Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Changing sytem need help and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 04:23 AM
SL Member

Default Changing sytem need help and suggestions

I am looking for suggestions. I was looking at getting one jl 13w7 with a jl 100/1 class d. But I am open to other suggestions. I would like to go a cheaper route if possible but I am into good sound. What are some of the better setups out there? I have 2 pioneer 10s now in a custom sealed box and hate it. I also wouldnt mind something that takes up a little less room than what I got. One 12 would work too. I want something loud and something that sounds good and doesn't distort. I am also into nice warm bass, I dont like that punchy sounding bass if you know what I mean. Any help guys?
Old 01-29-2008, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What do you have about your old subs? the jl will sound nice but its kinda pricey you can get something just as good for a lil cheaper like this... http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=4909 or this http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=2131 an a good amp http://www.woofersetc.com/index.cfm?...roduct_ID=6057
Old 01-29-2008, 01:58 PM
SL Member

what I have now sounds punchy. It also isnt loud enough and distorts easily.
Old 01-29-2008, 03:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

what are you looking for? Loud? hit you in the back of head bass? sound good bass? lots of variables...
Old 01-29-2008, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just recently bought a Fi Q 12" sub and its one of the best subs I've ever owned. Geared more towards SQ but does get loud. I'm feeding it 900watts from an Elemental Designs nine.1 amp but it can handle 1000w. Sounds good and does not distort. Check out www.ficaraudio.com

From Audiojunkies.com: "For those of you that don?t know who Scott [Atwell] is, we will give him a brief introduction: Scott founded the company Resonant Engineering (RE) and designed all of their subwoofers. Scott has since moved on and now owns Fi Car Audio."
Old 01-29-2008, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Take a look at some of these:
Stereo Integrity Mag
Fi Q
Sound Splinter Rl-s
TC Sounds 3000 (will be hard to find new)

All of those will get loud and sound great at the same time.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yea sound splinter is good too!
Old 01-29-2008, 07:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

first off depends on what ya price range is I have had a lot of different subs and amps Ive had Rockford, JL Audio, MTX , AudiBahn, Pioneer, Kenwood, Lightning Audio (which i dont recommend) but overall the one thats stood out among them have been Alpine, Rockford, and JL. rite now i got an all Alpine set-up Alpine HU Alpine R speakers Alpine mono Class D amp and Alpine R sub (one 12) and it hits hard RMS is 500 (continous power) wich is what you want to look at when ur buying not peak cuz ya wont be runnin that anyways and mono amps rock!! 600 RMS for my amp. love my set up and remember since its a hatch its doesnt have to work as hard. JL 12w6 or 12w7 are so freakin ill though those things are beasts but also cost alot. Rockfords are good too but dont get any thing less than a P2 or P3 sub
Old 01-29-2008, 08:01 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

depends on if you are wanting spl, sq, little bass or alot, or things like that..... i know i went from 2 eclipse 8's to 1 compvr kickers and love em and they are low priced with amp
Old 01-29-2008, 08:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

CompVRs are nice loud subs but their SQ is lacking
Old 01-29-2008, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCeeJay
CompVRs are nice loud subs but their SQ is lacking
tune em a bit and they're good ;) im finding that out lol
Old 01-29-2008, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by tCeeJay
I just recently bought a Fi Q 12" sub and its one of the best subs I've ever owned. Geared more towards SQ but does get loud. I'm feeding it 900watts from an Elemental Designs nine.1 amp but it can handle 1000w. Sounds good and does not distort. Check out www.ficaraudio.com

From Audiojunkies.com: "For those of you that don?t know who Scott [Atwell] is, we will give him a brief introduction: Scott founded the company Resonant Engineering (RE) and designed all of their subwoofers. Scott has since moved on and now owns Fi Car Audio."
I agree with FI. I've ran the 15" BL in my car, nice little booger, got very loud but took tons of trunk space. I've personally heard the SSD and the Q, they all sound nice in their own category.
Old 01-29-2008, 09:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Originally Posted by shadow_shifter
Lightning Audio (which i dont recommend)
That's be cause they do suck, except for the STORM models since it used the TC sounds motors.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:05 PM
SL Member

