Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

HELP! Driver seat reclines w/out locking!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 12:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HELP! Driver seat reclines w/out locking!

A while back I used the lever to set my seat forward to let people out of my rear seats. Right after that, I got in my car and pushed it back with my back as usual and it should lock into position, but when I pushed it back it made clicking noises and reclined all the way back to the laying down position. I've been fumbling all day and still have yet to find out while it's happening. But I do know that it's in the rotating gears that pivots the seat back and forth and also the lever and pulley mechanism that helps you recline the seat forward and in the laying down position. I took my seat out today, (scratch my tc.... ) checked it all out. So if anyone has any experience with this, please help me out!

Usually when you pull the lever on the backseat it also moves the pulley on the bottom, but the two aren't moving as one. So that means that. Something is not connecting inside the seat or is loose. It's getting dark so I'm putting my seat back into the car. As much as is appreciated guys! Warranty expired ages ago, so none of that bs about sending it to the dealership. I'd like to kept this project/fix in my garage.

I've tried pushing the seat forward and back and all that stuff. Thanks alot!
Old 07-13-2010, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

disconnect the battery if you have seat airbags. and than unbolt all five seat bolts.

pull the seat out and set it on something clean like a tarp or visqueen.

flip it over so you can see the bottom. there will be plastic tabs that hold all of the upholstery on. look around to see what you can see. but you may end up having to disassemble the seat mechanism to find you stripped a tooth off somehow.

and if all else fails start calling toyota wrecking yard or checking out craiglist. they have a lot of good stuff around out of tc's usually. they rarely end up at "pull a part" type yards though.

hope it helps to get you started.
Old 07-13-2010, 04:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Usually when that happens, all you have to do is recline the seat all the way back untill you hear a click and that's it you can start readjusting your seat again. In your case it seems like you've already tried that and it seems like you're hearing unusual sounds during the process. If you're still under warranty, I would suggest you take the car in. I had this problem once when my car was still under warranty (had 25,000 miles on the car I believe) and they fixed it for free. If I remember correctly, they did have to order the gears and everything and take apart the seat to repair it. They had to keep the car over night because the parts were going to be shipped over night.