Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

help! sub install issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 10:21 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default help! sub install issue

ok... so i'm using the stock premium head unit that has rca outs already. my issue is finding a remote wire for my amps. i have an '08 tc, so it came with the stock sub - which has been removed so my amps can mount there.

i've checked the existing harness for the stock sub, but only get 12.xx volts on the blue wire, which never cuts off (so i don't think it's switched).

does anyone one know which wire on the stock sub harness is the remote wire?

here's another thing to think of.... when i connected the stock sub back up, it wouldn't turn on. is there something that i have to do to get the stock sub to work again?

help please!

thanks!
Old 06-21-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

there's a wire you can tapped under the side mirror control, I'll take a pic when I can

the only bad thing about this is your amp is always on when your key is in "on" position"
Old 06-21-2008, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't mind that so much..... i'm about to just start smashing the crap outa the car right about now....

btw, i just figured out two things. one, the stock sub isn't working because the amp takes speaker level inputs. i have cut and spliced in to the harness for the front speaker behind the radio to add one of my amps for. so, no high level inputs, no workie sub-ie.

two, i only have about four feet of d*&&^ed wire for the remote wire. guess i'll be heading to the stereo shop tomorrow for more wire.

still would appreciate where i should connect the remote wire though.

thanks!
Old 06-22-2008, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

sorry for the bad celphone pic.

but if you look under your steering wheel there's a grey wire. tap in there and you should be set.

you're welcome[/img]
Old 06-22-2008, 12:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

first off.... thank you VERY much!

this is exactly why i love this forum! ^_^

that grey wire that you tapped into..... i wound up tapping into the very thin grey wire on the harness that the speakers come out from. it's probably the same wire. it's the second wire from the end... if that helps. it's the only grey wire in that harness.

the amps get power while the car is running...... but the music is always blasting when the car is running too.

thank you again!

** edit... holy hell! these stock speakers scream when you hook up an amp to them! it's like all of a sudden i have tweeters that work! i have an old xtant 121m mono block amp pushing them now..... but when you set the jumpers to disable the crossover, it's all kinds of good. now to get the two jl 12w3s tuned off the old school fosgate 360a2.

happy thumpin' all!
Old 06-23-2008, 10:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PapaMan

** edit... holy hell! these stock speakers scream when you hook up an amp to them!
Yep, not bad at all with an amp, and they'll sound even better once you hi-pass them at around 80Hz, after you implement the subs. I've been running that way for quite a while now, and would even consider NOT upgrading the stock speakers, if it weren't for their poor location in the doors.