Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Help please with Sirius tuner and Pioneer premium headunit!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help please with Sirius tuner and Pioneer premium headunit!

I have the Pioneer premium headunit PT546-00081 installed in my tC with the Sirius SCC1 tuner and the TOYSC1 interface hooked to it. My question is there a way to eliminate the TOYSC1 interface and just use the the tuner with this headunit.The reason I ask is that the sound quality sucks even with the output toggle level at high.I think the interface is the reason behind this.I know this was the only way to get Sirius radio with my original 06' stock headunit with out purchasing the dealer option,thats why I have this set up already.But I'm hoping its somehow not needed with the 08' premium headunit! If not I guess I will be forced to by a aftermarket headunit that is Sirius specific so I can enjoy cd quality sound from satilite radio. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2009, 05:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anybody! Can you hear me now?
Old 03-17-2009, 09:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

thats an easy answer. not possible. the scc1 descrambles the satellite signal into something your factory headunit cannot read, the purpose of the TOYSC1 is to translate the information so that it becomes compatible with your factory radio.
Old 03-17-2009, 09:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i forgot to mention that in my experience sirius has always been noticeably lower in volume. i think its a byproduct of the compression thats used to stream the so much data.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for your response,I was afraid this was going to be the case! If I do purchase an after market headunit that uses a specific tuner for that make of radio that should produce better sound quality by eliminating the toysc1 interface then right?
Old 03-18-2009, 08:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yes... you would still utilize the SCC1 and you would need to get an interface thats compatible with whatever radio you decide to go with. i would recommend an aftermarket radio like a pioneer. i like the pioneers because they have the SLA feature. here's some info i found online that explains the details about SLA.

SLA - Source Level Adjustment:
Allows you to adjust the volumes coming from different sources. For example, AM radio may be softer than FM radio, so the SLA of AM can be turned up to prevent any huge change in sound levels when switching between sources. All radio is normally louder than music, so to prevent being blasted by the radio when you turn it on, it's SLA can be turned down. SLA for each source can vary from (+4) to (-4). I have also found that SLA can make a difference when subs are hooked up. If you have extremely loud subs that swamp out all of your highs, you can turn the SLA on the CD source up to make up for it. What it does is it raises the volume of the speakers without turning up the level of bass from the subwoofers.

Also do yourself a favor... now that i think about it, our stock radio's are pioneer. scroll through the menu and see if you see SLA, if you do than just adjust it accordingly. that might save you some cash. i cant remember off hand if it did, but an aftermarket pioneer will for sure have it.
Old 03-18-2009, 08:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

actually i've just re-read your original post and it looks as if you've already tried that. looks like trying an aftermarket radio might remedy the situation. but like i stated earlier, in my experience sirius has always been kinda low and FLAT sounding when it comes to quality.