Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

CarPuter LCD and Case Placement

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 10:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default CarPuter LCD and Case Placement

Alright - I just decided that I'm looking to install a CarPuter in my tC, but I've got some worries first. I want it to look stock and I don't want to have to chop things up to do it. Someone has a great custom fabbed piece to hold both a single DIN stereo plus an LCD, but if you just want to replace the stereo with the LCD, which LCDs fit best? I'd like to do as little fabbing as possible.

Secondly, what are options for placement of the computer itself? Under the passenger seat would be ok, but it sounds slightly destructive and very space limited. Are there any other options? I don't suppose there is anywhere in the trunk (around the spare) with enough space... Anyone?
Old 06-29-2006, 12:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my case fits fine.

as for a screen, you can get a xenarc 700 ts and it should fit in the same spot as the stock deck. are you planning on running a deck at all? how are you planning on running the speakers? this is the biggent dilema youll run into. there are a bunch of different ways to do it.

check out www.mp3car.com and youll get MANY answers using thier search button
Old 06-29-2006, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah - that's what i'm running into now. I'd like to have FM radio at least (don't care about AM so much) so I'd have to get somethign for the computer for that - what a pain. Then I'd still have to do something about the amp... double pain, but I don't know where I'd put a deck without a real custom setup.
Old 06-29-2006, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah which is why i decided to run a deck and make a custom dash. I never use am/fm anyway but honestly, youll have all your mp3s and you can even have XM or sirius (i have both, haha) so do you really think youll want fm?

You know there is a fairly easy option to run a deck and screen in your dash without making any custom and that would be a flip out touch screen. i know they sell them on the mp3car website. best of both worlds for the least amt of $$
Old 06-29-2006, 06:31 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I ran the screen in the dash behind the door, an aftermarket stereo in the glovebox, and my carputer (laptop based) in the trunk under a false floor (that I am currently working on). If you are custom building a pc, you can easily fit it in a number of places in the car. I'm rethinking the stereo in the glovebox, because when I do listen to the radio I either have to keep the glovebox open, or open it when I need to. I have a remote, but really need something with that is wired. I listen to the radio on my way to work in the mornings, and I haven't heard anything good about USB radio.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

right... If I had XM or something (which I don't and don't plan on having), I might be open to dropping FM, but the lack of easy and cheap FM (if not also AM) integration is a real drag.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did you look at the idea of using a single din flip out screen? that way you can have your deck right below it? (aftermarket deck of course)
Old 06-29-2006, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah - I've thought about that. That solves the custom fab problems, but then you might have fitment issues with the screen... I'm just not wild about that look either... it's clean but it screams aftermarket. I'd love to have that whole space filled with a double DIN sized screen.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah i have the xenarc 700 tsv. i bought the headrest bezel for it and used hinges to attach the whole thing to the top part of the stereo door thingy without having to open the LCD case or anything. sorry don't have pics as i took it all out since my old monitor blew and hdd went out. it should be in by this weekend hopefully.
Old 06-29-2006, 08:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you could post pictures of how it looks and/or how you did it, it would be great to compare.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

ill try to get some by this weekend
Old 07-08-2006, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I'd be interested in seeing it also...isn't the bottom of the 700tsv a bit big on the bottom to fit properly?