Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Fi Q12 Subwoofer ?s

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Fi Q12 Subwoofer ?s

I just ordered my 12" Fi Q (w/ bp option) and i could never be more excited for it to come. I'm upgrading from a JL Audio 13TW5, mainly for loudness issues. I have a couple questions however...

1. Will the Q be much louder than the JL? The JL is running 500watts @ 4 now off a Kenwood 9104D amp. The Q will run off the same amp for now, getting 900watts at 2ohms. I'm upgrading cause the JL is shallow, only 13mm excursion and barely moves any air... And I loveeeee SQ subs, but also want pretty loud...

2. Now before you bash on me and tell me I should have gotten a BL instead, I must state that i drive a scion tc, with an open hatch area, which is where the sub will be sitting. I plan on putting it in a 1.2 cuft sealed enclosure, and will it be loud being that the trunk is open to the cabin?

3. The famous "break-in" period. Is it real? Is it not real? We need to clear that up. I don't want to be blowing my Q on the first week it comes because i was playing rap or w.e. too loud.

4. Is the Kenwood 9104D a good amp? Yay or Nay? for now, its all i got, so would upgrading it this summer really make a difference? Will this amp "clip" the sub at all?

5. My wiring/electrical issue: I run 4g amp wire setup. Stock battery. Is that gonna give enough power to my Q?

I know the basics when it comes to car audio, just not that nitty gritty schit.
Old 04-07-2009, 04:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I have the same sub w/o BP in my car in 1.5cuft box and it's awesome. I'm running it off of an Alpine PDX-1.1000 but I don't remember where I have the gain set. I had a scope when I set the gains on my amps to make sure it wouldn't clip. So to answer some of your questions.

1. I've never heard the JL but if it's a shallow mount than the Fi Q is almost garunteed to be louder. Mine gets pretty loud but it depends on the source and my volume setting. I've noticed the Fi Q seems to have a power threshold. Meaning at lower volumes it's difficult to tell it's there but as I increase the volume you can definitely tell it's back there.

2. I have mine pointed up and even with the cover over it its plenty loud for me.

3. Yes, the break in period is to allow the speakers suspension to loosen up.

4. I don't know anything about the amp but clipping depends on lots of things. First your head unit. You need to know if your head unit sends clean signals even with the volume all the way up. I scoped my Alpine HU and even with the sub setting and volume all the way up I still had a clean signal. Second, remember the gain adjustment is not a volume ****. Third, your source recording should be good. It is possible to use a bad recording that could damage the sub (you would know it if you heard it).

5. Are you running any other amps? 4gauge for just the sub is fine but it depends on the whole setup.

Hope this helps a little.

Here's a pic of Fi Q before I covered the box.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

good choice on the Q...i had the 15BL, when it first came out back then and i was more than satisfied with it. I was running RE stuff before I went with the BL, since it was Scott the owner of FI that use to build for RE...that's a whole different story.

I can say the Q will sound good, comparing it to the JL I would say it is a close call, but i can say that the Q will get louder.

The breakin period, just don't go and throw 2000watts to it right away and you will be find.

Make sure when you are setting your gains, that you are not clipping the crap out of the amp. That clipping signal will kill the sub faster than you can enjoy the bass.

Save up and get another amp when you get money. I would suggest the Sundown amps, either the SAZ-1000D or the SAZ-1500D. Your 4gauge wire is good for what it is now. If you decide to upgrade to one of those sundowns i would go 0 gauge.
I currently have a 4gauge and 0gauge running back from my battery, and i still have the original battery...
Old 04-08-2009, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

alright sounds good and thanks.

I will be running 900 watts off the start and probably upgrade to the sundown audio sae-1200d this summer.

Do i need to keep the volume low for the first 10 hours or so? Or can i play loud music?

Also, I remember when i bought the amp kit for my car, it was rated for up to 500 watts according to rockford fosgate. Even though it said that should i be fine? what will happen if it is too weak of electrical?
Old 04-16-2009, 11:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry to hijack... where did you buy your Fi Q12 from?
Old 04-17-2009, 12:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

www.ficaraudio.com
Old 04-17-2009, 12:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thank you!