Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Extra Batteries for Subs and Moniters

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 04:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Who makes 8D, again I dont know much about the electrical part of the car.

Is it a type of battery or a brand. Also, where would I find one at?
Old 09-28-2008, 07:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

so let me get this straight. your battery is dieing after an hour of just running your D3? no amps, no other screens? just the D3?
Old 09-28-2008, 10:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What year is your tC? How many miles and is it the original battery?

Also, what's the max and RMS wattage of your amp?

If you've got anything less than 500w RMS; a D3, couple of monitors, and an amp shouldn't drain your battery in one hour. Unless of course your battery is on its last leg or your alternator is about to kick the bucket.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Balliztik
SL Member

Yeah you need to either run the car while bumping the booms........or run it for a few minutes every 30 minutes or so of it being on........my NINe.5 sucks the juice out of my battery very quickly.

I got a REd top Optima with 100 minutes reserve time which I have not tested to its fullest yet.........amps tend to suck a battery that is not charging via alternator pretty quickly.

Also with a gel cell battery like Optima it is not good for them to run down to near dead either............they do not like to last when you do that........but you can take them back to place of purchase for a new one monthly if you want for a new one for like 3 years.

Kirby.......how many watts are you pushing now????The monitors are not gonna use much juice,nor will the D3,but the amp will.

If you are looking for a convertor for shows I will send you the link,but would not use it for charging battery all the time to keep up with amp......just turn car on.........

I figure to keep my car off and play the tunes at fullpower for no more than 30 minutes......figure around 600+ to subs and 400 to comps.......make battery go down fast.......
Old 09-29-2008, 12:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by theunclesam
What year is your tC? How many miles and is it the original battery?

Also, what's the max and RMS wattage of your amp?

If you've got anything less than 500w RMS; a D3, couple of monitors, and an amp shouldn't drain your battery in one hour. Unless of course your battery is on its last leg or your alternator is about to kick the bucket.
thats what i am thinking. i can blast my 1220 (class a/b) watt system for about an hour straight and the voltage still stay above 12v. the lowest i have seen it after sitting and listening for a while is 11.8, and even then the car started right up with no problem at all. this is on the 2yr old stock battery. my only electrical upgrade is "the big 3".

i'm thinking your battery is either shot or your alternator is shot. unless you are running a lot of power and listening at really extreme levels then something is wrong.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

I am going to replace the battery here shortly. I have been looking into the Optima batteries and I really like them. I wouldn't be surprised if the alternator is going out too. I will have to have a shop check it out.

Anyways thanks for the advice with no one jumping in and being a jerk about it. :-D
Old 09-29-2008, 02:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah sorry i was a jerk actually.. the 8D battery is this huge battery used for diesel motors.. it weighs in at about 120 pounds. but yeah if anything go w/ a yellow top optima. i've actually seen ppl use the blue tops too tho. the yellow n blue are deep cycle so you won't damage them if you completely kill them.
Old 09-29-2008, 02:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Ohh, ha ha ha ... I thought you were being serious about an 8D. LOL Thanks though.
Old 10-22-2008, 05:09 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i had 1000 watts of power, a D3, and more lighting than I know what to do with all running off of 1 optima yellow top and never had any issues. if u have the car running then ull be fine. no need to waste money on anything else