Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Changing sytem need help and suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jesterscourt
well I am now leaning towards a 12" speaker. What sub are you using tcguy and with what amp? What are some brands of 12" sub set ups I can look at. I dont understand the tuning of a ported box? How do you go about doing that if I do wanna go ported. I guess I should also mention I was planning on building my own enclosure.
why so set on a 12? not that a 12 is bad or limits your choices or anything. there are plenty of good 12's.

i am using a Dayton Reference HO 10 in .7cuft net tuned to 30hz. it's being powered by a Kicker ZX750.1 at 4 ohms, so i have about 400 watts rms available for it. doesn't sound like much, but trust me it gets plenty loud and low while sounding very very accurate. it'll play any type of music very very well. it'll sound punchy and tight when it should but still play low and drag a note out when it should as well. i have never heard such and accurate sounding driver. it's by far my favorite sub to date.

honestly though it's hard to recommend a sub to somebody(at least for me). there are so many good subs out there.

also, designing and building a ported box isn't a hard task you just need to understand how a ported box works and how to tune it. a lot of things have to be taken into account if you wanna do it correctly. honestly after trying ported, i will not go back to sealed, whether it be in a car or for HT.
Old 01-30-2008, 12:52 PM
SL Member

where can I get educated on building and tuning a ported box?
Old 01-30-2008, 12:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bcae1.com is not a bad place to start
Old 01-30-2008, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where can I get educated on building and tuning a ported box?
I'm also in the process of building a ported box. Here are some places I've visited other than bcae1.com:
http://www.carstereo.com/help/?car-s...iring-kit-help
http://www.audioque.com/aq/portSize.htm
http://www.reaudio.com/speaker_box/LPort_Box_Calc.html <-- Gives you a cutlist too!
http://subwoofertools.com/forum/ported-box.asp <-- also, gives you a cutlist
http://www.realmofexcursion.com/forum.html <-- good link for constructing your box
Old 01-31-2008, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I would like to stay away from a ported box as well if posible. I am also trying to conserve room on this new setup.
You'll be fine with a sealed system, no need to go ported if you don't want to. Lots of people have won SQ competitions using sealed systems, so they can certainly get low and have a flat response when implemented appropriately.

I suspect your issues with previous sealed systems were likely a result of driver to enclosure mismatches, and possibly also attributable to a lack of tuning (eq), as required to reduce midbass ("punchy") peaks which are higher in amplitude than the low frequencies due to the car's resonant frequency.

If you get the right sub and place it in a sealed enclosure of the appropriate internal volume, you'll get the performance you're seeking. You can also go ported and get great results like some here are suggesting, but that alone won't solve the issue. A person could still get the same result using a ported design, it simply depends on the entire system (sub, enclosure, processing, tuning and the vehicle itself).
Old 01-31-2008, 01:16 PM
SL Member

thanks guys great info. Next up I want to learn how to properly tune my system. Where can I learn to do that?
Old 01-31-2008, 11:17 PM
SL Member

how do people feel about alpine type r's?
Old 02-01-2008, 12:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

they get loud.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:10 AM
SL Member

do they sound good when they get loud?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i heard they can, but most say if you're looking for SQ to look elsewhere.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The type-r is a good and popular sub. I got it because it got really good reviews and not to mention I work for best buy so I get an employee discount lol...
Old 02-02-2008, 12:53 AM
SL Member

thanks for all the responses guys. Im still debating on what to buy. I am so stuck between so many things. I apretiate all the help. If anyone has any more suggestions on anything let me know. I'll keep you guys posted on everything once I figure it all out and start the build.
Old 02-02-2008, 01:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

where in NY are you? is that your car in your avatar?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:01 PM
SL Member

no I wish it was mine lol. Found it in a google image search. Anyway I live in kingston ny.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no I wish it was mine lol. Found it in a google image search. Anyway I live in kingston ny.
cool. i live in hyde park. if you ever need help with any car audio i'd be willing to help you out. or if you maybe wanna check out my system(maybe you'll like what you hear and maybe want the same kinda setup). maybe it'll help you decide what you want.
Old 02-03-2008, 06:52 AM
SL Member

awesome yeah I would defenitly wanna check it out. I play out in hyde park from time to time at the hyde park brewery. Maybe next time I have a gig there we can meet up.
Old 02-03-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool, shoot me a pm or something sometime, and we'll try and meet up.
Old 02-04-2008, 04:11 AM
SL Member

will do. I've been looking for other tc owners near me. Thats awesome I found you, you are really close. Do you go to the CIA, or do you just live there?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've been looking for other tc owners near me.
That's exactly what you need to do, in order to solve your bass issue. Listen to the systems of other tC owners (along with other small hatchbacks), and find one that produces bass that sounds like what you're looking for, when listening to songs you're familiar with. When you find one that doesn't have that "punchy" sound which you don't like, doesn't take up more space than you want to give up, and fits your budget, then you've found a solution that you know will work for you in your car. This way you'd also know exactly how much airspace is required and whether it's sealed or ported, just replicate what they did and enjoy your "non-punchy" bass.

There's really no point in guessing whether a type-r, dayton or other sub might be best for you, because you'll only know for certain by listening to it in the same or a very similar car.
Old 02-12-2008, 01:02 PM
SL Member

ok guys I wound up buying a JL 13w7. Now I need to buy an amp. What are some different amps I can run? I know the JL 1000/1 is a no brainer but are there any other brands out there I can run with this sub that would be a little cheaper? If possible I would love to get one under $250.

Quick Reply: Changing sytem need help and suggestions