Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Car Computer Done

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Car Computer Done

Finally finished my car computer today in my 2006 Scion tC. I'm not one for flash, so the only way you would ever be able to tell I have anything in my car is by seeing the screen. With the tC center console cover down, you can't tell that anything is different about this car.

First step was replacing the foam inserts under the rear carpet with wood enclosures. I built up boxes to the exact shapes and sizes of the foam parts, sanded and painted. I use the far right box for the amp, and the insert in the spare tire for the computer. Black wooden covers go over each of those to add support to the trunk, and the carpet goes on. Past that, you can't tell that anything is there.

So the path of control for the computer goes like this:

I have a Matrix 10 alarm in my car, and the trunk release isn't used for this car. I use the trunk release output of the alarm to turn on the computer via a relay in the trunk. Boot time is about 15 seconds, so I can hit it while walking to my car, hop in, and it's ready. I originally had the screen turning on like this also, but the screen is not powered by the computer, so it can't stay on during ignition because of the voltage drops. Simple momentary push button solves this, and I like being able to turn the screen off and on when I want anyway.

Computer is a 1.4GHz AMD Geode with a Jetway mini-atx motherboard. 1gig of ram, GPS dongle, 100GB 3.5" hard drive, and best of all, Sound Blaster SB0350 sound card.

Here is where it gets sexy. kX drivers. Independently written sound card drivers that give you complete control over all aspects of your sound card. I do all of my audio processing and routing through these drivers. Crossovers and tweaking are all done here, and I'm able to assign each output port of the card for individual tweeters and woofers.

Front end software is called Centrafuse, which gives me access to my entire music library, videos, some mixer effects that I dont really mess with, GPS software (using iGuidance through Centrafuse), and all sorts of other nonsense.

Sound card outputs go directly to my Planet Audio P400.4 amp, which has all filters bypassed. Planet audio amp powers RE XXX mids and ID NX30 tweeters in the front doors.

Video output goes to a Lilliput 7" touchscreen mounted in the center console. The worst part of this entire project was making the screen look as stock as possible. I made a mounting bezel out of lexan, sanded and painted. In fact, I made about 10 before I got it right. I took other pieces of lexan, and mounted the electronics behind the screen. Screws go in from the sides of the center console, and the screen sits right where I want.

The whole project from planning to finish took about 6 months and cost probably too much, but I'm not exactly sure how much. Either way, I'm ecstatic at how much control I have.

Pictures coming soon...
Old 08-23-2007, 02:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

sweet!!! can't wait to see pics!
Old 08-23-2007, 04:12 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool stuff. can never go wrong with a car pc. beats any entertainment system around. Hurry up with the pics now, will ya, lol
Old 08-24-2007, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

sounds great...but ya know this is torture w/out the pics right?
Old 08-24-2007, 08:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by bembowe
Hurry up with the pics now, will ya, lol
x2.
Old 08-24-2007, 10:48 PM
SL Member

picsssss
Old 08-25-2007, 12:55 AM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Deffinetly want to see the pictures. I need to do a carpc project.
Old 09-01-2007, 07:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Sorry for the delay, here are some pictures!

Ok so here are the pictures I have for now. I'll add more of the back of the screen or inside the computer next time i have them apart.

Bam. The black mounting bezel was hell to make, and my basement is basically littered with pieces of lexan in that shape that I wasn't happy with.

Centrafuse in action.

The kX driver DSP routing table. Very basic, very simple. Audio comes in, do some EQing, send it through a 24db/octave crossover that splits the signal at 2.5kHz, and then straight to the outputs. Incredibly powerful and flexible.

Proof of the complete stock look. Little does anyone know what monsters lie in those doors....

My trunk space, looks normal enough.

Carpet cover off. Note the wooden supports where the foam pieces should be. Sorry for the blur...

The computer itself. Nothing pretty, but it doesn't need to be. Weatherstripping on all sides to give it some shock resistance. There is enough tension from the wires and the space I built it into that it's not going anywhere, but it has some give, and hasn't crashed on me once yet. Fitting the hard drive, power supply, and the sound card in there was an absolute feat. Next time I have it out I will definetely take pictures.

Computer feeding right into my 4 channel amp.

The amp in action. The whole setup bumps hard.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

great job and very professional - no signs of amateur business. That's the only way I'd want to add a carputer to the ride, How accurate has your gps been? And if possible next time you get a chance can we get some pics of that and video in action?
Old 09-01-2007, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

hmmmm. i want to put one in now. quick question. the comp has audio outputs that plugs right into the radio right? i want to add a comp straight to my deck.
Old 09-01-2007, 09:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Nice. I'm kicking around the idea of building a boxputer myself. i've got a ton of parts laying around that could easily build a system... I just need to find time and motivation at the same time to get it put together.
Old 09-02-2007, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Scion_Nole
great job and very professional - no signs of amateur business. That's the only way I'd want to add a carputer to the ride, How accurate has your gps been? And if possible next time you get a chance can we get some pics of that and video in action?

Wow that's one of the best compliments i've gotten yet. The main thing I still need to do is clean up wiring with some spiral wrap, add the dvd drive up front somewhere, and finish the USB ports.

As for tc-guy: The audio outputs from the sound card are run directly into my amplifier in the back. Since the signal run is so short, noise in that respect is extremely minimized. Its awesome.

GPS is extremely accurate. And i'll definetely get some video soon. What would you want to see?
Old 09-02-2007, 02:46 AM

dude, that is so sick, i would love to do that. could you suggest any links or resources for more details on what went into your system?

does that touchscreen do everything you need it to? so you dont need a keyboard and mouse?
Old 09-02-2007, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by punxworm
GPS is extremely accurate. And i'll definetely get some video soon. What would you want to see?
Oh man anything if you could...I've never really gotten to see pics of a carpc GPS in action or some stills of video.
Old 09-02-2007, 05:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by krunkologist
dude, that is so sick, i would love to do that. could you suggest any links or resources for more details on what went into your system?

does that touchscreen do everything you need it to? so you dont need a keyboard and mouse?
mp3car.com is a great resource. Google is always your friend, too, but one of the best resources is people on forums like this. If you need help, let me know.

The screen does absolutely everything I need.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

where did u get the touchscreen at. i want this to be my next project now.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tc-guy
where did u get the touchscreen at. i want this to be my next project now.
www.mp3car.com

I should really do a write up for modifying and attaching the screen to the center console
Old 09-03-2007, 12:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

kool. thanks for the link. very nice products. i will have to do this when my current h.u. takes a dump on me.
Old 09-03-2007, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Team Hamster
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by punxworm
I should really do a write up for modifying and attaching the screen to the center console
That would be sick man. I for one plan to do one this winter and would really appreciate the write up.

Seriously though, looks like you did an awesome job on it and we're all very impressed... And eagerly awaiting a video!! Lol.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

wow, that rocks man, im wanting to do the same. is the H/U capable to take the computer monitor signal or did u get it from the video card? is it a reg PC? or one specificly for a car pc? thanks looking good