Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help! Air only flows out of top vents!! ????

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 05:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help! Air only flows out of top vents!! ????

So I installed my car stereo earlier this summer. And now that it is starting to get a little cooler, I have noticed the air flow will only come out of the top air vents. When I switch it to "floor", the HVAC shows the man with the arrow on his feet but the air continues to come out of the top vents, with no air coming out the bottom. The same goes for defrost and the other options. Does anyone have an idea how to fix this??? Anyone?? HELP! Please!!
Old 09-12-2009, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have been looking at the electrical wiring diagrams, and it looks like a problem in the Damper Servo Motor (Air Vent Mode), but I don't know where to go from there. Any ideas? I have checked all the associated fuses and they are all fine.
Old 09-12-2009, 11:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ummmm.. something wrong with the motor that diverts the air where it needs to go. but where that motor is i have no idea. or the power wire to the motor is damaged
Old 09-14-2009, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Okay, so no improvement, but I have found a few things out.

Does anyone know anything about the Damper Servo Motor (Air vent mode)? I think there is something wrong with this part of the setup. I looked for this through the '07 tC electrical diagrams and determined the following:

1) The box for the motor is tiny. I don't know how this could be the motor. It must be a signal relay point or something
2) I cant even find this tiny box. It is shown to be directly behind the center vents. Not seeing it. WTH?

So yeah, can't find the mysterious box that is supposedly responcible. Here are my possible culprits to the problem...

a) I messed up something on the circuit board when doing the HVAC swap. Likeilyhood: 10%

b) A cable is weak coming out of the HVAC going to the motor box. Likelyhood: 40%

c) I cut a wire when putting the headunit in. Likelyhood: 30%

d) The motor just broke. Likelyhood: 10% (it seems the motor is just one big servo motor, so i really dont think this it is.)

e) something else. remaining percent. whatever.

Let me know if you have any suggestions at all!!!!
Old 09-15-2009, 08:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does anyone have a schematic of the HVAC circuit board? I would like to know where the mode and defrost signals travel.
Old 09-15-2009, 08:20 PM
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

Have you checked all your vaccum lines? Aren't these systems run off of vaccum, I could be wrong but I know my navigator was doing the same thing and come to find out it was a corroded vaccum line under the hood...