Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Car alarm recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2006, 03:48 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Car alarm recommendations

What car alarms are great, won't go off with the slightest breeze or piece of grass touching it, but yet are still very sensitive and a great price?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

i'll be buying a compustar. i like the range that i get with them on their two way remotes.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bump - I want to know the good car alarms that are out there..pros and cons.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:47 PM
ehj
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't bother wil car alarms. People don't pay attention to them. Infact, nearly everyone I know HATES it when a car alarm goes off near their window. NOBODY looks outside.

Thieves can also easily bypass many of them. I'd just invest on a good pedal lock, ignition kill system and try to get the lowest deductible on your insurance as possible (you can afford).
Old 10-30-2006, 05:50 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm just looking for something more of a motion/pressure sensor. I don't worry about the car being stolen as much as just some dumba** coming by and keying it or breaking the glass just for sh*ts and giggles. We already have an engine imobilizer built in so just some sort of pressure sensor is what I want.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Web, I installed a Python 881 XP in my Tc with a backup battery, proximity, and digital tilt. The most important thing for me was a 2-way pager that would page me if someone F^cks with my car.

I like my alarm system and the proximity can be tuned. There is an outter warning field that you can tune and an inner field. The outter field will send warning chirps when someone or something goes near and you get a page that it warned someone or something away, and when the inner field is penetrated, the alarm goes off full blast and I get a page.

My alarm usually only goes off full blast if you are right up on my car within touching distance or if you are within like a foot of the window. I usually full arm at night and bypass proximity during the day when everyone is outside anyway.

Not having a garage sucks, but having a paging alarm helps man. After someone mentioned the scytek vx8000 and its ability to take pictures, I would love to see one of those things too and how good of a picture it can take.

Oh, some issues with the proximity alarms are that they love to go off when it's raining. When the raindrops pile up on your windows, the field is tripped and your alarm keeps sending warnings off. You almost have no choice but to bypass proximity and rely on the shock sensors and door open sensors when it's raining.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Viper 791xv, nuff said.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:55 PM
5 Year Member

Definetly get a two way, I know theives can bypass an alarm, buy they cant bypass me if they are messing with my car!
Old 10-31-2006, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sddykstr
Viper 791xv, nuff said.
Yep, the Python 881XP is the same unit. I got the Python because the remote was black, otherwise the units are the same.

Sure, thieves can disable the alarm, but by the time they do, it would have already paged the owner and the owner would be outside with their weapon of choice.

It doesn't matter if everyone else ignores your alarm because you wont when you get paged....or will you? lol

Oh, one thing to note, the 2-way systems with proximity should probably be used with the non-metallic tints. I choose the ceramic pinnacle tint so that my satellite radio antenna and proximity sensor wouldn't trip false alarms.

As far as range goes, there might be other systems out there with better range. I always get pages when I'm in the house if the alarm goes off. But at the office, forget it. The parking garage coupled with the signal blocking office windows make it impossible.

I know I also wouldn't get paged if I was in the mall walking around. The little shopping strips, sure, but not in the big ___ malls we have out here.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scratch that, this alarm is incredible!!!! DAMN, I wish I knew about that thing when I went alarm shopping. Night vision imaging????? WTF!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCYTEK-VISIONGUA...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 10-31-2006, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad

SL Member

Originally Posted by ashuras
Scratch that, this alarm is incredible!!!! DAMN, I wish I knew about that thing when I went alarm shopping. Night vision imaging????? WTF!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/SCYTEK-VISIONGUA...QQcmdZViewItem
yeah that alarm seems pretty cool!!....
Old 10-31-2006, 05:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah viper and python (same manufacturer directed electronics) are good alarms. I have the Viper 791xv with remote start, battery back up, motion/proximity sensor etc. If thats too pricey you can also get the viper 771xv which is also 2 way, and the same thing except it doesnt have the lcd screen on the remote but it comes with 2 remotes instead of one that comes with the 791xv. I would have actually went with that one if I would have known they were pretty much the same thing.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

That ebay one is pretty cool..

I have an Astrostart Astro 2WA. I like it, two way pager, alarm, remote starter, good range. Once, stupid meter maid gave me a ticket and it paged me to tell me that my window was tempered with because she probably snapped my wipers to put my ticket on.
Old 10-31-2006, 06:05 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by XxTamTxX
That ebay one is pretty cool..

I have an Astrostart Astro 2WA. I like it, two way pager, alarm, remote starter, good range. Once, stupid meter maid gave me a ticket and it paged me to tell me that my window was tempered with because she probably snapped my wipers to put my ticket on.
LOL, did you run out to kick her ___?