Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

electrical experts: help modding oem fogs to parking lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 06:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by elite-fusion
i tapped that wire into the brown wires (one at a time tried all brown wires in the BIG plug, the 2nd one) \
i think thats what u should'ntt have done...

did u try putting everything back as it was before u started fiddling with the wires
Old 03-19-2008, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
SL Member

yep i put everything back to normal as it was before...
Old 03-19-2008, 07:38 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

and its still f'in up???
Old 03-19-2008, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Hyghgynx
If you have an AT, the shifter is in the 'locked' position. This is what happens when you blow the fuse to the tails. It's a safety feature that doesn't allow you to drive without functioning tails. To remedy this, pop open the cap next to the shifter. (Use a small flat head screw driver.) You should be able to 'unlock' the feature and everything should be okay as long as you replaced the fuse.
found this elsewhere... try this!!! this should solve the gear problem
Old 03-19-2008, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
SL Member

i already replaced the tail fuse...my tail lights work now....but yet the shifter still doesnt lol, idk wtf is goin on ill make sure again tonight when i get home from work, this is rediulous and btw scionkidd, thanks alot for all ur help and insight, greatly appriciated
Old 03-22-2008, 05:25 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

No prob bro!!!

btw what happened... did it work?
Old 03-22-2008, 03:05 PM
10 Year Member
SL Member

yep it did, i got it to work perfectly fine...next weekend doing the vrd fogs...and this weekend starting rightnow to work on my angel eyes....wish me luck bro lol...the baking is about to begin
Old 03-23-2008, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Best of luck bro!!!

btw, make sure when u have finished hookin up the angel eyes, put silicone or hot glue... (i love hot glue) on the lil black connectors and the wires coming out of the transformers to seal them water tight. other wise the angel eyes will get burned out after being in use with wet connectors, after a while.

just an fyi...
Old 03-24-2008, 04:50 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

good tip thanks, unfortuanly read this after sealing up the headlights lol, give me the brand name or whatever its called of the hotglue so i know where to buy this for my next project...please get back to me dude =D
btw what happand with the diy for the vrd fogs lol because im getting them in this tuesday and doing them next weekend =D so hook me up =D hehe
Old 03-25-2008, 01:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

no... u need to put the hotlue on the black connectors... they r outside the lights... ill get u some pics. give me a couple of days i'll have it for u
Old 03-25-2008, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
SL Member

and if u can, the diy for the fogs as to how to do it as u promised hehe =D because im getting them in tomorrow and im starting to work on them on saturday =D
Old 04-25-2008, 11:43 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by MADMARK
People who dont know what they are doing electrical can catch cars on fire.

If you dont have a multimeter, dont try anything electrical on a car.

I did this "mod" today except I just wired the gray wire coming from the relay to the first blue wire on the power mirror switch. So much easier than trying to find which brown wire. The mirrors are only powered when IGN on. Now my foglights work in all positions.
This worked awesome...way better than trying to shove the fuse with the wire...wire snap and "wham" instant fogs whenever!
Old 04-26-2008, 09:08 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i've read through this thread and this is exactly what i plan on doing. my tc didn't come with oem fogs, so i will have to buy the fog light harness. my question is, will this mod work without the fog light switch or will i need to buy that too?
Old 04-26-2008, 02:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

you have to get a switch!!! as far as I know...

other than that... u dont really need a harness. the fogs designed should come with the wiring u need...
Old 04-26-2008, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i actually didn't buy the kit brand new.... so all i got is the fog lights and grill... no wiring. i figured, if i get the harness and do this mod, i should be able to access the grey wire and brown wire without the switch, unless the relay isn't included because my tc wasn't originally equiped with oem fogs. also, if this mod was to work with the switch off, wouldn't it be the same as not having a switch at all? so i figured this mod would work without the switch unless i needed to access any of the wires on it. what do you guys think... will this work?
Old 04-28-2008, 01:05 AM

I did this "mod" today except I just wired the gray wire coming from the relay to the first blue wire on the power mirror switch. So much easier than trying to find which brown wire. The mirrors are only powered when IGN on. Now my foglights work in all positions.

very good suggestion i jus finished doing this mod like 5 minutes ago and it worked like a charm!!! It took all of 2 min to do (took about 5 min to get that relay connecter off though ).....I prefer this method to tapping into the parking light wires, now i can have fogs whenever i want!!! THANX MADMARK
Old 05-07-2008, 04:31 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

just did the mod today. didn't have to use a switch.... turn on the sidemarker and the fogs come on. works perfectly. thanks all for the info
Old 09-03-2008, 07:29 PM

sorry to revive such an old thread, but is there a way to tap into a lead that is always on when the ignition is in the 'on' position, but turns off when not? This is what i want to do: i want to be able to turn on the fog lights even without parking lights or low beams on, but still have it turn off when i turn the car off, in case i forget to hit the switch when i exit the vehicle.

I installed fogs on my previous prelude and found a fuse that was only hot when key is in the 'on' position, and it was independent from any other switches other than the fog light on/off switch itself.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:13 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by geenius
sorry to revive such an old thread, but is there a way to tap into a lead that is always on when the ignition is in the 'on' position, but turns off when not? This is what i want to do: i want to be able to turn on the fog lights even without parking lights or low beams on, but still have it turn off when i turn the car off, in case i forget to hit the switch when i exit the vehicle.

I installed fogs on my previous prelude and found a fuse that was only hot when key is in the 'on' position, and it was independent from any other switches other than the fog light on/off switch itself.

Thanks in advance guys.
I believe u can tap in the side view mirror line wires... i dont know where the wire is but some people here have done it...
just scroll back a couple of pages and someone mentioned it.
Old 09-04-2008, 03:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TheTrue1

very good suggestion i jus finished doing this mod like 5 minutes ago and it worked like a charm!!! It took all of 2 min to do (took about 5 min to get that relay connecter off though ).....I prefer this method to tapping into the parking light wires, now i can have fogs whenever i want!!! THANX MADMARK
^^^here u go^^^

Quick Reply: electrical experts: help modding oem fogs to parking lights