can't handle all of it, but I'd like to be able to send them 75-100 watts without sweating it.
one last before i head out the door:

the dayton can do both ported and sealed. sealed will require more power, and still won't hit the lows quite as well. the Dayton in .7net ported, tuned to 30hz gives a really flat response.

if you want to read up more on the Dayton go over to diymobileaudio.com and do a search on it. i am on there with the same name as here. but there are lots of others that convinced me to give the Dayton a try.

the problem i had with my last sub was that it had problems hitting the upper bass notes and sounded sloppy on double bass which i have heard people say the same with the rsd subs. for rock or metal the upper frequency bass is really important to have.

oh and one more thing, if you set the gains correctly and use a hpf of 63 or so the rsd comps will handle everything you throw at them w/o any problems at all. i think you'll like them even more once you get a sub and can cross them where they should be crossed.
Old 12-29-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by trialsindude
yeah i want to do the sq also thats why I got rid of the 15" FI BL!!! But now I do kinda miss that 15" sub though...cone area FTMFW!!

I want to do a nice daily setup, groundpounder sql.

I dont know. I just got the flatline, and now I want something different. Maybe 4 8" subs....?!
And sorry for not replying to you man, I'm in Harford county, which is only a 25 minute ride down 95 to white marsh. Maybe sometime next week I could slide by and check out your Flatline, if I have time.

I'm gonna be busy helping a friend amp his Polks, but we'll see.

And yea, like I said in my previous post, I do want SQ, but I will crank it on occasion and demand some thump from my sub
Old 12-29-2007, 09:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tcguy85

the dayton can do both ported and sealed. sealed will require more power, and still won't hit the lows quite as well. the Dayton in .7net ported, tuned to 30hz gives a really flat response.

if you want to read up more on the Dayton go over to diymobileaudio.com and do a search on it. i am on there with the same name as here. but there are lots of others that convinced me to give the Dayton a try.

the problem i had with my last sub was that it had problems hitting the upper bass notes and sounded sloppy on double bass which i have heard people say the same with the rsd subs. for rock or metal the upper frequency bass is really important to have.
Ahh, well I will surely go ported with the Dayton then. Just need to get my enclosure :D If I could do it myself it would be fantastic, but I'm probably gonna have to buy it...ugh

Hopefully it'll look good and perform as well though. Thanks again guys, I can't wait to get $400 together for this!
Old 12-29-2007, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Yeah man I'll be around, I don't have to go back to work until Thursday!!
Old 12-29-2007, 10:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah man I'll be around, I don't have to go back to work until Thursday!!
Haha, I have to go back friday, but I don't go back to school til the 28th :D
Old 12-29-2007, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Ahh, well I will surely go ported with the Dayton then. Just need to get my enclosure :D If I could do it myself it would be fantastic, but I'm probably gonna have to buy it...ugh

Hopefully it'll look good and perform as well though. Thanks again guys, I can't wait to get $400 together for this!
Look at fishercustoms for an enclosure..
Old 12-29-2007, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Are they local for pickup or to have it shipped? Sorry can't tell from their website :-\
Old 12-30-2007, 12:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Their prices on there are all shipped. I am considering their enclosure also...
Old 12-30-2007, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Their prices on there are all shipped. I am considering their enclosure also...
Unfortunately, I don't think that their enclosures are tuned. I think it's just a standard port on them around the back corner.

I'd like to get one of theirs because a 1 cu. ft. ported box would be around $100 shipped, but I need it tuned to 30Hz.

I'll probably have to go with a monstrous eD box that's $130 unpainted!
Old 12-30-2007, 05:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

This box here doesn't even look half bad for the price... is there a way you can calculate the tuning on the port based on dimensions, etc.?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-628

I really would like to bring this down to $500 or so.

right now with the eD box I'm at $585
Old 12-31-2007, 01:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^they don't say the tuning or the port size, but from the looks of it it looks tuned high. the port doesn't look very long. i'd say call fishcustoms or sign up on caraudio.com/forum and make a post with what your looking for and you'll get some PM's from box builders on there.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

dont buy a prefab box. fishercustoms will hook you up. shoot them an email and they will get back to you.
Another custom fab place is:
http://www.woodlawncabinetry.com/ (<---- located in PA)

But they will do what you want to happen.
Old 12-31-2007, 05:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dont buy a prefab box. fishercustoms will hook you up. shoot them an email and they will get back to you.
Another custom fab place is:
http://www.woodlawncabinetry.com/ (<---- located in PA)

But they will do what you want to happen.
Schweet, I just shot off a design quote request to them, and I'm working on something with a guy from caraudio.com. Though I'm a little bit nervous about how well it will come out
Old 12-31-2007, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you guys think of this:

Does he know what he's doing?
Old 12-31-2007, 02:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Can't tell w/o the dimension, but it doesn't look bad. As long as the port is 4" wide or so then port noise won't be there.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can't tell w/o the dimension, but it doesn't look bad. As long as the port is 4" wide or so then port noise won't be there.
my port is only 3 inches in diameter. i have zero port noise. this sub only has an xmax of 12mm so it doesn't require much port. people on diymobile audio suggested anywhere from 6" square inches of port and up for this sub. i was skeptical at first but it worked out perfectly fine.

and even with a 3" (mine is 2.85 ID to be exact) the length needed to be 24 inches to get a 30hz tune. it's hard enough to get a 3inch port in there. good luck with a 4 inch hahaha.

it would have to be 50.60" long if you used a 4inch port.

i'd use the 3inch pieces like i did that parts express sells. just make sure to use a flare on each end.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only thing i question is the tuning. your PM said something about 6-11 inches in length. that will get no where near a 30hz tune. with a 3 inch port the length needs to be 24-25 inches long. a slot port might be the easiest way. unless you want the box to be really wide. you'll need to somehow stick 24 inches of 3 inch tube inside but with as few bends as possible. i'd say 2 90 degree elbows at the most.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the only thing i question is the tuning. your PM said something about 6-11 inches in length. that will get no where near a 30hz tune. with a 3 inch port the length needs to be 24-25 inches long. a slot port might be the easiest way. unless you want the box to be really wide. you'll need to somehow stick 24 inches of 3 inch tube inside but with as few bends as possible. i'd say 2 90 degree elbows at the most.
Yea the port is this one right here: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-387

And he said he didn't think a slot vent would work with the size I needed, he tried to design it but no go. :-\
Old 12-31-2007, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea the port is this one right here: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=260-387

And he said he didn't think a slot vent would work with the size I needed, he tried to design it but no go. :-\
no way. a single 2" port is was to small. if you go with a round port a 3" is the only way to go.

you could do a slot port. there is nothing stopping a good builder from doing this with a slot port. i have built boxes before and slot ports are easy if you plan it out correctly.

you could do a 1"x10" slot port with out a problem. it just needs to have a lot of bends. i'd look into fishercustoms like trialsindude was suggesting. i have never used them but have heard great things about them.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea I've tried there and woodlawn but nobody has gotten back to me yet. I wanted to take care of this like today or early this week, but my emails have gone without response so far. I may have to call one of the places... I understand that it's New Years Eve, but damn I thought one would have been open lol

I need to get this stuff ordered ASAP, and now I need to tell this guy from caraudio that I'm not interested since he doesn't know how to design a well-functioning box.

Quick Reply: Box for Dayton HO 10", need Help!