Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

electrical experts: help modding oem fogs to parking lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2005, 07:17 PM
5 Year Member

thanks, ! i just bought some orange wedge bulbs. i've gone through so many different ones. .. blue leds, white, yellow but i peronsally like the orange ones the best, it goes with the signals.

heres with my toyota / lexus HID.

Old 07-14-2005, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm not sure if it'll work on this relay, but on my Probe, I was able to turn my fogs on or off when either the parking lights or driving lights were on simply but cutting a piece of plastic and sticking it inside the relay, preventing the contacts from ever closing. Worked perfectly. It took longer to get at the relay than it did to actually modify it!
Old 08-24-2005, 09:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

is there a way for this particular mod to work on an xB?
Old 08-25-2005, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

ummm anyone? I searched thru other posts already, and I've only found this thread to get the fog relay modded on the tC. so TTT and all that for some heeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelp!
Old 08-28-2005, 05:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by starrwulfe
is there a way for this particular mod to work on an xB?
hi starrwulfe. here are the instructions for the xb: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4569
Old 08-29-2005, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

thanx for the link... I dont know why the search never pulled that up...
Old 09-07-2005, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So can I just double check.

This final solution uses the pre wired harness that is behind teh bumper (any tips on how to find this, is it obvious?)

But you just splice in the parking lights power to the relay?
Old 09-07-2005, 10:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

^^Just take off the front bumper knockouts if you dont have fogs, and you'll see some wires with connectors on the end taped up. I have the installation instructions to my fogs at home. I'm thinking I can just use the parking lamps to splice to the relay instead of wherever it goes now. Im going to investigate more thoughly this weekend when I install my driving lamps.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scinergy

^^^ thats not quite what I was looking for... I am needing to know where the factory fog relay plugs in so I can just use that connection and route it over into my parking lamps or accessory...

This is what I needed...

http://www.toyotaparts4u.com/installation_manuals.htm
Old 11-21-2005, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Ha hey guys im having a small prob the relay i found w the gray wire, when i tapped it and connected the parking lights to it when i turned on my running lights it brought up both head lamps and fog lights any ideas?
Old 11-21-2005, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Limey
So can I just double check.

This final solution uses the pre wired harness that is behind teh bumper (any tips on how to find this, is it obvious?)

But you just splice in the parking lights power to the relay?
Wow, what's going on here, I could have swarn I didn't type this post on Sept 7th. I had my fogs wired up way before then, I'm sure.

Very Twlight'esque.
Old 12-08-2005, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

there is a connector to the fog switch that has Dash Illumination power to it.

it is on the white connector (in the fog light harness behind the panel)

i just cut the gray wire, and tied it to that light green wire.

you have to do this on the connector side with the MALE connector, or else you will tie the headlights to the illumination.

so it will be the MALE plug (goes inside the other plastic plug)

i've got a pic, if someone wants to post it up.
guess i don't have enough posts to put up pics
Old 12-08-2005, 09:44 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

send me an e-mail, and i will send you a pic.

if you pop off the fuse panel, reach behind and push out the fog lite panel,

you will see the white connector that goes to the fog switch.

take it apart, pull the male end out,

cut the gray wire, and hook the gray wire from the connector to the green wire on the same connecotr.

please post this up in that link after you do it, so it will be clearer for other guys.
Old 12-28-2005, 02:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by icdedppl

ok, now to the fog lights. first pic is of my car with the just the parking lights on. the fog light switch still works:

now, to do this yourself, follow these steps:
1. remove the little kick plate here:

2. if you've installed the fog lights yourself, you should know where the relay is, if you haven't, the relay should be clipped into the integrated relay on the left:

3. once you find the relay, pull it out and you will see a gray wire that goes to the wiring harness of the car. this wire is ran all the way to your front right low beam headlight and this powers the relay. now, clip that gray wire. you are going to tap it to the parking lights which is very easy to find. as you look at the integrated relay, you will see two large connectors on the upper left. the 2nd one is the one you want. wires 15 & 33 are the front two parking light wires and they are both brown in color. i tapped #15 as it was easier to get to. for reference, the wires look like this:
14 32
15 33
16 34
wire 14 is yellow. wire 16 is red. wire 34 is black.

