Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Car audio info. Where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by BZinn1
Stock battery does fine to a point,I am using a Red Top and have aobut 1000w total going out and never a problem.

If you buy a flip out DVD make sure it is not one taht goes out and up as the door for the dash will be in the way.
yea I want just a basic headunit. I dont wanna worry about the screen breaking b/c I touch it with greasy fingers or some ____ freezing, and then when its cold I heard problems with them. Plus, If I want a dvd player, I have one at home.
Old 05-26-2009, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who ever is recommending you get Type R's on a $3000 system budget is an idiot, no offense.
Old 05-26-2009, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Who ever is recommending you need to spend every last penny of that $3k figure you threw out there, is a **** gobbling, street corner working, mentally damaged, used gutter baby. No offense.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

^God yes........I spent nearly $2250 and $800 of that was the deck before they went on clearance 3 months later for $400.......still got trunk space too and it is all custom install and I did all work so that was free short of the cost of the beer.
Old 05-26-2009, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kileil
Who ever is recommending you need to spend every last penny of that $3k figure you threw out there, is a **** gobbling, street corner working, mentally damaged, used gutter baby. No offense.
Lol, that directed at me? I didn't tell him to spend all $3000 of it. Explain to me why he should get Type R's which is a mediocre sub when he has $3000 to spend? I'm not saying to go out and spend $3000, but he can get top of the line equipment for $2000 and have equipment he wants to keep and use for a while. Do it right the first time.
Old 05-26-2009, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@YanksFan: Wha? But i thought if I said "no offense" i could be as insulting as I wanna be and it'd be ok? I learned it from you!

Ok, for real though. There's nothing wrong with an Alpine Type R sub, and as original poster has said, he wants a balanced sound. He doesn't need to drop all his $$ on super excursion subs like the MTX 9500, or the JL W6 and W7.

Those would just be overkill. Especially when he's going for sound quality.

I'm thinking he should just get a nice set of from components (maybe Morel?), some rear fills (turned down so they're not overpowering) one 10/12" and a strong 5 or 6 channel amp. He doesn't need to take up all the space in the trunk with some massive subwoofer that's deeper than it is wide.
Old 05-26-2009, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think he was talking about me mentioning my type r's.

which I wasn't telling him to buy, I was simply giving a run down of my system as a price reference.

read before you call people idiots on a forum
Old 05-27-2009, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

@YanksFan: Wha? But i thought if I said "no offense" i could be as insulting as I wanna be and it'd be ok? I learned it from you!

Ok, for real though. There's nothing wrong with an Alpine Type R sub, and as original poster has said, he wants a balanced sound. He doesn't need to drop all his $$ on super excursion subs like the MTX 9500, or the JL W6 and W7.

Those would just be overkill. Especially when he's going for sound quality.

I'm thinking he should just get a nice set of from components (maybe Morel?), some rear fills (turned down so they're not overpowering) one 10/12" and a strong 5 or 6 channel amp. He doesn't need to take up all the space in the trunk with some massive subwoofer that's deeper than it is wide.

I didn't recommend he get a high powered sub did I? And I certainly didn't recommend him to get a W6/W7 or a MTX 9500, I would never recommend those subs ever lol. All I'm saying is, IMO, if he buys a Type R when he has those funds at his disposal for this system, then it wouldn't be smart. I've heard many Type R's and to be honest, I didn't like any of them and I've heard a fair share of systems.

Originally Posted by shupes31
I think he was talking about me mentioning my type r's.

which I wasn't telling him to buy, I was simply giving a run down of my system as a price reference.

read before you call people idiots on a forum

I didn't call you an idiot bud lol. I didn't even read your post to be honest. The OP mentioned something about someone recommending he get Type R's and I said that he can get much better stuff out there for the money he has. So uh, try again pal.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^So, what sub would you recommend then? Just to keep things helpful and on topic.
Old 05-27-2009, 05:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hm, well since you ask. I'll see what I can pull together in his budget for him. Let's start from the Head Unit (HU) and move back.

HU - Start the system off with a very nice HU. I run a Pioneer DEH-780 and absolutely love it. Pioneer makes some of the best HU's on the market. Another great option is the Alpine CDA 9887. Could also look into Eclipse HU.

