Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Eclipse HU

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Eclipse HU

Well, Im upgrading my stereo again and Ive been looking at the Eclipse HU's.

What are your thoughts/reviews about their HU's?

They seem to be really good considering their 3000 HU has 5v per-outs (and only $250) compared to my Pioneer 2v. Would having a higher volage really make that much of a difference?

Im looking for your opinions, or recommendations for other HU's.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

now your talking my language.

I've been using eclipse products now for oh, i don't know, maybe 10 yrs? I love their HU's and Amps. I am extreamly picky about my car audio and with me it's all about SOUND QUALITY. With that said.........I don't really care for the 06 Eclipse line of products. That opinion is purely on looks. I've not messed around with any of the decks. I'm sure from a musical perspective they will perform like always.

My advice, and you can take this for what it's worth, look for an 05 model. I have the 8455 8volt out, auto Eq and sony MS compatable. Plus, you can still use your steering wheel audio controls if you have them. The model down from that is 8445 which is almost identical minus the auto Eq, and a couple advanced tuning options.
I would say you could get either one of those models for close to the 06's your looking at.

I'm not sure what your budget is, that would help with more input from the others. The only other HU i would recommend would be Kenwood.........Excelon series. I had the 889 last year and it was impressive. The tuning features were awsome, 5volt out, cool display ( if that's important ) sound quality for days. When i got my new Tc last December I sold the Kenwood and went back to Eclipse. It looks stock in the tc and fujitsu ten is owned by Toyota so the fit is going to be perfect.

As i've stated above, i'm all about the SQ...... I've tried just about everything on the market. Clarion, alpine, kenwood, pioneeer, sony and i always end up going back to Eclipse. Check out Ebay for one of the models i mentioned. they can be had for a good price, or, check with a dealer in your area and see if they have any 05 leftovers. If you tell me how much you want to spend, i'll check with MY dealer and see what he's got.

I do know that Eclipse has made some changes both with their product line and warranty policy. That was the BIGGEST reason i got into Eclipse way back when. I don't think Eclipse is doing the 3 year dealer installed warranty or the 1 year theft replacement. At least that's the info i got from my dealer when he got back from CES.
If you have any questions i'll be happy to provide any help i can. Like i said, i've used Eclipse for a long time and they have never let me down........ever.

good luck and let us know what you come up with.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well my budget is from $1-500.

I hear you about the 06 models being a possible question mark. Me and my roommate always joke that whenever Circuit City or Best Buy get their hands on a high-end brand, the quality always goes down. He just bought a $1000 Denon receiver and he's ____ed that they sell Denon at CC now. LOL...

But I'll look into the 05 models. Im about SQ myself and I feel that theres always something better than what I have and I want to keep on experiencing that rush when the music starts and your just amazed at what it sounds like.

keep the recommendations/ reviews coming. I really want to step up the SQ with a better HU than what I have now.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:46 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

What kind of features are you looking for? I mean, do you want total control over all tuning? Do you listen to MP3? Do you want SAT radio? are you planning on running amps? does deck power matter?

With that price range i'm positive you could pick up either an Eclipse or Kenwood ( remember, Excellon )

in fact, just look at the bay and found this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ECLIPSE-CD-8445-...QQcmdZViewItem

in fact thee are 3 or 4 in that price range. Very good prices.
Check out the kenwood KDC-X889 ( last years model ) or the X890, new for 06. you can get an 889 for right around 200 on the bay.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im looking for total control.

I guess my initial stereo was made with the preconceived notions that you had to get something "name brand" to get a good system (the n00b mentality). At this point, having learned ALOT about car audio, I really want to get into SQ, which means finding some high-end stuff to satisfy my needs that maybe not alot of people know or heard. Im also learning to fiberglass so I can make some nice fB speaker boxs in doors for better imaging.

*SAT radio not so much, but Im feeling the GPS feature that shows arrows and mini-map
*I listen to MP3's
*I have 2 amps right now but will eventually upgrade to better ones

At $300 though, that 05 model looks sick with 8v pre's. I just need to sell my HU that I have right now and will prob jump on that one ASAP.

Thanks for your help!
Old 04-10-2006, 01:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

not a problem. Glad i could help. You will not be dissapointed with the Eclipse. The area shot feature is way cool. I use it quite a bit when i'm on the road. it's not "ture" GPS but it does serve it's purpose.
Since you're into MP3 I wouldn't recommend going any older if you go the Eclipse route. They implemented it in their top of the line 04 model and it was weak compared to other manufactures. They got it right with the 05 models. The encoder they used this time around is very nice, very warm sounding.
If you your looking to sell you old HU you might try sounddomain.com or elitecaraudio.com those are two big car audio forums with nice for sale section. Hell, you might even be able to find a good deal on an Eclipse there also.
Let me know what you end up with. I'm always happy to talk car audio with a fellow enthusiast.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i picked up the Eclipse 8445 a few days ago. Man, it truely is night and day coming from stock. I was gonna get the 8455 but the audio shop ran out, and had plenty of 8445's left in stock. I scored one for 300 out the door, Ebay is a good place to get one too like Tcjake pointed out. Good luck on a purchase

btw, Tcjake, where did you get the GPS 105? I'm looking for one right now. And since you have it, how about a run down on how area shot compares to say the normal gps standalones. Thanks man
Old 04-10-2006, 12:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Eclipse is the best. 8445 in my truck, AVN-5435 in the tC, I love them both, but tcjake is right, 06 is all about looks. They've added more colors to the screens, they've started using brushed aluminum more, and now they are coming with detachable faces, something Eclipse DOES NOT NEED but they are putting on them to appease the people who stand 100% behind detachable "call the manufacturer and order the $50 faceplate and then sell the whole thing for $250" plates.

Try to get an 05 model. Those were pure function over form.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:00 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

8443...Even better on the function over form scale

Other than absolutely no GPS....but the '04 models are the last ones I enjoyed.