Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help, Door Panel Vibration

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 09:49 PM
SL Member

Default Help, Door Panel Vibration

Well, I have had my new setup for a few weeks now and I love it. Except the door panel vibrations. When theres heavy basslines my door makes this awesome noise that pierces through the song and directs my attention to it. It comes from the upper left part of the driver side door. When I press the door panel it goes away. Anybody have a fix for this?
Old 03-08-2008, 10:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the same problem. i will soon be buying a foam camping mat from wal-mart and cutting it up and stuffing it inside. buzzing is from two panels lightly touching each other. you just need to stuff something in there to dampen it. pretty simple really. i only get buzzing in my door panel when the panel is ice cold though. but i also treated my door skins a little bit on the inside.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I havent done my system yet but I also get a drivers side door panel rattle with my stock speakers. I even took the panel off to examine it and found nothing. Only conclusion I came up with is that its a 17k car, its gonna rattle, oh well.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:48 PM
SL Member

I just wanted to update this. I either found out how to fix it quickly with minimal parts or the noise just somehow mysteriously disappeared. What I did was :
1: Buy some foam mounting tape or foam weatherstrip. Its like 3 bucks at walmart.
2: Take the door off
3: Look at the top of the door panel on the back, there should be plastic "ribs" theres several of them along the top of the door panel. When you place the door panel back to the metal door you can see that these pieces touch a black strip on the door. I tapped that black strip with my finger and felt it was pretty hard and could lead to rattle.
4: Put foam tape on each of these plastic ribs so they don't contact that black strip on the door. Kind of like the hatch rattle fix..

I also went a little further on mine, basically just find any areas that have plastic pieces that you think could touch the metal door. One other place is right along the very right outer edge of the door panel when your looking at the back of it. Theres more of that white-ish plastic crap there.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i stuffed my plastic door panel with polyfil. haven't heard a buzz yet.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:41 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i havent took door panels off yet, still cold, but i also have stock speaker rattle there.

I've already installed about $400 of my $700 worth of Second skin Damplifier. I know i will need some Rattlepad to prevent pieces rattling against another piece so i'll be buying that stuff... or i will just line the door with overkill since the door is pretty close to staging area, any type of cushion will work.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:24 AM
SL Member

Well, I didn't have rattle before I got my new comps. After I put them in, there was a new rattle that sounded either like tapping on glass quickly or plastic tapping metal when lower frequencies played. And it was right next to my ear too. All I did to make it stop, before I used the tape, was to press on the door panel at the very top left.

The annoying high pitched tapping/vibration is totally gone now but the doors still buzz because there is high powered speakers connected to them. I have yet to buy some deadening either. Now I just have to figure out how to fix the annoying squeaking emanating from the dash right around the buttons for the side mirrors. I learn something new every time I drive over slightly uneven terrain.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've got the same rattle, but I might just try that foam tape you were talking about. Or just use my eDead and build up a barrier at those areas. I also have a rattle right at my front dome light like right where the headliner meets the sunroof opening. I also have a rattle in the headline above the rear passenger side. It's right next to where the hatch is attached to the roof. We just have rattle-y cars, especially in the winter. I'm gonna go ape shit this summer though with deadening and try to get rid of most of my rattles.

Tomorrow I'm attacking my ground loop... It's not that noticeable, in fact I thought it totally went away today, but a chassis ground for the head unit can't hurt right?