Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help a newb choose a new HU

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 03:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Well here's my review of dpx-501. I recently installed this unit into my xb. Installation was a breeze. The stock metal support attacted right to the unit. as for the fit, the new unit is a bit short on the sides, so a piece of plastic was supplied that connected to either ends and you shaped it yourself according to your vehicle. i wasn't too pleased about this beause i did a crapy job cutting them out. But anyways the aux inputs are rca. The unit sounds phenomenal, controls are simple and i love the volume **** and radio text. i use the usb thing if i download new songs and dont update my ipod, aslo my friends will load up thier memory sticks and play thier tunes in my car. i have hooked up my ipod to the usb but its like hooking it up to a comp. the whole "do not disconnect" thing pops up and u have no control through the actual ipod. all my songs play and display fairly nice. what happens is the songs are jumbled up into about 60 folders and it is nearly impossible to find what you are looking for, but if your in a shuffle mood its great, plus it charges the ipod too.

Now after having this unit for a while i think i would have gone with the 701 only because the display is too simple for a $200 HU. it doesnt do anything interesting like visualization. but this is a great HU other than that. Below are the pics requested, sry it was a nighht shoot, i'll get day pics up later.

I put in this little headphone jack cuz i didnt like the aux cable coming out up under my feet.

[/img]
Old 08-13-2006, 06:36 PM
5 Year Member

I have the upgraded Dealer Ipod interface in my tC,,, but i am not happy with the sound quality of my Head unit. My question is, is there any decks outthere where i can just plug the wire that was installed at the dealer for the ipod in to the back of the unit so i can still use the ipod plug in my center console??
Old 08-14-2006, 11:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Thanks Johnm248. There are aftermarket trim pieces for the gaps on the sides of the HU...they're discussed somewhere in the forum (Metra 95-8202, I think)...cost is around 20 bucks.

The USB-iPod connection seems to be as big a pain in the rear as I imagined it would be. If I get this or the 701 I'll stick with rear AUX inputs. Did you consider installing you phonejack in one of those little rectangular thingies abouve the ashtray? I haven't messed with them but in many cars these are replaceable and used for switches, LEDs, etc for alarms and such.

Finally, what holds your iPod to dash? I've got a single-din HU in my box now, and I've gotten used to the shelf for placing my iPod. I can give it up, though, if I can find an alternative...
Old 08-21-2006, 02:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default DPX-301

I decided to get DPX-301...the extra cost for USB connectivity with DPX-501/701 just didn't do anything for me. I also ordered Metra 95-8202 trim kit, and will install phono jack for iPod or Sirius P-n-P at the bottom of right dash (instead of through one of three knockouts on center console). I'll attach pics later this week.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I went with Kenwood DPX301 and installed last night. Install was piece of cake since Scion HU mounting brackets screwed right on to Kenwood HU. I used Metra kit to trim out sides...this is a PERFECT fit to Double-Din opening in xB. I dropped wire from Aux on back of HU to phono jack installed under lower right dash; this gives me direct iPod connection to HU. This unit sounds fantastic. Pics are in my Profile. Colors match too: aluminum trim on HU matches exactly environmental control *****; blue text matches blue of my Sirius One; red backlight matches red items on xB dash.
Old 09-11-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Bump. Ordered the 701 earlier today. I'm wondering where I can get the Metra kit, the 95-8202 specifically.
Old 09-11-2006, 01:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Metra kit

Crutchfield bundled this for free with my DPX-301. For my xB, it fills the gaps PERFECTLY...don't know about tC. Crutchfield sells it as Item #120958202 (Toyota/Scion Kit) for $12.99...bolts right on!