Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

High output alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 01:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i'm sarcastic pretty much all the time though lol.

but yeah i suggest some kinetic batteries

hc800 for the stock location and a hc1800 out back. for a batt cap i'd run at least a 15 farad BATT cap. not just a normal capacitor but a BATT CAP. That should beef up your electrical enough to support everything you want to do.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I've done a lot of research about all this. Even talked to the owner of Sundown Audio. He mentioned that a 180amp alternator is okay, but still not quite suffecient. I know I'll need more current if I run it at 1ohm. I have the big 3 already done in 1/0, stock battery under the hood, and a Kinetik HC1800 under my passenger seat. I have extra 1/0 that I'll be using for a negative run. Most SPL guys have a negative run of wire, too. Surprised the heck out of me, but it works. I'm sure it's a lot less resistance than stock sheet metal.

As soon as I get everything installed I'll see how my voltage does. I'll probably have to upgrade my battery under the hood, too. If I do that, I'll probably use an XS Power or an Odyssey.

I'm still a little iffy of installing an alternator built for a tC, Camry, and Highlander on my xB2... Everything looks the same, but the part numbers differ slightly. I guess we'll see when I receive and install it, right?
Old 01-24-2008, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it shouldn't be a problem. literally all the accessories are identical for the xb2 as they are for the tc and camry. i wouldn't be worried about it at all
Old 01-24-2008, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by nebster
it shouldn't be a problem. literally all the accessories are identical for the xb2 as they are for the tc and camry. i wouldn't be worried about it at all
That's exactly what I thought. I even went to the dealer and asked them to see if they could check everything out. Sure enough, the part numbers are different, but the alternators themselves look identical.

I'm hoping the internal regualtors don't differ. That's about all I'm worried about.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't think it should be a problem. hell the ECU's are nearly identical
Old 01-24-2008, 01:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Rad. And see, I didn't know that!!

This is the first car I've ever owned that I 1. had to make payments on; 2. has fuel injection, not chevy TBI (wannabe fuel injection); 3. OBDII; 4. it's actually nice and fun to drive.
Old 01-24-2008, 01:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

lol yeah technology is nice
Old 01-24-2008, 06:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Originally Posted by xseveredveganx
sql doesn't exist.
*rolls eyes*
ask rocketgyrl if it does you can't go either way, you can't have a system set up for spl and have it compete in a sq competition or vice versa.
Woah...WHAT?!? When have I ever said anything of the sort? Ben, don't EVER try to use me or my credentials as support for your claims! I want nothing to do with your delusional world of car audio. You shouldn't be giving advice on car audio, as most of your posts further spread misinformation. Since joining SL, I've literally post chapters worth of car audio fundamentals - usually in response to one of your fabricated creations - yet you still don't learn. I seriously can't believe you've PASSED any engineering classes. If so, your posts speak volumes about your alma mater.

For the record, SQL exists! You'll find the cream of the crop being a part of Team Image Dynamics - trust me, these boys have it down! www.imagedynamicsusa.com As you can imagine, 145dB with music is a difficult feat. Please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_pressure_level You must have the king-kong of electrical systems, amplifiers to drive efficient speakers with a ton of cone-surface area. That being said, for the sake of life long hearing, I hope you don't expose your ears to these extreme SPL's for prolonged periods of time.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by rocketgyrl
I seriously can't believe you've PASSED any engineering classes. If so, your posts speak volumes about your alma mater.
how dare you insult me. granted EE isn't my focus where as ME design is but that doesn't mean i don't have a basic understanding. I don't think before i type and you're right you have never said that before but i remember reading that on DIYM or another forum where a compromise is very hard to achieve without essentially having two separate systems in the car. (i.e. one sub ported to 35z and one ported to 20hz with a switch - bad example but you get the point). I am graduating with HONORS from my school and have a job that probably makes more than both you and your bf / hubby whatever he is COMBINED. But like stated before EE isn't my focus ME design is. In fact i've been doign projects with john deere, caterpillar as well as many other reputable companies. I've been offered 9 jobs at pay more than $95k + in the last 5 months for doing those engineering classes. I'm very proud of my education. I've not made the best comments here on SL but i generally give good guidance towards individuals that have no idea whats going on.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I seriously can't believe you've PASSED any engineering classes. If so, your posts speak volumes about your alma mater.
how dare you insult me. granted EE isn't my focus where as ME design is but that doesn't mean i don't have a basic understanding. I don't think before i type and you're right you have never said that before but i remember reading that on DIYM or another forum where a compromise is very hard to achieve without essentially having two separate systems in the car. (i.e. one sub ported to 35z and one ported to 20hz with a switch - bad example but you get the point). I am graduating with HONORS from my school and have a job that probably makes more than both you and your bf / hubby whatever he is COMBINED. But like stated before EE isn't my focus ME design is. In fact i've been doign projects with john deere, caterpillar as well as many other reputable companies. I've been offered 9 jobs at pay more than $95k + in the last 5 months for doing those engineering classes. I'm very proud of my education. I've not made the best comments here on SL but i generally give good guidance towards individuals that have no idea whats going on.
I didn't insult you - your own posts do that. I've asked you repeatedly to show some proof, or math, or source for your (incorrect) information - yet you've shown nothing. "Truth need not fear skepticism". Your posts clearly demonstrate that you do not have a working knowledge of engineering fundamentals, especially EE. By posting, you're doing a disservice to those members of SL "that have no idea what's going on". Thanks for insulting other members, jerk!

