Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Factory Speaker Upgrades poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 11:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Factory Speaker Upgrades poll

For those of you who have upgrades your factory/stock speakers..shoot me some post to let me see what you have gone with, i am planning to do this on my 07 TC, and later on the radio, but im not sure yet about that, im told the scion radio is pretty good, and so far its putting out some good tunes
Old 07-03-2007, 06:05 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Concept in Motion Crew
SL Member

i have pioneer speakers all around specifically TS-G's and TS-A's. Go with 6.5" but yes the stock stereo does sound pretty good.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There's probably quite a bit in here too:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=103100

Not just subs/amps I'm sure.
Old 07-03-2007, 06:17 PM
5 Year Member

Default Speaker upgrades.

There are a lot of solutions for new car audio in the tc. With the help of a friend of mine we did a great custom job to my TC. You can see it at cardomain.com look for BigD's 2006 Scion just to get an idea.

A few brands that i would recommend are:

Elemental Design - great subs and speakers! i have one 8 hitting 126 db.
Diamond Audio - great subs and speakers!
Swiss Audio - Don't know much about them, i've installed several of their component speaker sets and used several of their amps. I must say, i'm impressed with the delivery.
Eclipse - great head units and amps.
PPI - amps (the old ones that are chrome) are excellent. You can sometimes find them on Ebay.
Old 07-03-2007, 07:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

imo you are better off changing your deck first if you are looking in terms of quality. get a good deck (pioneer, eclipse, alpine), dont cheap out, and youll be 100x happier with it. the thing is that on the stock deck you dont have that much eq control vs. an aftermarket deck. and it is in the eq that you are able to get your quality from. imo the stockies arent that bad, and are actually good, but id start at the headunit.

however, when i swap out my speakers (a long time eventually..lol) im going to go elemental designs 6000s powered by an alpine amp. i was also considering the alpine type Rs and i wanted to go cheaper the type Ss. i had the type Rs in my old car and they sounded super sweet, even off just being powered off the headunit.

but all in all i say headunit first
Old 07-11-2007, 08:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what do you think of the infinity kappa 6.1-6.5" components
Old 07-11-2007, 10:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have Alpine SPX-177Rs in my doors powered by an Alpine amp
Old 07-12-2007, 11:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Hey Venom!
As others have said - you should consider a new head unit first. The biggest reason for this is the OEM unit has some built in EQ that won't sound very good with your new speakers. There is no 'defeat' button/mode. You can still utilize your steering wheel controls with your new source unit, some models are easier than others to integrate.

Speaking of speakers...What do you listen to? How loud? What speakers have you heard that you liked / disliked? Do you plan on installing rear speakers? Amplifier(s)? Subwoofer(s)? Who's installing the system? What's the installer's skill level? What's your budget?

I would suggest mapping out a system that you can add equipment as time and budget allows. This will help you avoid buyers remorse, and the *need* to upgrade. Save up and buy the equipment you want - once!

Cheers!
Old 07-12-2007, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i plan to purchase all my things fisrst then have them instaleed..as for the set up i want to keep it pretty simple, i want a good head unit (maybe in the Alpine family), 6.5" components in the front door panels, and rear (alpine spx-177rs or infinity kappa 6.1) and as for a sub woofer i was given the scion vse bazooka tube from a friend who just purchased it, but wrecked his car before he could intall it or even take it out of the box. as as for the music i listen to, i listen to about just everything ranging from hip hop, rap, pop, rock and even latin, i am not really into the real loud bumping, so i dont think i will need an amp, just a good head unit as a power sourse, but as for that still shopping arround..well here you go this is what i want to achieve..what ya think
Old 07-12-2007, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by tcvenom
i plan to purchase all my things fisrst then have them instaleed..as for the set up i want to keep it pretty simple, i want a good head unit (maybe in the Alpine family), 6.5" components in the front door panels, and rear (alpine spx-177rs or infinity kappa 6.1) and as for a sub woofer i was given the scion vse bazooka tube from a friend who just purchased it, but wrecked his car before he could intall it or even take it out of the box. as as for the music i listen to, i listen to about just everything ranging from hip hop, rap, pop, rock and even latin, i am not really into the real loud bumping, so i dont think i will need an amp, just a good head unit as a power sourse, but as for that still shopping arround..well here you go this is what i want to achieve..what ya think
SWEET!

