Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

deadening...

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:06 PM

Default deadening...

is it really worth it? i'm about to pull the trigger on an wallet draining order of butyl-aluminum tiles, and possibly some mass loaded vinyl and closed cell foam as well, but i was just thinking, just how much will it improve overall sound from my system? how about cabin quietness?

anyone here regret deadening? or maybe wish they had done less?

there are some squeaks i'd like to kill that emanate from the hatch when im driving - that would be nice i guess. i just don't want to do more than i need. i dont care about diminished returns.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If you don't want to do more than you need, take it one step at a time. secondskinaudio.com, and get a bulk pack of Damplifier pro. If you still want more quiet, you can look through their products and see what your next step will be. But down deadening is definitely worth it, its the extent of the quiteness that you want that justifies the cost.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Try here too, they also make a very good product... also has good info about using the CLD tiles (I'm currently using them and I'll never use any other product)

http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
Old 02-15-2011, 10:59 PM

Coincidentally, those are the two brands I've been juggling around - with the SDS CLD Tiles costing $5.40/sqft, and the SS Damp Pro costing $4.38/sqft when purchasing 36.5sqft. At this price for the quantity, both are already about $200, and with shipping, the cost is prohibitive because of their weight. I cannot justify spending nearly $50 on S/H for anything (unless it was a heart or liver) with my budget.

So I was thinking of maybe just going with 20 sqft of regular damplifier, or a gallon of spectrum and seeing how that goes...eh. I dunno.

Last edited by ReticulatingPigeonElf; 02-15-2011 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-15-2011, 11:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

the thing with CLD tiles is you don't need 100% coverage. Are you on DIYMA.com by chance? If not, I would reccomend joining and reading, there is a wealth of knowledge on that site...