I guess what I am really looking for is a little of both. I like loud bass but I like it to sound good too. I absolutely hate distortion. Im thinking I would like to spend about $500 between the sub and amp combo. I know if I go the Jl audio route it could be much more than that. But that is what I like.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

Get a single 12 and put it in a ported box.....
get a 12" FI Q, ported it to 32hz in a 2.0cuft box. Feed it 1k watts from a Alpine PDX1.1000, you will get LOUD and sound goooooooooood.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Changing sytem need help and suggestions

Originally Posted by jesterscourt
I am also into nice warm bass, I dont like that punchy sounding bass if you know what I mean.
No, not sure what you mean at all.

If you don't like "punchy" sounding bass, then you need to make sure you avoid all music that contains "punchy" sounding bass.

There's lots of different types of bass in music today, and a good subwoofer system should play it all the way it was meant to sound. The sub system shouldn't impart a sound of it's own, only reproduce what's intended.

If you want a sub system that doesn't sound "punchy" when playing a song that contains "punchy" bass, it's not going to be very accurate when trying to reproduce bass contained in different music.

Good luck!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:52 AM
SL Member

ok well maybe im not explaining what I mean correctly. I used to have a 15" eclipse being powered by 500/1 amp and on the same songs playing off the same cds the bass sounds what I describe as punchy on my new setup. It sounds like the bass is hitting the bass drum more than hitting the warm bass tones. Now I know that is in part to the fact that the eclipse was a 15" speaker and I am now running 2 10"s but I'm sure there is a way to get the tones I want without sacrifices volume at the same time out of a smaller speaker. I would like to stay away from a ported box as well if posible. I am also trying to conserve room on this new setup.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Changing sytem need help and suggestions

Originally Posted by nodsetse
I am also into nice warm bass, I dont like that punchy sounding bass if you know what I mean.
No, not sure what you mean at all.

If you don't like "punchy" sounding bass, then you need to make sure you avoid all music that contains "punchy" sounding bass.

There's lots of different types of bass in music today, and a good subwoofer system should play it all the way it was meant to sound. The sub system shouldn't impart a sound of it's own, only reproduce what's intended.

If you want a sub system that doesn't sound "punchy" when playing a song that contains "punchy" bass, it's not going to be very accurate when trying to reproduce bass contained in different music.

Good luck!
good way of putting it!
Old 01-30-2008, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ok well maybe im not explaining what I mean correctly. I used to have a 15" eclipse being powered by 500/1 amp and on the same songs playing off the same cds the bass sounds what I describe as punchy on my new setup. It sounds like the bass is hitting the bass drum more than hitting the warm bass tones. Now I know that is in part to the fact that the eclipse was a 15" speaker and I am now running 2 10"s but I'm sure there is a way to get the tones I want without sacrifices volume at the same time out of a smaller speaker. I would like to stay away from a ported box as well if posible. I am also trying to conserve room on this new setup.
a sealed box is most likely the cause of that. sealed boxes usually lack output down low. ported as long as it's tuned lower(below 35 or so hz) will help the bottom end come alive.

it actually has very little to do with the actual size of the cone. a 10 of the same model shouldn't sound punchier or tighter than the same 15.

also you can use a ported box and still have a good 2/3 of your trunk left. all depends on the sub's required airspace. my 10 asks for .7 cubic foot after displacement of the sub and port. thats pretty tiny.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:34 AM
SL Member

well I am now leaning towards a 12" speaker. What sub are you using tcguy and with what amp? What are some brands of 12" sub set ups I can look at. I dont understand the tuning of a ported box? How do you go about doing that if I do wanna go ported. I guess I should also mention I was planning on building my own enclosure.

Quick Reply: Changing sytem need help and suggestions