Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

electrical experts: help modding oem fogs to parking lights

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 11:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

also, there are 3 brown wires with silver paint spots on them. I tried tapping into the wire with one silver spot, but it didn't work. I tapped into the other brown wire with two silver spots and that worked.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Correct...The two parking light wires are designated in parallel as brown described on the 1st page by ICDEDPPL
Old 06-25-2007, 04:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

for all you guys whos low beams come on at 1 click instead of 2 clicks, CUT THE GREY WIRE!

i had the same problem.
not that there arent already 10 different people saying the same thing but ill say it again...

1) find the grey wire going to the white connector box for the relay
2) cut the wire loom around those wires
3) move a few inches away from the white box
4) CUT THE GREY WIRE INTO TWO PIECES!

i used extra wire just to make things easier

5) you now have 2 grey wires, 1 going into the loom and 1 going into the white box... connect your quick connect to the piece of grey wire that is going to the white box.
6) clap it to the added wire.
7) find the brown wire
put quick connect around brown wire
9) put in your added wire and close
10) enjoy.

if you have everything wired up and its working the way it should EXCEPT for the fact that your low beams now come on then just cut your grey wire making sure to leave your quick connect on the side of the wire that is connected to the white box. once you have done that it should work the way we all say it does lol

hope that helps some of you guys.
Old 07-12-2007, 03:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
1UP Crew
SL Member

i dont have the relay from the oem fogs cuz i never had oem fogs, so how would i do this mod?

i have the VRD fogs, can anyone help me asap please?
Old 07-25-2007, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by tcridinclean
i dont have the relay from the oem fogs cuz i never had oem fogs, so how would i do this mod?

i have the VRD fogs, can anyone help me asap please?
VRD fogs also have a relay that came with the kit. The wire colors are also the same. So you would follow the same instructions as OEM fogs.

I just posted a new set of detailed instructions on how to make the fog lights come on independently of any other lights in this thread: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...746973#2746973
Old 08-10-2007, 07:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just conect it to the parking lights. that should be easier
Old 08-18-2007, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i already have HID's so i wont be installing fog lights in the car, but i sure do want to tap the fog light wire to a constant 12+ so i can hook it up to an air horn
Old 10-18-2007, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

The method I used with my VRD fog lights did not require snipping any wires, only splicing into two wires and connecting those with one length of wire *shrugs*

I took the wire that causes the light of the fog light button to turn on, and connected that to another wire on the relay. I did it 6 months ago so I don't remember which wires were used. I'll take a picture of it at some point.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well i'm going to do this in a few days so i'll post pics up as soon as i can. I can't wait!
Old 12-02-2007, 07:50 PM
Jon
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Just finished this mod. After a lot of frustration and praying, I'm done. Pics when it gets dark...maybe.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

how do you do this with after market fog lights?
Old 03-12-2008, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

is there any way to do this mod for it to work exactly the way it works accept NOT having the fogs blink with my prestige remote starter?
Old 03-18-2008, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

off topic question but still in topic....i have OEM fogs right now...i ordered VRD fogs a few days ago so should receive it by the end of the week hopefully....now my question is....would i be able to install the vrds with the same wireing from my oem fogs? basiclaly just get new bulbs for the fogs, but the whole wireing...can i keep it the same so i dont have to rewire everything? because i wanna do this mod, but i dont want to have to rewire everything....?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by elite-fusion
off topic question but still in topic....i have OEM fogs right now...i ordered VRD fogs a few days ago so should receive it by the end of the week hopefully....now my question is....would i be able to install the vrds with the same wireing from my oem fogs? basiclaly just get new bulbs for the fogs, but the whole wireing...can i keep it the same so i dont have to rewire everything? because i wanna do this mod, but i dont want to have to rewire everything....?

YESSIIRRRR!!! worked for me...
Old 03-18-2008, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

fantastic =D would def save me a **** load of time hehe =D thanks dude
Old 03-18-2008, 02:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by elite-fusion
fantastic =D would def save me a **** load of time hehe =D thanks dude
no prob dude... all u do is:
1) remove the bumper... yada yada yada...
2) there is gonna be a plug directly below the driver side(where the fogs are plugged) remove it and put the VRD one in there...
3)ground the ground wire next to the plug (there is a nut there, i believe the oem fogs should be grounded there too)
4) on the inside wireing harness (below the fog switch) do as the pic shows (cut and snap the wire...)
5) cahnge the fugly oem fog switch to the lighted VRD one... it should be just plug and play... (just an fyi... the light in the switch brightens and dims as the gauge cluster does.)
Old 03-18-2008, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

sweet =D
so i would have to wire things from the fogs to the fuses or anything like that? or can i just take out bottom grill with fogs...unplug fogs, plug new bulbs into same connector and put fogs in (i know that u need to take bumper off and all that, just asking as a fast question instead of going into detail)
Old 03-18-2008, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

nah... u dont need to fiddle around with any fuses or stuff like that... just replace... its that simple...
Old 03-19-2008, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

wow this is quite hard for me, i dont know wtf im doing wrong honestly, but i found the OEM relay....i cut the gray wire into two pieces....now have one peice from the harness...one that was still left in the relay, so the one that is coming from the harness....i tapped that wire into the brown wires (one at a time tried all brown wires in the BIG plug, the 2nd one) and no luck, when attempting that, i only got the headlights to turn on with one click of the headlight switch, instead of the fogs going on, i dont know wtf i did wrong or what not...but now i already have another problem, when i connected eveything back the way its supposed to be....i turn my car on...and try to move the shifter, but even when pressing on the brake paddle, the shifter doesnt move, i dont know wtf is wrong. so i had to pop the little cap off of the shifter, and press that in order to switch from park to drive....please get back to me as to wtf is going on here, and how i can fix the shifter problem along with getting the d@mn fogs working with the running lights
Old 03-19-2008, 05:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

People who dont know what they are doing electrical can catch cars on fire.

If you dont have a multimeter, dont try anything electrical on a car.

I did this "mod" today except I just wired the gray wire coming from the relay to the first blue wire on the power mirror switch. So much easier than trying to find which brown wire. The mirrors are only powered when IGN on. Now my foglights work in all positions.

Quick Reply: electrical experts: help modding oem fogs to parking lights