Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

electrical experts: help modding oem fogs to parking lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 07:09 PM

I Did this with the VRD fog lights, it is working perfect!!
Old 02-22-2007, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awesome thread... i've installed angel eyes which turn on with the parking lights and now i want my fog lights to go on as well with the parking lights. So this thread is just what i was looking for.

Now. I want to get a few things clear. Correct me if i'm wrong please.

1) The fog lights turn on when the parking lights are turned on.

2) The fog lights STAY on when turning on the low beam headlights.

3) The fog lights turn OFF automatically like the parking lights.

4) The fog lights DO NOT flash when locking and unlocking your car (i dont have scion security. just keyless entry)

I know this thread has been beeten to death already. But i'm very excited about doing this mod but any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Greg
Old 02-24-2007, 02:05 AM

Default ooops!!

Okay, I just did this mod to my friend's tC, (I don't have one, but I'm posting here for him), and I think I blew a fuse...

I used 2 T-Taps, one on the gray wire (didn't cut it at all), and one on the brown wire, connected by a random purple wire (my own)... When I turned on his lights, they flashed, and then went dead.. After that, I snipped the gray wire after the T-Tap, so that the gray wire connected directly to the brown one, but the parking lights (front and back) don't work. His low beams turn on, but no fogs either. Also, his turn signals work and brake lights work.

When he unlocks his car, his fogs flash (he has an aftermarket alarm), so, needless to say, we're stumped.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

drive out to the Bx and ill help yall out. i got a fuse or 2 also.

i got a good 2 hours to spare.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

Originally Posted by Greg2385
Awesome thread... i've installed angel eyes which turn on with the parking lights and now i want my fog lights to go on as well with the parking lights. So this thread is just what i was looking for.

4) The fog lights DO NOT flash when locking and unlocking your car (i dont have scion security. just keyless entry)

I know this thread has been beeten to death already. But i'm very excited about doing this mod but any feedback is appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Greg
greg. the fog lights get the power from the parking lights.

U have an OEM button.

W/ the OEM button set to the OFF position. ur fogs wont turn on @ all because ur button is still off.

W/ the button ON. ANYTIME ur parking lights turn on blink dance or jiggle ur fog lights will do the same.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:05 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol okay... thanks for clearing that up.

I defintely wanna try this out this weekend.
Old 02-24-2007, 03:31 AM

papispico, you're saying that it's definitely his parking light fuse?
Old 02-24-2007, 03:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

well. if his parking lights dont turn on @ all. id venture to say theres an issue there? wouldnt u just naturally check that fuse to see if its blown?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I NEED SOME WIRING HELP ASAP!

I followed all the directions.

I got 2 vampire clips and i tapped one into the grey wire and one into the brown wire. I connected the vampire clips with a random power wire i had laying around.

There were 3 brown wires so i tried all 3 but none of them did the trick.

I also tried tapping into the lime color wire as someone suggested.

The only thing that i did not do exactly according to the directions is that i did not remove that black relay to get to the grey wire. There were some wires coming out from behind the relay, the grey was one of them, so i just tapped into that.

When i tapped into 2 of the 3 brown wires; When I turn on the parking lights.. the fogs AND low beams were on at the same time.

When i tapped into the other brown wire the fogs and low beams were on EVEN THO my switch was OFF!

any help is appreciated.

thanks in advance

Greg
Old 03-02-2007, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anybody?
Old 04-02-2007, 04:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeaa dude same here... I tapped into the brown wire right above the red wire and when I switched it to the parking lights position, my low beams AND my fogs were on.. And when I switched it to the low beams position, it did the same thing but the lowbeams got a little brighter for some reason.

Can anyone explain this??

I don't have the Scion Alarm but some aftermarket one called KARR alarm and
the cool thing was that when I lock my car, my fogs didn't blink.. But the sucky thing was my lowbeams and parking lights blink.
Old 04-03-2007, 10:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

dude i just did this mod and it is an awesome mod!!! you have to tap the grey wire coming OFF the relay.. found that out lol but thanks to who wrote and contributed to this you guys rock!!!
Old 04-12-2007, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

is anyway to make fogs to be completely separate? You turn them when you when, how you want ... u get the point
Old 06-03-2007, 01:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Papispico
Originally Posted by Greg2385

Thank you in advance.

Greg
greg. the fog lights get the power from the parking lights.

U have an OEM button.

W/ the OEM button set to the OFF position. ur fogs wont turn on @ all because ur button is still off.

W/ the button ON. ANYTIME ur parking lights turn on blink dance or jiggle ur fog lights will do the same.

i dont know if its true for the oem fogs but i just got my VRD fogs and 10000k hids in them and the cool part is that when you turn on your high beam, the fogs cut off just like they're supposed to... now if you have hids like me that might not be a good thing because if you flash someone twice you're turning the hids on and off twice... and constant on/off of the hids harm them a tad bit.
Old 06-12-2007, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by icdedppl

4. now take your gray wire and tap it to one of the brown wires. here is a pic of mine:
*edit, problem solved. Thanx for the great write up!
Old 06-23-2007, 06:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I am pretty good with electronic installs and repairs yet this has been a very confusing topic. I have having trouble pullin the entire relay switch out (fuse comes out easily). The grey wire from that, runs from the switch to the front of the panel or through the firewall? Where do I snip that wire? Do i snip the the brown wire? How do I run these together? Maybe this is just too easy and I am making it more complex than it really is.
Old 06-23-2007, 07:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ignore my stupid questions above...Do you have to pull the relay out or can you cut it at the male connector? You obviously have to cut the brown wire to interconnect the grey with the brown, is like a T connection?
Old 06-23-2007, 08:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

wow, thanks guys, took all of 2 minutes. very nice!
Old 06-23-2007, 10:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Check this!!!

kapez.info/sp2/

HaHaHa))
Old 06-23-2007, 10:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just finished and it took a little longer than described earlier. Although, it is an easy modification yet it takes the hands of surgeon and a little man. I was making the mod a little more difficult as it set out to be. Cool mod and well refined research ICDEDPPL!

Here are a little more detailed instructions to help out the pictures:

1.) Once you gain access to the fuse box. Find the relay switch and follow the grey wire as it makes its way towards you to the wiring harness. DO NOT REMOVE RELAY FOR FOG LIGHTS! Clip the grey wire at the wiring harness about 2-3 inches away from the male clip (just in case you tap your wire wrong and want to bridge the connection back for your foglights to work as they orginally do)
2.) You will need a 3M 18 gauge or larger quick connector or anything similar to that. Find the brown parking light wire and run it through the quick connector and the grey wire to the end cap of the connector while clamping the metal connector to both the grey (fog light) and brown (parking light) wires inside the 3M housing. (Ensure that you make enough space above the entire wiring module that will be reconnected later for the 3M quick connector above the clip so that it does not get back in the way when reconnecting your clip)
Everything should work if all connections are made correctly!

IF ANYONE HAS QUESTIONS JUST ASK.

Quick Reply: electrical experts: help modding oem fogs to parking lights