Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Deck and Component suggestions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2008, 02:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Deck and Component suggestions...

Hi guys,
As of July 1st, in California, we have a new law taking effect, which requires California drivers to use a "hands free" device while talking on the phone. I've heard mixed reviews about those rather strange looking ear pieces, so I figured that a new deck/head unit would be the best route to go.

On a side note, I can get employee pricing through a friend at Bestbuy, so I'll limit my selection to these 3 models:

JVC KDAVX44
Kenwood DDX512
Pioneer FH-P8000BT

Does anyone have any experience with these units? Which sounds better? How's the signal processing? How intuitive are the controls? How well does it handle iPod integration? How well does it handle blue-tooth integration with your phone?

I already own an Arc Audio 2050xxk, which I'll run to a set of components in the front. Component-wise, I'm interested in Image Dynamics, CDT, DLS, or Focal... ALL in their lower-end series, ie: Ebay price of $100-200 max. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!
Old 06-26-2008, 01:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

bump... anyone???

How about some advice on the components if no one has experience with any of the above listed decks? I found these: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+TS-D720C.html. There's a review in caraudio mag on pioneer's website that raves about them. Would these be my best bang for the buck?
Old 06-26-2008, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I have the kenwood ddx512 it is a good receiveroverall but i wished it had more features, Like a video/audio input cause i have a zune and not an i-pod.
I have not tried the bluetooth on it yet so i'm not much help with that, but it has either a USB or audio/video inputs for the i-pod.
Only has front and rear rca outputs so if you run a 4 chanel amp you will lose the sub output (it uses the rear for the sub)
Old 06-26-2008, 03:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thelandon
bump... anyone???

How about some advice on the components if no one has experience with any of the above listed decks? I found these: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...+TS-D720C.html. There's a review in caraudio mag on pioneer's website that raves about them. Would these be my best bang for the buck?
The 720C's are actually good speakers for that price. The 720PRS's are regarded a bit higher and are the more commonly used or the two. However, for the $99 it would cost you, the C's would be a good idea to at least try out. Another great bang for your buck component set is the Phoenix Gold RSD65cs. I run them and love them

RSD's: http://cgi.ebay.com/PHOENIX-GOLD-6-5...QQcmdZViewItem

$87 to your door. DEFINITELY worth the cost. Comparable to several $200+ sets. Search around the net for reviews.
Old 06-26-2008, 03:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks! I've listened to some components, mostly in the $300 range at a local audio shop. I wasn't impressed with any of them, ie: JL Audio, Arc Audio. However, they had a set of $500 Focals which I loved!

Knowing the price range I should be shooting for the achieve the sound I like, I paid close attention to the reviews of various components, including the Rsd's. I agree that I should probably be looking more closely @ the PRS series. However, there are some really good buys to be had on DLS on Ebay. Isn't Nebster the local expert on DLS? In specific, which series (RS6A, R6A, or MS6A) would give me a sound closest to a $500 retail set of Focals?
Old 06-26-2008, 06:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by thelandon
Thanks! I've listened to some components, mostly in the $300 range at a local audio shop. I wasn't impressed with any of them, ie: JL Audio, Arc Audio. However, they had a set of $500 Focals which I loved!

Knowing the price range I should be shooting for the achieve the sound I like, I paid close attention to the reviews of various components, including the Rsd's. I agree that I should probably be looking more closely @ the PRS series. However, there are some really good buys to be had on DLS on Ebay. Isn't Nebster the local expert on DLS? In specific, which series (RS6A, R6A, or MS6A) would give me a sound closest to a $500 retail set of Focals?
Be careful of DLS and Dynaudio products on Ebay. They might be good and authentic, but there have been counterfeit Dyn's on ebay for a while. Make sure the buyer is good.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

If not Ebay, who is a reputable and reasonably priced online retailer for DLS? Trying not to exceed $200 for the components...

Thanks!