Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Hard wiring portable XM?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Hard wiring portable XM?!?!?

I was looking to get rid of the cigarette lighter plug and go with an inline fuse setup, but lack some of the required tools. ie......volt meter. I hope that someone could give me a hand with this?

where would be the best place to run the new power and ground (trying to avoid any backgroubd noise like alt. whine or buzzing)?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

you can run the 12+ to the accessory wire behind your h/u (wouldnt recommend that thou)

splice directly into the 12+ wire of the cig. lighter behind the dash

just use the inline fuse, i had to learn that the hard way

ground it to anything. any metal surface or screw that touches the frame.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

That would be the fuse supplied with the unit or using mine? What size fuse do you recommend?
Old 08-09-2007, 06:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the cig. lighter plug usually has a fuse and probably also a power supply to change from 12 to 5 volts. On mine i opened up the plug, connected 2 wires and tapped into the wires behind the cig lighter.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

tapping is the best thing i'd say to do. i did that w/ my radar detector and it turns on when the car turns on, which is exactly what i wanted.

as for a fuse, it shouldnt need anything more than a 10 amp. if it blows that, then its not wired correctly.

try not to reverse polarity or you can fry the unit before you even turn it on. install the fuse last and triple check your wiring before anything gets turn on.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

be sure to check the input voltage to the XM unit. If it's a RoadyXT they run on 5 volts. if you bypass the circuitry inside the plug you may cook it.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've posted this before for the RoadyXT. If you're using a different receiver it may be a little different, but the concept is the same.

Unscrew the end of the plug where the little spring-loaded pin is, then pry the cig. lighter case apart. Inside is a nice board with a fuse and those two ground connection bars. Remove the fuse and de-solder the red wire from where it goes through the board at J (right next to the capacitor). That's where you need to solder a new 12V wire, preferably through an inline fuse-holder with a 2 amp fuse (same as what you pulled out). The neg. connection is a little tougher, but it shouldn't be too bad. De-solder that big shiny thing with the wings that contact the sides of the cig. lighter socket or just bend it back and forth until it breaks off. There is a hole there (labeled Gnd) next to the slot used for holding that thing in place. Put your neg. wire through that hole and solder it in. Run the wires out through the tip of the cig lighter plug, snap it back together, screw the tip back on and hide it behind the dash somewhere.