Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help mag hardwire his PS2 DC adapter to a rocker switch

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 08:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Help mag hardwire his PS2 DC adapter to a rocker switch

(Before we begin, just know that I have ZERO experience as an electrician. If I FUBAR any of the terminology, please let me know. haha)

So I want to be able to hook up my PS2 to my AVIC-D3. The A/V part of it is a gimmie; hook up the A/V cables to the back of the D3 and voila. The hard part is the electrical stuff. Because I also want to be able to toggle the DC-DC adapter I bought for it on and off via a GardnerBender rocker switch in the event that I take my PS2 out of my car. Ol' magnetic is in a pickle because he doesn't know too much about wiring.

This is the DC-DC adapter I got for my PS2 (slim):

I was entertaining the thought of just hooking into the cigarette lighter like everyone else does with their lights/radar detectors/coffee makers/etc. ...only problem is, I don't know how I'll be able to wire this guy up to the cig plug.

So I pried open the cigarette plug and this is what I got...sorry it's kinda blurry/dark:

To give you a better understanding, I made a diagram in good ol' MSPaint:

Inside the cigarette plug is 2 and a half wires. The black one, I can probably assume well, is my Ground. The white is probably my hot. Pink represents soldered points. But that red wire? It's soldered to the same metal (yellow) part as the black wire, and then it's routed through the spring and soldered at the opposite end of the spring where the 10A fuse sits.

If I want to cut this plug and use these wires and hardwire them into the tC and a GB rocker switch, how would I do it? Is it just a matter of grounding the black wire, and then route the hot wire to the live end of the rocker switch, and then from the load end of the switch to a fuse+T-Tapped positive wire of the cig plug?
Old 07-15-2007, 08:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

what you could do would be to use something like this

so you wont have to cut or open anything up. then solder the red from the lighter (the pic that i posted) to one of the posts on the switch, then solder the other post to wherever you are getting yoru +12v from. and then just ground the black wire somewhere. hope this helps
Old 07-15-2007, 04:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Help mag hardwire his PS2 DC adapter to a rocker switch

/quote] If I want to cut this plug and use these wires and hardwire them into the tC and a GB rocker switch, how would I do it? Is it just a matter of grounding the black wire, and then route the hot wire to the live end of the rocker switch, and then from the load end of the switch to a fuse+T-Tapped positive wire of the cig plug?[/quote]

I'm an electrician who works on military choppers. Personally, I don't think you'll need that fuse as there is already a fuse, 7.5 I believe, that protects your 12v accessory power circuit. But if you want a fuse, go for it, as it won't hurt anything. It sounds like you are right on the money as what needs to be done.

I personally would just cut the end piece off and forget that little red wire existed. Attach the black to any ground. Attach the white, which is your hot 12v+, to one end of the switch contacts, then the other to the positive from the cig lighter. I prefer to solder all of my wires, but using one of those T splices is a simple and quick way to do it. Also, just fyi, there are unused 12v+ outputs that are under the panel under the steering wheel, left side. You need a voltmeter to determine the right one. Some should be constant 12v, power always on even with no key, and some switched. I tapped those for my head unit and Sirius radio adapter, but it was a while ago.

Have fun. I just put my ps2 in my car last weekend. I was bored. I alread have an inverter, so I used that for my power because I didn't feel like buying the 12v adapter. But the 12v adapter is definitely the way to go. Good luck

I can't see the picture of the adapter too well, and I can't tell how the fuse is wired in that adapter. The way your diagram shows it, would cause an immediate short to ground on that circuit once it is plugged in. The outside of the cigarette lighter case is all ground, and the center post is the positive. So attaching red directly to the ground is not advantageous.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im doing the same thing next week ill tell how it works out if u wanna know