Here's what I'd suggest:
Get whatever CD player that has all the features built in to suit your needs: iPod interface, bluetooth, etc. Some things I would suggest you look for: Internal crossover, EQ, time alignment. It seems that Pioneer's the only one that's got you covered with models that have all the above and internal amplifiers (you can get them pretty cheap on ebay):
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...tailsComponent
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...159496,00.html

Since you said you're not looking for an external amplifier, I suggest some GOOD coaxial speakers. Trust me, it's better to have a good coaxial speaker than to try to get components and not properly install them, nor have the power to drive them. The nice thing about coax's, is there's only ONE source of sound (per channel), vs. 2 sources of sound (midbass & tweeter installed in different locations) as with components. The benefit to a more "simple" approach is that without going "active" (one amplifier channel per speaker), you don't need any time alignment between the speakers (only L/R), and thus a more stable "soundstage" and "image" results. I can elaborate more if you like...

Some of the one's we've been very impressed with - trust me, we're snobs:
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...756456,00.html
http://www.criticalmassaudio.com/coaxials/rs6.html

Add in the subwoofer and you're set!
Cheers!
Old 07-12-2007, 12:54 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what size should i get the COAXIALS in for my (front and rear) and should i get a set of door baffles for the front door install
Old 07-12-2007, 01:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I believe the front doors are 6.5"s, and the rears are 5.25"s, but you can get 6.5"s to fit. I would suggest that you not only get baffles, but some sort of sound damping material (Dynamat) to apply liberally over ALL metal surfaces. This will justify your investment stereo-wise because the "noise floor" ie: road noise, vibrations, etc. will be hushed, allowing you to hear the stereo better...
Old 07-12-2007, 01:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

THANKS A MILLION. I am set time to start my shopping.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

about the dynamat sound dampening material, what do you think of this i found on ebay, it is for 2 pieces, do you think if i get it i should get a second set for the rear.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...link:middle:us
Old 07-12-2007, 01:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

No. This is one area that will go well beyond your expectations IF done properly. Doing a small area just around the speaker will do very little. There's no such thing as overkill! Tap your knuckles on all the metal surfaces on your vehicle, and you'll quickly find which pieces need more damping than others. The following links are awesome sources for information about techniques, installation, proper materials and their application, etc.

http://raamaudio.com/cgi-bin/index.cgi
www.sounddeadenershowdown.com
Old 07-12-2007, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you're going to need a lot more than that. i suggest going with edead. good stuff and relatively inexpensive.

I have over 200 sq ft in my car and it doesn't rattle at all

http://www.edesignaudio.com/edv2/index.php?cPath=24

is a link to all of their deadening. I suggest v1se its good stuff for the doors
Old 07-12-2007, 01:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

or this one which is for the whole door panel

http://cgi.ebay.com/DYNAMAT-XTREME-D...QQcmdZViewItem

as for the rear speakers i think just around the speakers will do..what do you think
Old 07-12-2007, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

and that sounddeadenershowdown is really old and a lot of companies have completely changed their products. including elemental
Old 07-12-2007, 01:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by nebster
and that sounddeadenershowdown is really old and a lot of companies have completely changed their products. including elemental
...yeah, and Scosche (used in my car) isn't even mentioned. However, it's still an EXCELLENT reference.
Old 07-12-2007, 01:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

its a decent reference. they really do go into depth but i really would like to see him do another one. its not like it costs 500 bucks to do it

Quick Reply: Factory Speaker Upgrades poll