Front Stage Components - I'm assuming you are going to just run a simple 2-way passive set-up. You can get fancy and run active but that requires a whole lot of tweaking and testing and I doubt you are up for that. Some speaker companies and lines you can look into are Hybrid Audio Technology Clarus C61/2, Hertz, Mmats, DLS, Rainbow, Image Dynamics, list goes on and on.

Front Stage Amp - Obviously will depend on the components you buy. Some top notch companies that make great amps are Audison, Mmats, Sundown, DLS, Tru Tech, CDT, Zapco, Helix. Again, the list goes on and on. I'd recommend just getting a 2-channel amp for the front stage and not even worry about rear fill as it can mess up imaging in the car. A solid front stage is all you need. If you decide you want to run active then you will either need one 4 channel amp or two 2 channel amps with appropriate power. I was going to run active in my car with two PPI PC amps but got talked out of it and am just going to run passive with my Tru Tech T2.200.

Sub Stage - This is about as broad as broad can be. Tons of options here. Companies I personally recommend (many of which I have either owned or heard some of their subs) are: Sound Splinter, known most for their SQ. The RL-i is a beefy little sub and the RL-p brings it to a new level. The RL-s (my favorite sub I've heard/own) is a whole new beast. The SQ and low-end on this sub is unmatched by any sub I have heard. The down falls are single 3 ohm voice coil only because when they first made them, the LMT technology only allowed SVC 3 ohms and it requires a tone of space to properly run them. I'll be running my single 12" RL-s in a 3.5cuft sealed box. Another company is Fi. I owned the SSD series and loved it. The low end was good, the SQ was decent. Getting the copper coil instead of the flatwind coil would have been a better choice for SQ. The Fi Q is a sweet sub. I owned what has been called the brother of the Q in the Stereo Integrity Mag V3 (no longer in production). The Mag is absolutely sick. I had it in a 3.0cuft sealed box (was a 15") and it killed the low end. The "upper end" on it was lacking but it still was legit. I surprised many a people with this sub and everyone who heard it praised it. The Fi Q can be put in a small sealed box if space is a concern. Or, you could look into the Stereo Integrity Mag V4 which is a shallow mount sub and only needs about 1cuft of space for a sealed box with 600-1000rms. The Mag V3 which I owned had awesome SQ and from reviews I have read the Mag V4 takes the cake. It features xbl^2 technology which is present in many great low-end subs so you can almost guarantee that the V4 will have great low-end. Other companies you might want to take a look at are Digital Designs or Audioque (same warehouse). Both DD and AQ are more SPL-based than the other companies I have mentioned. I've heard 2 15" HDC3's off 1krms a piece and they got very loud. I want to say they metered a 145.x in a trunk. the SQ was eh on them but if you want to get loud, take a look at them. Again, many many options here in this category.

Sub Stage Amp - Well this one really depends on which route you go with your sub stage. I can't even say much other than run a Class D amp to the subs. You can run a Class A/B amp to the subs and some people swear they can tell a difference in running a Class D vs a Class A/B to subs, but that's a topic for another day. I suggest just keep it simple and run a Class D. (Don't try to run a Class D to your components lol)

Sound Deadening - IMO, Second Skin Audio owns all lol. I'll be using 110 sqft of Damp Pro in my car. From reviews I have read, it seems to be the best. You have other options in Hush Mat and Raamat as well. Research and find out which one is best for you.

Well this is my tidbit for you. Maybe it helped, maybe it didn't. Good luck. Got any questions, ask away. Don't rush into buying anything. Research once and then research again.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, I haven't heard of many of those brands, then again I quit the audio business a few years ago. I love how it seems many subwoofers are built from the same casts. Those Splinter Sound subs have the same baskets that both MTX and TC Sounds have used in years past. But it looks like one 12" wants a 3 cu ft box, deeaaamnn!
Old 05-28-2009, 02:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmm, I haven't heard of many of those brands, then again I quit the audio business a few years ago. I love how it seems many subwoofers are built from the same casts. Those Splinter Sound subs have the same baskets that both MTX and TC Sounds have used in years past. But it looks like one 12" wants a 3 cu ft box, deeaaamnn!
All those brands are top notch and highly regarded. The son of the owner of DD is the owner of Audioque so that explains why they are together. Yea, the RL-s requires a large sealed box. So long trunk space for me lol.