Notices
Scion tC 1G ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

how to hook up multiple amps?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2006, 08:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default how to hook up multiple amps?

I am going to run components and subs, each off their own amp. I don't know much about audio or electronics, but I've been taking it slow and doing it all myself, so far so good.

First bit of confusion though - I've run a power wire and fuse from the battery into the car, but now I'm confused about what to do for my second amp. Can I splice into the songle power line and run that into both amps? Do I hook up two power wires and fuses to the battery (this doesn't seem right because some people run a ton of amps)? Or do I need something else? I've seen people with things called distributor block, but I have no idea what they are. Is that what I need?

Thanks in advance.
Old 08-01-2006, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Power cable to a Distribution/Fuse Block and from there power to the other amps.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-6FIzVIF...sp?g=715&avf=N
Old 08-01-2006, 09:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: how to hook up multiple amps?

There's more to it than just buying a distribution block, you need to ensure you've got the right size power wire from the battery to the block, and block to amps. The wire guage you need is dependent on the power draw of your amps and distance between amps & battery. If you'll state exactly what amps (brand, model and how many of each) you're using, I'm sure people here will inform you of the required wire size.

Also, there are lots of other decent distribution blocks available for less money than that page from Crutchfield offers. You can get something that functions just as good for only $4.45 by going here.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

before you do anymore, read this!
https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...ee+audio+setup

on the ground wire, dont use a distro blk. Ground them seperate and away from each other. i used 4awg for power and ground. Make sure you sand down to take off the paint to get a good ground!

On the remote, you can do it like this. fom the HU run it to 1 amp, then from amp 1 run it to amp 2.

how did you run the power wire to get into the engine bay? Did you use the ruber boot above the pedals?

What type of wires are you using? I used ALL Stinger and i love it! Very clean and nice!
Old 08-01-2006, 11:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
link
Believe what you want, while the initial post in that thread has some good tips, it also contains some BS.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

^ explain
Old 08-02-2006, 01:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I'm running two eD NiNe.2 amps, one to power eDi-6000 comps and one to power 2 EU-700s.

I have power running from the battery into a fuse holder in the bay, then running behind the engine and into the passenger firewall. I'm using 8ga power wire.

Can I just get a 4ga -> 4 8ga distro block?
Old 08-02-2006, 11:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yanki01
^ explain
Don't really want to get into it, as everyone here seems to have accepted the content of that post as gospel, such that anything I say to the opposite would likely result in personal attacks. It's just not worth it. Two example areas are grounding (to some extent I disagree with the necessity of what you stated) and the recommended RCA cable type (shielded cables can actually allow noise to enter the signal path of car systems), but I don't care to elaborate further, for the reason previously stated. I'm sure you can understand.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Premium Member

ummmm......ok?

i had my 2 grounds going through a distro block and that wasnt gonna work! I then had them about 5" away from each other and that didnt work. After all that i finally put them one on the drivers side and one on the pass side and that worked out fine?

That post does have usefull info! I believe it was explained well!
Old 08-02-2006, 11:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by tegrenath
Can I just get a 4ga -> 4 8ga distro block?
Yes, that would certainly meet your requirements, 4ga from battery to dist.blk., then 8ga to each amp. The inexpensive block I gave you a link to is exactly that type, single 4ga input with 4x 8ga output. You could use a second one (< $5 more) for your ground solution, or go with seperate grounds for each amp, as some people here seem to prefer.