Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Crackling in Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Crackling in Speakers

Strange issue I'm having with my audio system the last couple weeks... When I have my wheel cranked to the left, I hear an occasional crackling sound through my speakers. It seems to happen most often when I'm accelerating through a turn, but that might just be because I'm always cornering hard :p

At any rate, it only happens when the wheel is cranked left, and not right. Any reason this could be? Should I just try another grounding location? Right now my amp is grounded to the baby seat thingie bolt in the hatch. I'm sure someone will tell me it's the ground, but it seems strange to me that the noise is only heard when the wheel is turned one direction.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

loose speaker wire,did you solder the wires to the speaker terminals,if not it probably is shorting as you go in tothe corner.......and slow down.......we don't want to have another I just killed my tC thread.
Old 04-02-2009, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The connections are solderless. I had heard that soldering speaker connections could bad idea since the solder can introduce noise to the system, dunno if there is any truth to that or not. I can go back and check the connections to the crossovers and then to the speakers though, that sounds like it could be a possibility. Thanks for the idea.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Y'know, it's weird. My supercharger interferes with my speakers.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Originally Posted by kiss_kiss_kill
Y'know, it's weird. My supercharger interferes with my speakers.
get louder speakers.........lol........sorry you know I had too.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, the issue no longer exists. The supercharger's sitting in a box in my garage, waiting for someone to come buy it, lol.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rcf22
The connections are solderless. I had heard that soldering speaker connections could bad idea since the solder can introduce noise to the system, dunno if there is any truth to that or not. I can go back and check the connections to the crossovers and then to the speakers though, that sounds like it could be a possibility. Thanks for the idea.
A good solder connection won't induce noise into the system. The downside to soldering (besides more time & effort) is the potential to damage the speaker, due to overheating the voice coil. The possibility of it happening depends on the type of speaker, but you should always use a heatsink (like a set of hemostats in this case) clamped to the leads between the terminal and vc, to absorb a lot of the heat so it doesn't overheat the vc.

Nothing wrong with solderless connections when done right, but it sounds like one of yours may be marginal.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:36 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by kiss_kiss_kill
Well, the issue no longer exists. The supercharger's sitting in a box in my garage, waiting for someone to come buy it, lol.
Well there could've been a few different reasons for that with the s/c on....but why did you decide to take it off? Didn't you spend a lot of time polishing the housing to a mirrored shine?
Old 04-06-2009, 12:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sounds like something is definitely loose somewhere. I would check all of your power and ground connections, especially if you're using distribution blocks. Check all the amp terminals as well as your RCAs on the head unit. Also, as long as you're not cold soldering your connections, soldering your speaker wire to mids and tweeters is pretty much the way to go. I've never had a problem going this route, either with sound degradation or intermittent output. Hope you're able to find the source of your problem.