Your experience as an intern at John Deere, Caterpillar, and "many other reputable companies", proves nothing. Anyone will be glad to have a grunt. Also, starting engineer jobs - in any field - do not pay $95K+. Since you don't know what I do, or how much Matt and I make, you're once again talking out of your ___. I'd be happy to compare credentials (Matt's or mine) at any time - but you've gotta post PROOF of yours first, because frankly, we don't believe a thing you say.

Seriously, put down the keyboard and go study.
Old 01-24-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

To keep this thread on topic, check this out:
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...=asc&&start=40
Old 01-24-2008, 03:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

while i will not post my offer for the job i accepted i can assure you i will be making 6 figures as a reliability / durability / project engineer.

that is all i will say i don't need your approval to do anything
Old 01-24-2008, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

while i will not post my offer for the job i accepted i can assure you i will be making 6 figures as a reliability / durability / project engineer.

that is all i will say i don't need your approval to do anything
It's fun to pretend, right??? While you don't need my "approval" to do anything here at SL, you've demonstrated that you have zero credibility, and I'll p0wn you every time you fabricate and post bad information.
Old 01-24-2008, 03:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bringing this to pm's
Old 01-24-2008, 04:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

sl is a petri dish for disputes and misinformation that i blame on lack of moderation and what i guess can be called forum leadership. both as a result of the target age group of our vehicles and the inherent lack of experience that comes with age. when will something be done...
Old 01-24-2008, 04:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

never

i do appologize for rocketgyrl and matt for assulting them as well as accusing them of something that was not said by them i do apologize for that
Old 01-24-2008, 04:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

It's not the moderator's job to be the source of information. We can all learn from eachother. The problem with forums is those that scream loudest, or have a high post count feel they're (and are viwed by others as) "experts" - and their posts might go "unverified". There's no "regulation" of information on forums. It's up to members to engage in rhetoric that provides proof for claims/myths/information.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

It's not the moderator's job to be the source of information. We can all learn from eachother. The problem with forums is those that scream loudest, or have a high post count feel they're (and are viwed by others as) "experts" - and their posts might go "unverified". There's no "regulation" of information on forums. It's up to members to engage in rhetoric that provides proof for claims/myths/information.
its the moderator's job to make the most useful information also the most available. use the search button shouldn't be the answer to everything. it's also their job to remove OT posts and direct people to the right place for OT conversation. neither of these 2 responsibilities are evident on this forum.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Originally Posted by Keeshwah
its the moderator's job to make the most useful information also the most available. use the search button shouldn't be the answer to everything. it's also their job to remove OT posts and direct people to the right place for OT conversation. neither of these 2 responsibilities are evident on this forum.
This is very true. Also regarding post counts, here I don't have many compared to other forums I'm a part of. I know some people, like myself, don't like being treated as a noob. Because in all actuality, I am not. In fact, this whole thread was for people to post up pictures of their high output alternators on their cars and where I could find one. Well, I've already ordered one. Problem solved. I'll see if it'll work correctly on my 2nd gen xB. I appreciate everyone's replies.
Old 01-24-2008, 09:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Totally agree! Too many people believe the first reply to their questions, and then act on that information, when it's often incorrect. If they'd be a bit skeptical, research other sources and at least look for some consensus of facts before proceeding, they'd be a lot better off...and that's also true for topics other than audio.