4. now take your gray wire and tap it to one of the brown wires. here is a pic of mine:
OK TIME TO BRING THIS BACK!!!

i tried this today. i tapped into one of the brown wires thats shown in the pics you provided BUT and a big BUT lol htere are 3 brown wires side by side. i tapped into all three lol still none got the job done.

now i think i might have messed up on this part. i didnt completely understand how i would be able to do this by cutting the grey wire so i found a spare speaker wire that wasnt getting used to tap into both the grey and the brown. ALSO i dont know if its a big deal but hte size of the wire isnt the same and when i tapped into the brown wire that is shown in the pic when i went to the first click to try it out my lows/accent/and fogs came on again lol now i also have kind of big hands and this was really hard for me to do and it took me a good hour to get absolutly NO WHERE LOL if anyone could help me out here i will be your best friend haha thank in advance.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

The brown wire you want should show 12-14V when the headlight switch is in the parking light position. Use a meter to test the wires. One is always hot, and another is only hot when the switch is on. That is the brown wire you want.

My question is...is that wire not hot even with the high beams on? So in that case the fogs won't turn off with the high beams will they? Or is there another wire in the fog circuit that will turn them off when High beams are turned on??

But yeah...you cannot do electrical work without a multimeter...it is not safe and you will mess things up every time.
Old 01-04-2006, 04:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dave, the gray wire runs from the relay (little black square thing that is clipped the integrated relay box on the left (as in picture two above)) to the wiring harness. cut the wire at the wiring harness so that it's still attached to the relay. then take that wire and tap it into either of the brown wires as described above. either one should work. you might find more than one brown wire, but the two parking light wires are next/parallel to each other. i tapped the brown wire JUST above the red wire. hope that helps you.

and PghtC, if all you do is tap the gray wire from the relay to the parking lights, the fog lights will turn off when you turn the brights on. if you want them to come on with the parking lights and stay on ALL the time even if the brights are on, you need to ground one other wire. it's the wire that comes from the fog light switch. it's blue and runs to the white wiring harness and then it goes up to the combination switch/headlight control switch on the steering console. clip the blue wire that comes from the stock fog light switch at the wiring harness. ground this to anywhere you can find a spot and now your fog lights will stay on even with the brights being on.

and yes, even with this setup, all lights will still turn off automatically if you leave them on accidentally.
Old 01-05-2006, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I actually did it tonight and answered my question. I probed...heh heh...I probed the other wires at the relay and realized that there is a pink wire that cuts out the relay when the brights are on, so that is what disables them when the high beams are on. So I just switchced the brown feed for the gray and viola.

All is well. It is illegal in PA to have fogs on with the high beams, so I won't be doing that one.
Old 01-16-2006, 02:10 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are thoes baby blue things conected to the wieres?
are thoes slicers? where do u get them?
thanks
Old 01-16-2006, 02:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hm_crespo
what are thoes baby blue things conected to the wieres?
are thoes slicers? where do u get them?
thanks
the connectors i bought were from wal-mart. they're called "quick connects" by 3M. you should be able to find these at any auto parts store or wal-mart/target/etc.
Old 03-16-2006, 08:00 AM
5 Year Member

Default Question about the fog light mod...

Im not too good with the wiring thing but where exactly is the grey wire I need to splice into. Can I please get a clear picture? And am I simply just running a wire from the grey to the brown? And can I still turn the fog lights off when desired when running the parking lights? Also do you know how to fix it to where the fogs stay on when the high beams are on? Thanks guys. Your help is much appreciated!

Benji

Quick Reply: electrical experts: help modding oem fogs to parking lights